Colorado\Canyon 5-speed swap - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2005, 11:16 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Colorado\Canyon 5-speed swap

The MA5 2WD 5-speed out of the GM Canyon\Colorado pickups may be an interesting T5 alternative. They are closely related to the Jeep AX15 and Toyota R150 5-speeds. Todd Kozak of Kozak Automotive was kind enough to send the following info about them, some pics and some info about a project he and a buddy are involved in:

"Greg, the stock THM 350 mount does indeed bolt up to the MA5, although by the looks of it about 1 inch will need to be sectioned from the total height of the mount to properly orient the trans on the crossmember. The 4 speed pictured is a 1970 vintage Muncie M20 with a Pontiac A-body shifter attached to it. Some floor ' clearancing ' may be necessary but in my opinion not too much. The MA5 shifter is closer to the center of the driveline tunnel , so the opening would be re-located slightly to the right. A good friend of mine is going to put it in his 64 GTO , of all things an original tripower 4 speed car. When I ordered the (Novak) adapter last week, the guy at Novak told me they had a customer who had an AX-15 behind an LS1 in a Jeep and it lasted for 6 months. I'm sure they were off-roading it and pounding on it. We plan to put the MA5 into service behind a 400 Pontiac which has more torque output than the LS1.However, it will be street driven only so it may prove to be a good swap. Time will tell. The MA5 has a 1 1/8 inch diameter 26 spline GM input with 0.668 pilot diameter (Muncie, Borg Warner ST-10, T-56) and 27 spline GM output (TH350, Muncie) shafts. Check out the Muncie 4 speed comparison pic. Use a Novak adapter on the front of the MA5 to bolt it right to a conventional Chevy bellhousing or BOP bellhousing, using all your original clutch linkage etc."

Todds direct email is: djd@acsworld.com

Greg

PS. I forgot to mention. The bellhousing that comes with the MA5 will bolt directly up to a 275HP GM DOHC 4.2L I6 out of the Envoy\Trailblazer\Bravada. Also, the MA5 uses an electronic speedometer output. Gear ratio's are: 3.753 2.26 1.37 1.00 0.729

Novak Jeep AX15 to GM bellhousing adapter:

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2006, 08:34 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Todd sent a pic of his AR5 hooked up to a BOP bellhousing with a Novak adapter. That's a Buick 350 in the background. I guess he's had a change of plan.

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ar5_91.JPG
Views:	12507
Size:	283.8 KB
ID:	12740   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ar5_111.jpg
Views:	11059
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	12743  

Last edited by Greg55_99; 06-13-2006 at 07:04 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.