Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Column shifter on a mustang?
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2005, 09:10 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Column shifter on a mustang?

I have a 97 gt convertible with an automatic transmission. The floor shifter sits too far forward and IMHO kind of retarded looking. I am considering putting in a column shifter. It would be super easy to do considering Ford uses basically the same components in crown vics and several other models.

For the practical side since it is an auto there is not a lot of shifting going on anyhow. Even if you were a racer who likes to power shift I think you could do it faster with a column rather than have to lean forward, push the lock button in and move the floor lever. With a column you move your hand 3 inches and back to the wheel. Plus it would free up space on the center console for storage and electronic gadgets.

If the car was standard shift I could see it being a little more awkward but it is not. Hell I can not even spout off 4 on the floor. My basic concept is more of a street cruiser than a drag or road racer.

Is this blasphemy? Is a floor shifter such a part of the sports theme going against the grain is verboten? Will I be ridiculed non stop (although that is not a big concern).