Come Support Flint Drag Strip "engine test session" (legal racing on the street) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2008, 09:52 AM
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Come Support Flint Drag Strip "engine test session" (legal racing on the street)

I know this is not actually about a motor, but the mayor of Flint built a drag stip on a street in the middle of Flint (across the street from Kettering Universtiy). They are having a "car show and engine testing session" this Saturday from noon to 6 pm. I can only assume that the "engine testing" will be done by racing cars down the strip. I am bringing my car.

I think this will be a lot of fun for anyone near Flint.

here is an article on it. Look at the little box about half way down on the right labeled "start your engines"

The more support we get, the faster the real track will be built.

http://www.mlive.com/flintjournal/in...son_say_1.html

Adam

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2008, 10:17 AM
Horsepower Enthusiast

Last journal entry: Finished BMOD001FH
Last photo:

Hey Adam,

I wish I lived closer to flint I would be there in a heartbeat. The city of duluth, mn recently started doing a once a year event on a seldom used avenue that runs under a bridge that hardly anyone ever drives on.

It was the same complaints and gripes that you are experiencing from alot of your townspeople. The only thing that was on that road was a goodwill and people swore that citizens were going to be killed by the hundreds when these cars veered off the road and smashed into the building...they made it sound like fact not possibility.

So the organizers put heavy restrictions on the drivers. And now the only people who can run these "time trials" are people with prior race experience. And the tech inspections are almost impossible to pass.

No car has left the track and no one has ever been hurt. But that would have been the case regardless.

I like the line in that article. "there are going to be fistfights over who won the race"....ridiculous
Old 09-10-2008, 10:46 AM

Last photo:

This is a great idea. Unfortunately, it conflcts with the Street Rod Nationals in Kalamazoo this weekend. Hopefully, the idea will catch on and other cities will adopt something similar. Many cities are now sanctioning cruises styled after the Woodward Avenue Dream Cruise.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:55 PM

Last photo:

I hope it all works out. Beyond the fact that it will be a lot of fun, Flint needs something like this. It will be good for the town to give some people a reason to come here and spend money, even if it is only gas.

Adam
Old 09-10-2008, 09:10 PM

Last photo:

I drove to the Bluff street location this afternoon. Tho it is no showplace and not really level. It is a start. And better than the closest, presently operating, drag strip.

When I was first bitten by the Hot Rod thing. We raced on a closed piece of road, out in the woods, up in Lake county. No gaurdrails, poor surface, and full 1/4 mile runs. Used a flagman and headlights flashing for timers and even gave out trophies.

One of the racers went on to Open up a drag strip in Kaleva Mi. Now known as Northern Michigan Dragway.
He then re-opened Central Michigan Dragway (Mid-Michigan Motorplex). One of the oldest tracks in Michigan.

This guy fought the nay-sayers from the beginning. He had a vision and a love for drag racing. Determined and a bit stubburn. Some of the same features of Flints mayor. Old School! In todays world. Rare, but I like it.

Jim Ledford built a class track with Mid Michigan Motorplex. Mostly by himself... With just a little help, Mayor Don could accomplish it in Flint too!

If this works out I will build an 1/8 mile car. Then have some fun!
Old 09-11-2008, 10:20 AM

Last photo:

I agree. I think if there is some order kept it can be safe. I have seen some street racing that is anything but orderly (my young and stupid days) and have never seen anyone get hurt. That does not mean it cant happen, but I just dont think bad things happen as often as people think.

Adam

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.