color sand befor clear coat??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2004, 09:10 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Red face color sand befor clear coat???

i kno this may be a silly question but should u color sand after the base coat(s) to me it seems obvious after you get that mirror finish to lock it all in place with a glossy clear coat then wet sand the clear for and even glossier job any help will be greatly appreciated thankyou

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2004, 09:50 PM
Ferguson Coachbuilding

Last journal entry: '41 Chevy sedan
Last photo:

NO!!
If you sand the base coat, you will need to re-coat it with a couple more coats of base before clearing. The sand-scratches will not go away when you add the clear. If you have dirt nibs you want to get rid of, you can sand those and just re-coat that area. Make sure you tack it good before applying the clear though, as the overspray will show up as a color difference.
When I have to sand out a dirt nib, or any other imperfection in the base, I will use PPG DX320 final wash solvent on a lint free cloth and a piece of 1200 grit wet/dry sandpaper. Wipe the area to be sanded the wetted cloth and this will allow you to sand it without 'pulling' the base. If you try it dry, it will ball up on the paper and cause prblems to the base coat worse than the dirt nib. The DX 320 acts as a lubricant, just as if you sere using soapy water, 'cept the DX 320 works better and dries faster. Use a dry lint free cloth to dry it immediately after sanding. Tack it, re-coat, allow flash, tack again and spray clear.

Randy
Old 08-08-2004, 10:54 PM

thank you thank you and once again thank you i appreciate it very much another little question i would like to ask is how many coats of clear i should add if i know i will be color-sanding just to be on the safe side
Old 08-08-2004, 11:12 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,128 Times in 1,001 Posts
What brand paint are you using, and is hardener added to the base? That makes a big difference on if you should sand it or not. Some brands specifically say DO NOT SAND. You can "lightly sand dirt nibs" but they specifically do not want the base sanded flat.

That being said, honesly, you really shouldn't have to sand it flat anyway. The base should be nice and flat when applied. You can sand the clear and buff it to perfection afterward.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:45 AM
Ferguson Coachbuilding

Last journal entry: '41 Chevy sedan
Last photo:

There are a couple ways you can go about it, depending on how good you really want it.

You can apply three coats and have enough material to sand and buff, and you'll get by just fine.

Or, you can apply two coats, let it stand a couple days, sand with 600-1000 grit, apply three flow coats, sand and buff as required. Over reducing the clear for the flow coats by about 4 ounces per mixed quart will allow it to lay glass smooth. You'll have very little buffing to do!

Randy

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.