Hot Rod Forum banner

Combustion Chamber Volume Question

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  71C10 
#1 ·
How does combustion chamber volume effect a head? I am looking at a Edelbrock performer aluminum head and there's one with a 70c chamber and I think the other is 64cc. What does one give that the other doesn't?

#2 ·
Your target static compression ratio would make the choice for you. The combustion chamber volume mated with the piston crown configuration, deck height and gasket choice will all work together to give you a c.r. that you can live with. Available fuel will determine the actual c.r. that you can run without detonation.

#3 ·
From a general perspective correct compression.

Depending on the cubic inch displacement having a choice of 64 or 70cc chambers allows you to design a better piston configuration. Anytime, in my opinion, you can run as close as possible a flat top versus a dome or dish, is an advantage. Juggling chamber size allows that.

#4 ·
My current motor is a 383 stroker. Here's my situation. I have valve cover gaskets leaks, head gasket leaks and when I changed the plugs recently they were oily and black leading me to believe I may have worn valve guides. Sending this out to get the gaskets fixed and any machining done is going to run at least $1000 bucks. I may be able to it myself (except for the machining). The heads are stock ones but they were milled, bowl-cut, ported, polished and flowed. Should I spend my money on brand new aluminum heads (Edelbrock performer 170cc) while I have the top apart or should I re-use what I've got, provided I don't find anything terminal when I open it up? I am looking for a head that provides torque and I've read anything 180cc and below is good for torque. What would you guys do?

#5 ·
The new AFR 180's or 195's would be great but are more money. Just need to figure out how much power you think you'll be happy with. Click here to see what the old version of 195's are capable of with a very small cam. The new 180's flow about what my old 195's did up to .500 lift.

How much cam and compression are you running?

#7 ·
The compression is 10 to 1. I don't know the cam specs.

The AFR's get great reviews but there's always the cost factor. I can get the Edelbrock RPM's online for $998 shipped to my door. I am leaning towards the Edelbrocks unless I can get a deal on the AFR's.

Thanks for the help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.