Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hot Rod Art (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hot-rod-art/)
-   -   colors for Youngrodders.com, looking for feedback (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/colors-youngrodders-com-looking-feedback-112657.html)

Jon 03-29-2007 04:07 PM

colors for Youngrodders.com, looking for feedback

I'm looking for feedback on a new site we're launching in connection with Hotrodders.com: Youngrodders.com -- similar site, but aimed towards the younger crowd.

Thanks to klassik100 (who also designed the contest-winning Hotrodders.com t-shirts), we already have an excellent logo. Now, I've been working on the colors. We're aiming for a "sepia" look. I don't like fancy or gimmicky design. I want it to look decent though, which is reasonably challenging, as colors are not my strong suit.

Here's the site, what do you guys think: Youngrodders.com?.

I'm primarily looking for honest feedback and direct, constructive criticism on:

1. The logo at the top-left -- should we cut out the car part of the logo, and have it just sit on the brown background, without the black square backdrop?

2. The colors -- is that close to a "sepia" look? Does it look too "cream"-colored? What colors would you change or adjust? Is there one that stands out too much, or clashes with the others?

3. The "Youngrodders.com" text at the top -- is the font and overall look proper?

weirdbeard 03-29-2007 04:13 PM

Everything looks good to me accept the background. When I clicked the link and it took me their my first thought was lame. I really like the black background on Hotrodders. It just has a cool feel to it. :cool:

DeathRattle 03-29-2007 06:19 PM

The way it is, is fine.
But black or white is more pleasing to the eyes.

123pugsy 03-29-2007 07:14 PM

I like the colors. I'd like to see the logo w/o the black square to see how it looks. Is the Y in the youngrodders.com text supposed to be spaced so far from the rest of the word? It seems like the oung are a bit cramped.(I'm old so I don't know if supposed to look that way)

Pugsy

DesertrusT 03-29-2007 07:42 PM

Black and whiet are so much better, the sepia look looks like an old aged site in need of an update. Cant wait for it to be finished, looking good with the logo.

Blazin72 03-29-2007 07:44 PM

Don't care for the font used for the Youngrodders title. It looks too graffiti-ish, punkish... I think the colors that were up originally looked better.

I like the black box surrounding the car.

grouch 03-29-2007 07:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon
1. The logo at the top-left -- should we cut out the car part of the logo, and have it just sit on the brown background, without the black square backdrop?

The black square backdrop causes the stylized 'YOUNGRODDERS.COM' text to be broken up where the lettering is thin. It also merges with the body of the car. IMO, a gradient of the same sepia color as on the windshield of the car used as a background would clear up both problems as well as tie it to the theme.

I'm tinkering with it in Gimp, but of course can't post the results without permission. (Asking for a critique is not the same as saying show me ;) ) I've applied a conical gradient with the darkest running as a diagonal from lower right to upper left corner, and lightening as it approaches each of the other two corners.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon
2. The colors -- is that close to a "sepia" look? Does it look too "cream"-colored? What colors would you change or adjust? Is there one that stands out too much, or clashes with the others?

The background seems a little off somehow, but I can't figure out what. The dark brown background with bright white letters seem to fight in the header blocks. The edges of the white text seem to vibrate. The ones below those bright white major headings seem fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon
3. The "Youngrodders.com" text at the top -- is the font and overall look proper?

Looks good to me, but I'm old. :)

[Edited to add attachment -- klassik can't find me anyway!]

Added 2nd image - gradient is brightest behind the young rodder.

Prof. T. Soggmeyer 03-29-2007 08:30 PM

youngrodders type...

I think that the youngrodders type should be enclose in some sort of banner and not floating there...my 2cents worth. I have been a printer for 27 years but hey just my opinion. When my customers ask me what I think of their design, I tell them whatever they like is the most beautiful design I have ever seen.

home brew 03-29-2007 10:48 PM

The black square behind the car has to go. The car merges into it and their is no definition to the back of the car. I like the second image by grouch. Do you need to have two Youngrodders.com at the top of the page and in different fonts? Either font is OK with me.

rebelbill1972 04-03-2007 12:05 AM

re: colors for Youngrodders.com, looking for feedback

IMO...There is not enough contrast between the borders and the back ground. The black square behind the logo blends in with the car too much. And finally, the yellow/tan? colors are kind of boring, I know it's the text we put on them that is supposed to keep our attention but it might get a little hard to look at after a while...

RB

Jon 04-03-2007 01:55 PM

Thanks guys -- this is exactly the kind of input I was hoping for.

--I put grouch's image of the car without the background up there -- it looks much better without the black box, even without the gradient removed: http://youngrodders.com . Is it possible to get just the car, on a transparent background, without it looking choppy? The only way I know how to do it is to cut it out by hand with a "lasso" tool in a graphics editing program, and then clean it up with an edge blur.

--I prefer black/grey too, but I think we're going for a sepia look here.

--Regarding the spacing of the "Y" in Youngrodders, I agree, that should be altered, that won't be too hard. It's just a simple text graphic I made on CoolText.com.

--Enclosing the Youngrodders.com text in some sort of banner or box is an option, I'd be interested to see what others have to say about that.

DeathRattle 04-03-2007 05:30 PM

Looking at the site again, it may look better with a border of some kind around youngrodders.com. There is a lot of empty space up there. Or even an alternative to the border would possibly be another graphic of some sort at the other side, or just a pattern of some kind at the end of the text. Like a checkered flag or something along those lines, just to fill up some of the space.

grouch 04-03-2007 07:24 PM

5 Attachment(s)
If the storms don't knock me offline, I'll attach some more images.

The two with 'car-only' in the name will probably show up with a white background. I will upload the whole Gimp file and also export it to a Photoshop file format (don't know whether all 14 layers will show up or not, as I don't and won't have Photoshop). I'll edit this after the sloooow upload to post the url.

[Edited to add:]

Gimp file: http://edge-op.org/images/youngrodders_logo.xcf

Photoshop file: http://edge-op.org/images/youngrodders_logo.psd

Also have a banner I'll attach to another message.

grouch 04-03-2007 07:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a banner with transparent background, using the youngrodders_title.png and mirror images of the car.

Jon 04-05-2007 03:56 PM

Great, thanks grouch -- now we're getting somewhere. I put the banner up: http://youngrodders.com just to see how it looks. The car sits very well on that background color, but the logo text looks like it needs some sort of work to fit properly.

Do you think this would look good: one of the cars on each side of the "Youngrodders.com" text, facing inwards?