Color scheme - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2012, 12:43 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Color scheme

Well I'm getting started on the 78 soon and still haven't picked a color for it. Its a 1978 firebird trans am clone. I'm going to paint it myself. Now i like black but seeing as it's my first paint job i dont know if black is the best route since it will show every little mistake i make
I also wanted to do something a little different since the whole car is being updated to get it up to 21st century standards. The interior is black. I was thinking about a dark red. I dont want it to look completely custom though. I'm trying to do the custom stuff on the car based off a stock look, if that makes sense.
Does anyone have any ideas for a color that will make this car stand out against stock but not be too far out there?
Another note: It gets really hot down here in Florida so i would like to have the windows tinted. So i need the color to tie the darkness of the windows into the car so it all looks right together. I don't want the tint to stand out too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2012, 01:04 PM

Last photo:

Black is no harder to paint than any other color; it just shows off your bodywork skills or lack thereof. I painted my 87 trans am outdoors and it looks great to most people; but the guys here would be able to pick it apart. I know every flaw, and usually you are your own worst critic. You'll get so much street cred and such a rush of satisfaction knowing you did it yourself, the flaws won't much matter.

Personally, I like the early trans am White/ Lucerne Blue scheme. It makes for a very clean car. You could go with a light factory style blue tint and it would look awesome. The other one would be dark green and White with the green 'soda glass' windows. High Performance Pontiac is a cool magazine; and not very expensive. They show a lot of 'factory freaks' in there. Might give you some cool ideas.

Avoid the high metallic paints, and the pearls. Basic colors and taking your time will be more satisfying than trying to do candy blue over silver and making a mess out of it.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:54 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Hmm i like the green a lot. The white looks really clean too. What should i do about the bird though?
Old 10-18-2012, 02:49 PM

Last photo:

Phoenix Graphics has all kinds of factory colored 'birds'. When I got my decals for the trans am I had to send em back because the die cut through some of the graphics. There are non GM licensed products out there, but you never know what you're gonna get. I'd pony up for the GM Licensed product
Old 10-18-2012, 02:52 PM

Last photo:

I saw a Brewster Green 73 SD 455 trans am...holy crap what a gorgeous car.
Its a little more vibrant than the late 60s British Racing Green

LS1TECH - View Single Post - anyone paint their f-bodies a dark green color?
The Following User Says Thank You to AutoGear For This Useful Post:
bigdog7373 (10-18-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 08:00 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoGear View Post
I saw a Brewster Green 73 SD 455 trans am...holy crap what a gorgeous car.
Its a little more vibrant than the late 60s British Racing Green

LS1TECH - View Single Post - anyone paint their f-bodies a dark green color?
WOW! that trans am is beautiful! I really do like that color too! I'll definitely put that as my top choice for now Thanks!
Now another question. I'm doing a partial pro-touring build. The thing i'm thinking about is the polished trim around the windows. What should i do with it? Paint it body color?
Also around the tail lights i see alot of people paint it black. Should i do that or keep it body color?
Old 10-18-2012, 08:56 PM

Last photo:

im a non conformist. When I hear TRANS AM...i would consider it a dis service to go with the standard pro touring cues. To me thats kind of trying to make a firebird more like a camaro.
If it was me, Id take a hard look at the Trans Am race series from the early 70s. I would blend the LOOK of a 70s T/A with the suspension of a pro touring car. 17x8 rims maximum, keep the polished trim. There isnt a lot, and you can still add the aluminum hold down tabs.
A set of big polished minilites, disc brakes, c4 or gen 4 suspension, quick ratio steering and an autogear 4 speed LOL.

My ideas, not yours. Its your car bro, do it your way and it'll be awesome.
Its just to me, part of these old cars is preserving some aspects of the time period and kind of reliving the experience to some degree
The Following User Says Thank You to AutoGear For This Useful Post:
bigdog7373 (10-18-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 09:08 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoGear View Post
im a non conformist. When I hear TRANS AM...i would consider it a dis service to go with the standard pro touring cues. To me thats kind of trying to make a firebird more like a camaro.
If it was me, Id take a hard look at the Trans Am race series from the early 70s. I would blend the LOOK of a 70s T/A with the suspension of a pro touring car. 17x8 rims maximum, keep the polished trim. There isnt a lot, and you can still add the aluminum hold down tabs.
A set of big polished minilites, disc brakes, c4 or gen 4 suspension, quick ratio steering and an autogear 4 speed LOL.

