Hot Rod Forum banner

Column shift adjustment after 700R4 install.

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  S10xGN 
#1 ·
Just changed out my TH350 to a 700R4. Its in a 69 nova with column shift. Im wondering if anybody knows if I can lengthen the rod that connects to the trans and be able to get manual shifting from 1rst all the way to park. It seems like it would work but I thought Id try to see if anybody has done it. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
i had to do this when i installed a 3 speed column (astro van) and 700r4 into my 58 truk
you need to make the column lever a little longer to make it work
you could also shorten the trans lever, but i figured that method might make hard shifting

i set up the PRNDLLL so that N was correctly located by adjusting (or bending) the shift rod
that made R, D and the neutral safety switch right, the prndlll is a little off when you grab 1st

i made a 2 piece crank arm and clamped it with a vicegrip to set up the right length and then welded it
i also had to set up an intermediate jack shaft due to the location of the shift lever on the left side
your nova shouldn't need the jack shaft

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.