Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Color Sand Nason Acrylic Enamel?
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2012, 09:41 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,143 Posts
If you used hardener, you are on a roll Cad170. You can start with the 1500 and sand out the bugs and nibs. What it won't do is level the paint (get rid of the orange peal). I used a new gun on the hood of my '36 and had so much orange peal I started with 800 and a 1 inch square aluminum block to level it. I then went to 1200 and finally 2000. What ever you decide to do the key is when you get to the 1500 or 2000, there can not be any sand marks left from the courser papers. I will frequently take a quick pass over the panel with the buffer and look for sand scratches. If you find any go back to the finest paper until all other sand scratches are gone. You will not sand through unless you go crazy. The buffing is where caution must be used. Color sanding and buffing is a time consuming process but is the crown jewel of the paint job no matter how bad it looked coming out of the gun. Keep us posted and good luck

John L