Cometic head gasket oil leak fix question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2012, 04:18 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Cometic head gasket oil leak fix question

Whining again about my new high dollar professionally built 496 blower motor. I pulled the engine and confirmed the oil is seeping out both side where the heads are rounded in the rear. Both sides have a nice oil trail. I can only assume the engine builder didn't get things smooth enough. I am going to pull the Edelbrock heads, clean it up and put felpro 1017's on. It has ARP bolts with 1/2" 12 point heads. Not sure if engine guy used eddy specific bolt or if it matters on a mark IV. Any tip on reassembly would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2012, 05:14 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown496
Whining again about my new high dollar professionally built 496 blower motor. I pulled the engine and confirmed the oil is seeping out both side where the heads are rounded in the rear. Both sides have a nice oil trail. I can only assume the engine builder didn't get things smooth enough. I am going to pull the Edelbrock heads, clean it up and put felpro 1017's on. It has ARP bolts with 1/2" 12 point heads. Not sure if engine guy used eddy specific bolt or if it matters on a mark IV. Any tip on reassembly would be greatly appreciated.
What kind of blower pressures, my experience has been that boosted motors really need stainless O rings to stay tight especially when they see frequent excursions into high power settings. I'd also gone for studs rather than bolts, understand that in the end the strength of the threads in the block dictate how much force can be applied, but studs remove installation, removal wear and tear on those threads as well as the rotational moments when torquing the fastener. This lets you get to the higher yield modulus of ARP fasteners which is necessary with a blower to keep the head well and evenly squished between the fastener and the block deck. I, also, like to go around the fasteners every few months just to be sure they're holding their torque settings. I find that blower motors are not the kind of thing you build and forget, they like a little extra attention.

Bogie
Old 01-31-2012, 05:48 PM
gearheadslife

Last journal entry: The TwoTonShu #10
Last photo:

I 2nd the studs..
Old 01-31-2012, 06:12 PM

Last photo:

About 5lb boost and only the occasional cruise night burst. Spends 99% at 2000rpm.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:49 PM

Last photo:

Have you re-checked the torque on the head bolts?

I'd also suggest a switch to studs, but check the torque first, to see if you can pinpoint the issue.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:54 PM

Last photo:

Torque is right on. Do Mark IV blocks have blind holes in the corners? Could that be the problem?
Old 01-31-2012, 08:30 PM

Last photo:

All head bolt holes are thru to water and require sealer
Old 01-31-2012, 08:49 PM

Last photo:

Just makes no sense oil could migrate like that.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:26 AM

Last photo:

From what I've been told buy the engine builders I know, you must spray the Cometic gaskets with Hylomar between the layers. They have seen many a gaskets wick oil through the layers. Hard to believe.
I'm converting my Rodeck block from "O" Ringed and copper head gaskets to regular flat deck with Cometic or FelPro MLS. I cant take the leaking mess any more! The machine shop was able to cut the stainless "O" Rings flat and do a slight deck job on it. Can't wait to get her back together. Looks purdy!

Keith
Old 03-20-2012, 04:30 PM

oik leak

i thought mine were leaking between the block and head, but at a closre inspection, the head gaskets didnt come all the way to the intake mating surface, i thought i sealed them well, but one corner is leaking in the back, it was really hard to tell where it was coming from, but the oil was running down under the lip of the head, you cant just put silicone on the block where the intake meets, but fill the small area where the head gasket doesnt come all the way up to the intake, front and back.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:03 AM

Last photo:

i thought mine were leaking between the block and head, but at a closre inspection, the head gaskets didnt come all the way to the intake mating surface, i thought i sealed them well, but one corner is leaking in the back, it was really hard to tell where it was coming from, but the oil was running down under the lip of the head, you cant just put silicone on the block where the intake meets, but fill the small area where the head gasket doesnt come all the way up to the intake, front and back.

I sent the gaskets to Cometic. They told me the .050 gaskets with a solid cylinder ring sometimes would not crush. That was causing some compression leaking and forcing liquid between layers. They are sending me a new 5 layer design set at no charge. That is a stand up deal in my book.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:26 PM

glad they are standing behind there product, if i have anymore issues with mine, i'll do the same, lol

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.