column floor mount possibility? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2012, 01:48 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

column floor mount possibility?

I was in the electrical Dept. at Home Depot and saw some 2" clamp connectors that I think would work for my floor column mount on my 1950 Jeepster. I bought 2 for $5 and cut the collar off one. Drilled its threaded holes out and used it for the moving part of the clamp. I made a plate to mount to the floor and drilled a 2 1/4" hole and put the clamp through the hole using its ring clamp. The angle turned out just right and my 2" column fits perfectly through the clamp. It all seems very secure, cheap, and easy to remove. Any thoughts would be appreciated? Thanks, Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	steering mount 002.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	854.0 KB
ID:	63727   Click image for larger version

Name:	steering mount 009.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	963.8 KB
ID:	63728  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2012, 03:19 PM

Last photo:

your an official hot rodder now...

i wanted to make steps for my bucket for short legged people. did the sq tubing build and went to harley D for flat pegs... $60 bucks apiece??? don't think sooooo... was in lowes electrical a few days later and found chrome diamond plated sw covers...
i've had several people mention they liked the steps and wondered where i got the chrome step pieces.... Shhhhhhhhh !!
Old 04-19-2012, 11:19 AM

Additional Info on the Home made clamp

Hey Evan, would you happen to have any additional pictures. I don't understand how you joined the 2 clamps together? did you weld clamps.

So what I see is 2 C shaped clamps connected by 2 boths.
1 threaded clamp with a ring that tightens it to the sheet metal.

Maybe a few more pictures would help, I am at this step right now and love the idea of this, save me 60 buck.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:26 PM

Last photo:

pripat,
Here are a few more pictures. The clamps are electrical 2" clamps. On both clamps I threw away the steel clamp that moves and tightens with the screws. I cut the cast flange off behind the face by the 2" ring clamp on one clamp, and drilled the holes so the screws would pass through. I used this piece as the half that tightens with the screws into the other cast clamp. I took the shift arm off the column and slid on the clamp and replaced the arm. Then I slid the column and clamp through the hole I cut in the firewall. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	steering mount 001.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	65178   Click image for larger version

Name:	steering mount 002.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	854.0 KB
ID:	65179   Click image for larger version

Name:	steering mount 006.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	849.1 KB
ID:	65180  

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.