Come On Man! - Page 66 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2013, 04:10 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,076 Times in 959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
I like patina, but rust, and dents aren't my thing. I'm OK with well worn paint, and even some primer. But I just don't know why someone drives a vehicle forever and leaves the dents, rust holes, etc.
My vehicles aren't show rides, but I try to get around to paint sooner or later. This one may have to wait another year for paint, unless I can find a shop to borrow, and learn to shoot it myself!
There is a whole different story in my opinion from your original paint car with primer spots at the hot rod mods and the fake "patina" rat rod look. your car is build JUST AS you would have 40 years ago. Just make mods and go race! It isn't "fake" wear and tear, it's REAL. In the Rat rod world perfectly fine parts are damaged to look old, ignorant, I don't get it. I have a nephew who has a "traditional" hot rod and he has some friends who have "Rat rods". One of them was at a swap meet with him and he bought a 40 Ford hub cap, a nice hub cap. As they walked away he banged it on the ground and scratched it on the concrete so it would look old! I don't get it, I don't get it. Not when the F-ing parts ARE old parts out there with damage, if that is what you want go get one. Why on earth would he need to get a decent old part and dent and scratch it? He couldn't find an original 75 year old hubcap that had some dents and scratches, boy that must be hard.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2013, 04:15 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
Brian, are those controls for the gas pedal and brake? Is that legal?
Don't know Ray. I have a number of friends who are handicapped and have dealt with these controls most of my life, and I own a Vehicle code book for the state, I have never seen a law or heard of one that says HOW you control your car, with a rope tied to you nose, nothing, I have never seen a thing on the subject.

I think what it comes under is "Officers discretion" a cop could impound this thing if he wanted and I believe he would have the right, I think it is dangerous and it should be removed from the highway.

Brian
Old 08-16-2013, 04:20 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

I agree Brian, I have nothing against Rat Rods...if you like that sort of thing. I've seen some done and done well. What bothers me though is that sometimes I feel as though it's a way to get away with doing anything. If it's not right, well it doesn't matter, it's a Rat Rod.

I just feel that sometimes it's a way out of spending the time to make things better, often it can't be a shortage of cash, they have more money in some of those than a frame off resto. I've seen it before as well where a respectable old part was damaged because of the rat rod look that the had to have. I know of a case where a perfectly good hood on an old Dodge 2dr was walked on to give it that damaged look, how much skill does that take. But, to each their own.

Ray
Old 08-16-2013, 05:14 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

I wonder what would happen to the driver if there was an accident and he was driving with those homemade controls Brian? If he wasn't skewered on them, and survived, I'd guess he'd be lucky to not get sued for everything he owned, as any good lawyer could show those controls most likely caused the accident, whether they did or not.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:24 PM

Last photo:

Guys you can't believe how bad they are. I would shoot a video but the car has left. They flopped around, we weren't supported by anything. You could move them to the left or the right a foot, to get in you had to lift them up and hook them on the steering wheel, then get in and let them lay on your knees so you could spin the wheel! You can't believe how much of a hacked joke they were. Any of use could make something a thousand times better in our friggin sleep out of a cut up lawn mower handle. You couldn't believe how bad they were.

Brian
Old 08-16-2013, 08:38 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
Would this be a better choice 50 cnevy with a s10 frame bagged,6.0 LS and OD trans, probably the most expensive thing would be the wheel and tire combo,
this is a local truck Driven,,,,The way it should be. IMO I would love to own it
Now THAT is something I'd love to have and drive!
Old 08-16-2013, 10:17 PM
Proud LOSER

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
There is a whole different story in my opinion from your original paint car with primer spots at the hot rod mods and the fake "patina" rat rod look. your car is build JUST AS you would have 40 years ago. Just make mods and go race! It isn't "fake" wear and tear, it's REAL. In the Rat rod world perfectly fine parts are damaged to look old, ignorant, I don't get it. I have a nephew who has a "traditional" hot rod and he has some friends who have "Rat rods". One of them was at a swap meet with him and he bought a 40 Ford hub cap, a nice hub cap. As they walked away he banged it on the ground and scratched it on the concrete so it would look old! I don't get it, I don't get it. Not when the F-ing parts ARE old parts out there with damage, if that is what you want go get one. Why on earth would he need to get a decent old part and dent and scratch it? He couldn't find an original 75 year old hubcap that had some dents and scratches, boy that must be hard.

Brian
And that frustration i understand. I'm not a huge fan of fake patina by any stretch with a very few minor exceptions. My car is 43 years old, and it looks 43 years old lol, never garaged and it sat in the sun the entire time. Minor dents, a few dings, and I won't change it. I love Patina when its earned. Mechanically the car is perfect, its safe, its reliable, and looks like a beater. Perfect.....but not an inch of it is faked.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:41 PM
Heathen

Last photo:

One-of-a-Kind Car Is COMPLETELY Covered in Canadian Bison Leather | Oddity Central - Collecting Oddities
Old 08-17-2013, 05:07 AM
Artful Dodger

Last journal entry: From behind
Last photo:

Here's one I found...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1150374_398578580243510_182407147_n.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	76713  
Old 08-17-2013, 06:27 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job~Rated View Post
Here's one I found...
That's probably the only thing you could do to a MII and make it better. At least it doesn't look like a Pinto anymore.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:11 AM

Last photo:

OMG, I mean OMG! Talk about a passion, talk about sticking to a theme, holy cow!

Brian
Old 08-17-2013, 08:12 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
That's probably the only thing you could do to a MII and make it better. At least it doesn't look like a Pinto anymore.
I hate seeing that because I love those little cars. There is a place in my heart for them being I drove them a lot off my dad's used car lot back when I was 16-17, good times.

Brian
Old 08-17-2013, 08:36 AM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

My oldest son also drove one off of my lot I told him to pull it in the shop for a detail,,i just forgot to tell him to open the overhead door first,

he said the brakes failed ???
Old 08-17-2013, 08:36 AM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
OMG, I mean OMG! Talk about a passion, talk about sticking to a theme, holy cow!

Brian
Actually, that would be "Holy Bison"...

Old 08-17-2013, 03:33 PM

Last photo:

Heres my find of the day

Tags
automotive photography, humor

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.