Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Come On Man!
Thread: Come On Man!
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 05:13 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by malc View Post
Errrrrr

These cars are reminding me of story's...again... In the early 70's I had my Firebird and a guy I knew fairly well, well we got along most times owned a Hemi Charger Daytona, one day he was working on his car and I asked what he was doing, he told me he was driving his Charger down the road and he sucked something down the carb and he had just finished taking the junk out of his carb. I asked what did you pull out of the carb....he said "a Firebird, just like yours". Well now it's on.

I never drove my car in the Winter and would always buy what we called a Winter beater, the Winter after my friend had claimed to pull a Firebird out of his carb I bought a 59 Pontiac and started thinking. I went to the local lumber yard and bought three 8 foot 2 X 8's prime spruce and rescued an old box that used to hold a refrigerator and a roll of duct tape. I cut and shaped that box and made a Daytona front end for my 59 Pontiac and taped it on with duct tape, made a rear wing out of the 2 x 8 spruce and with four 4 inch bolts (bolted from the inside of the trunk out so a good inch and a half of bolt was showing through the deck lid), I had a Daytona as well. I spray painted Daytona on the rear quarters and had 426 Hemi spray bombed on the hood. I was now ready to visit my buddy...I pulled up to his shop, reved that old six cylinder until he finally came out. I opened my window and told him that I had just cleaned out my headers and this was stuck in no. 2 cylinders exhaust port...told him it looked like my Firebird did more damage to a Daytona than a Daytona did to a Firebird. Fortunately he enjoyed it, we had a good laugh and probably became better friends.

Honestly, my car never was in the same league as my buddies Daytona but, that Lincoln just reminded me of my old 59 Daytona Grand Prix.

Ray