Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodders' Lounge (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodders-lounge/)
-   -   Comfy seats? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/comfy-seats-228765.html)

Alaska Gasser 01-24-2013 01:36 AM

Comfy seats?
 
I made it to the big city today and was able to spend a couple hours looking through wreckers checking out bench seats for my '48 Chev p/u. Here are my guidelines; must be low profile due to the chop (this ruled out the Fords), must be a 60/40 split for comfort, be adjustable backwards and must be manual, no power for wiring ease and so low to the floor. The only ones I found that would work was a '96ish Dodge that seemed a little thin on padding and a 2011 Chevy that is similar to the ones in my '07 truck. My '07 seats are not comfortable for long distance. Considering what they want (minimum $650 each) I really don't want to go with one and not be happy with it.

Anyone have any experience with either of these seats long distance? Recommendations for or against?

BOBCRMAN@aol.com 01-24-2013 06:43 AM

Go with the 96-97 Dodge 1500 seats. I have three of these trucks and they are very comfortable cloth seats. I have made a couple of cross country trips in one and the seats saved my donkey!

ogre 01-24-2013 01:16 PM

your not going to find much in the way of a low profile seat unless it comes from an old vehicle
most newer seats have high backs or medium high with headrests
for my 58 truck i used 07 for fusion seats with the headrests removed and a 6 inch chop
very comfortable :D

they do not meet any of your requirements, just an idea to look for what fits the width and make it work

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/n...0519091205.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/n...0930091702.jpg

MARTINSR 01-24-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alaska Gasser (Post 1638206)
I made it to the big city today and was able to spend a couple hours looking through wreckers checking out bench seats for my '48 Chev p/u. Here are my guidelines; must be low profile due to the chop (this ruled out the Fords), must be a 60/40 split for comfort, be adjustable backwards and must be manual, no power for wiring ease and so low to the floor. The only ones I found that would work was a '96ish Dodge that seemed a little thin on padding and a 2011 Chevy that is similar to the ones in my '07 truck. My '07 seats are not comfortable for long distance. Considering what they want (minimum $650 each) I really don't want to go with one and not be happy with it.

Anyone have any experience with either of these seats long distance? Recommendations for or against?

Have you checked the width well? As I remember there isn't a full size truck seat that would fit in those cabs. I'm looking for an original one, wish you were close enough for me to get it, that would give you a few bucks for your new seat. :(

Brian

Alaska Gasser 01-24-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 1638356)
Have you checked the width well? As I remember there isn't a full size truck seat that would fit in those cabs. I'm looking for an original one, wish you were close enough for me to get it, that would give you a few bucks for your new seat. :(

Brian

I know the full size may have to be narrowed a bit, but 3 people will be able to fit more comfortably than with say a Ford Ranger seat. I wish you had been nearby. I sent 3 original seats to the crusher because I couldn't find anyone that wanted them. :(

ogre- reference the low profile, I meant the height of the seat bottom as I'll need to sit close to the floor.

NEW INTERIORS 01-24-2013 06:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I use the cavalier seats alot...

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/atta...1&d=1359077308

496CHEVY3100 01-24-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alaska Gasser (Post 1638206)
I made it to the big city today and was able to spend a couple hours looking through wreckers checking out bench seats for my '48 Chev p/u. Here are my guidelines; must be low profile due to the chop (this ruled out the Fords), must be a 60/40 split for comfort, be adjustable backwards and must be manual, no power for wiring ease and so low to the floor. The only ones I found that would work was a '96ish Dodge that seemed a little thin on padding and a 2011 Chevy that is similar to the ones in my '07 truck. My '07 seats are not comfortable for long distance. Considering what they want (minimum $650 each) I really don't want to go with one and not be happy with it.

Anyone have any experience with either of these seats long distance? Recommendations for or against?

We have built several 48-54 chevy 3100 trucks latley most are using 88-01 chevy worktruck seats they have removeable covers ,no glue ,correct wigth low backs,sone use same year silverado.and do not recover since they are offered in cloth or leather ,I am using Toyota camry seats and console I needed adjustable heighy so i used power in one and 84 Corvette in other because Every thing in it is Corvette ,Engine ,trans ,rear,complete front suspension ,interior and electrical wheels tiresand tilt brackets for hood it will tilt my complete front clip ,so i used seats also

496CHEVY3100 01-24-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 1638356)
Have you checked the width well? As I remember there isn't a full size truck seat that would fit in those cabs. I'm looking for an original one, wish you were close enough for me to get it, that would give you a few bucks for your new seat. :(

Brian

do you know what it would cost to ship a seat to you from Ga.

302 Z28 01-26-2013 12:49 PM

I went through the seat problem when I was looking for a seat for my 34. I even came home with a few and actually mounted them only to discover I didn't like them. I finaly sprung for a custom made seat from Teas. The seat is made specifcally to fit my vehicle. Yes it was pricey but it is without a doubt one of the most comfortable seats I have sat in in a car. I figure I was spending upwards of $40K on my 34 why in the hell would I want a wrecking yard seat in it.:pain: This is just the way it arrived.
http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/da.../DSC000052.JPG

Vince

Alaska Gasser 01-27-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 302 Z28 (Post 1638953)
I went through the seat problem when I was looking for a seat for my 34. I even came home with a few and actually mounted them only to discover I didn't like them. I finaly sprung for a custom made seat from Teas. The seat is made specifcally to fit my vehicle. Yes it was pricey but it is without a doubt one of the most comfortable seats I have sat in in a car. I figure I was spending upwards of $40K on my 34 why in the hell would I want a wrecking yard seat in it.:pain: This is just the way it arrived.
http://www.hotrodders.com/gallery/da.../DSC000052.JPG

Vince

I will definitely check them out. I like the looks of the seat to include the kick up at the front. Thanks for the info.

panhead1961 02-26-2013 08:06 PM

They are building a seat for my 34 Chevy sedan now.:drool:

sedanbob 02-26-2013 09:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My back seat in my '33 sedan is a front seat from a coupe. I bought mine from Wise Guys - very comfy. We sent them the fabric so it would match everything else. They have different sizes for different vehicles. They also have an option to lower the seat cushion 2 inches, and you can chop the back too.

496CHEVY3100 02-27-2013 08:23 PM

Probably one of the best looking seats i have seen ,looks very plush but firm ,also Great choice of color,should not have sold my 34 4 dr sedan chevy ,well we live and learn.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.