Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - color sanding & buffing help needed
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2006, 10:26 AM

Last journal entry: Update, or fast forward 18 months:
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I'm no expert....

I'm no expert, but I did stay at a Holiday.....wait...but I am in the process of sanding and buffing a new PJ right now. I have found that each panel I buff with 3M Quickcut (I think that's the name) takes a long time. At first, I went all the way around the car only to find that I hadn't buffed nearly long enough, for in good lighting, the paint looks awful.

So, I am going around again and spending a lot more time on each panel, light to medium pressure, and letting the buffer do the work. I am getting pretty good results, but I have yet to get to the glaze or polish. But after just the quick cut, the paint looks nearly perfect.

I'm sure someone will tell me I'm doing it wrong, and I'll welcome any more knowledge I can get.

Oh, and by the way, I was using an air buffer, but my compressor couldn't keep up with it so I bought a cheapo $29 buffer at HF which is variable from 300-3000 RPM and came with a bunch of attachments. So far, it's been great. I'd buy a nicer one, but I don't buff much so hopefully it won't be getting a whole ton of use. It's so much nicer than the air buffer...well worth the price.

Last edited by loyter; 08-18-2006 at 10:33 AM.