My ideas, not yours. Its your car bro, do it your way and it'll be awesome.
Its just to me, part of these old cars is preserving some aspects of the time period and kind of reliving the experience to some degree
This man has great taste in cars. Listen to him.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:13 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Like i said, it's going to be a PARTIAL pro-touring look. Just updating stuff to get it to ride and perform like a newer car and also updating the interior a little. But i really don't want to sacrifice the original classic look of the car, like you said. Classic look with subtle modern updates.
I just really wasn't sure what to do about the trim. i saw a 79 with all the trim painted body color and it looked really nice, but maybe a bit too modern kinda losing the classic look. I guess i will have to put some more thought into it.
I was going to get 17x8 fronts and 17x9 rear wheels. Thinking about just a regular "torque thrust" design. But i can also get a smokin deal on some zo6 wheels, but i'm not sure about fitment, i think the offset will be an issue. Just gonna get new calipers and upgraded rotors and maybe disk conversion in the rear. It's getting an ls swap and a muncie 4 speed. I was going to do all new gauges inside with a vintage air system, bmw 3 series bucket seats, updated sound system, and a modified console.

Just subtle stuff to update it and make a nice daily car. I want the small changes to set it apart from the crowd.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:22 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog7373 View Post
Like i said, it's going to be a PARTIAL pro-touring look. Just updating stuff to get it to ride and perform like a newer car and also updating the interior a little. But i really don't want to sacrifice the original classic look of the car, like you said. Classic look with subtle modern updates.
I just really wasn't sure what to do about the trim. i saw a 79 with all the trim painted body color and it looked really nice, but maybe a bit too modern kinda losing the classic look. I guess i will have to put some more thought into it.
I was going to get 17x8 fronts and 17x9 rear wheels. Thinking about just a regular "torque thrust" design. But i can also get a smokin deal on some zo6 wheels, but i'm not sure about fitment, i think the offset will be an issue. Just gonna get new calipers and upgraded rotors and maybe disk conversion in the rear. It's getting an ls swap and a muncie 4 speed. I was going to do all new gauges inside with a vintage air system, bmw 3 series bucket seats, updated sound system, and a modified console.

Just subtle stuff to update it and make a nice daily car. I want the small changes to set it apart from the crowd.
Sounds like you have a plan. I went through the same thing with my 1965 C-10. I wanted to do a little bit of comfort upgrades in the interior and some newer style wheels but the more I find a nice classic bench seat, a good lwb stepside bed and all the other goodies, I find myself going closer and closer to stock for the interior and exterior. Hopefully you are less wishy-washy than I. I did have to do something to stand out though, it's got a 455 Olds under the hood. Trying to find a good deal on a muncie or st-10. I was a little jealous when I heard the great deal you got on yours.

Also, I just got done reading Brian's grammar rant on the word "fitment" in the grammar thread right before reading your reply, so I'm chuckling at your recent use of it. I'm sure his spider sense is tingling at this moment.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:41 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

If you search on craigslist I'm sure you can find a deal on a trans. I think I paid $700 for mine, pulled it from a driving car so I believe it to be in good shape.
Im just trying to change up little things that wont take away from the classic feel but will be convenient to have.
And I see "Fitment" is used a lot when talking about wheels and stuff, but I'll admit I don't know the exact definition so I may be using it wrong too lol.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:16 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog7373 View Post
If you search on craigslist I'm sure you can find a deal on a trans. I think I paid $700 for mine, pulled it from a driving car so I believe it to be in good shape.
Im just trying to change up little things that wont take away from the classic feel but will be convenient to have.
And I see "Fitment" is used a lot when talking about wheels and stuff, but I'll admit I don't know the exact definition so I may be using it wrong too lol.
I didn't either until he expressed his distaste for the word. I'm still looking, Craigs is where I get most of my stuff. It can be an amazing place for car parts.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:48 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie5.7 View Post
Craigs is where I get most of my stuff. It can be an amazing place for car parts.
No doubt! I got the bumper, both fenders, 4 wheel flares, spoiler, 4 speed, dash and gauges, shifter, drive shaft, trans crossmember, and the front air dam off a 77 trans am all for $1900

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.