Comments on 413 Mopar - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2008, 02:20 PM

Last journal entry: Harley/Fire
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Comments on 413 Mopar

Hey guys, I've finally had a little time to get back to upgrades on my '50 Plymouth coupe. I had other ideas for drivetrain after the suspension work, but have come across a running 413 with trans and I'd like to keep my Mopar a Mopar! (it was previously a flathead 218) As you may remember my Henry J is small block Chevy powered (all work by me- so I'm familiar with most aspects of building). I am not very familar with Mopar engines so my question is: do any of you Mopar guys have any comments regarding this engine; possible upgrades and problems to expect, etc.- Just kinda 'benchrace' some thoughts by me... Thanks for any advice. DJ

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2008, 02:32 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

The 413 is a typical Mopar RB engine. No surprises, no problems and is a straight forward engine capable of BIG horsepower. When I was looking for a new motor for my '64 Polara I was looking for a good 413 but had to settle for a 440. All the big block Mopars are great engines, period end of story.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:00 PM
Sophisticated Minimalist

same engine family as the famous 440...only major difference is that it has a smaller bore...as far as I know any aftermarket parts that will bolt on to a 440 block will bolt onto a 413 block...horsepower numbers are very comparable to a similarly built 440's, just with a little less oomph, it would probably be most noticeable at lower rpms...they are great engines, I've always had kinda a thing for 'em for some reason, you don't hear about them very often but they're not oddball engines so parts are pretty easy to get...any idea what the one you found is out of and what state of tune it's in? regardless I would pick it up...
Old 01-20-2008, 03:34 PM

Last photo:

Thanks guys- that is definitely worth hearing! I believe it is an earlier year and out of a passenger car- I know in later years they put them in motor homes so they must be a capable powerplant. If anybody has 'tried and true' parts suppliers I'd appreciate the info. i'll check numbers when I find more 'shop time'! Thanks again.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:52 PM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi Dragon,
Another Beach boys song,
A Fuel Injected Stingray & a 413 revving up there
engines really sounding mean.
A great engine.
Good luck,
Rich
Old 01-20-2008, 05:48 PM
Sophisticated Minimalist

yeah the 413 Max Wedge was one of chrysler's top performance engines in the early 60's and did very well in racing...they set alot of records and won plenty of races, the motor grew into the 426 Wedge in the mid-60's...the motor home editions of the 413 are pretty choked down with small valve heads and such, but they have plenty of potential and alot of low end torque...check out www.allpar.com they have alot of information on just about every chrysler engine and vehicle out there, it's a good site...some drag cars with hot 413's in the early 60's supposedly pulled consistent mid-12 second quarter miles...according to allpar the 413 set four NHRA class records in 1962...I've been wanting to do something with a 413 for a while now...
Old 01-20-2008, 10:08 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I say Go For It

Shane
Old 01-21-2008, 07:10 AM

Last photo:

hey guys- thanks for the info and comments- I'll read up on it and get my ideas but the engine bay is large enough so I'm going with it/ not sure about steering but many options for me there (I already have a manual rack) It is not a Max and I wonder about parts availability or possibility of conversion, but with more education I'm sure I'll get a plan. Again, Thanks and any other parts sites or info is appreciated!
Old 01-21-2008, 09:47 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon J
hey guys- thanks for the info and comments- I'll read up on it and get my ideas but the engine bay is large enough so I'm going with it/ not sure about steering but many options for me there (I already have a manual rack) It is not a Max and I wonder about parts availability or possibility of conversion, but with more education I'm sure I'll get a plan. Again, Thanks and any other parts sites or info is appreciated!
Max Wedge engines had special large port heads and the intake was port matched so using a Max Wedge intake on standard production heads won't work very well. You can still find unmolested Max Wedge heads on E-bay but they are a bit pricey. The intake shown in the pics above is the long runner cross ram used in the very early 60's on Chrysler 300's and is very rare now. It was not used on Max Wedge engines.

The Max Wedge cross ram was used beginning in '62 and is a much better manifold. It is currently available from Mancini Racing in new castings for BOTH Max Wedge and standard production heads. Only $1300 or so plus carbs and linkage of course. There were several other minor differences between the Max Wedge engines and the standard production versions but just about every part is available to assemble any version of the Max Wedge you might want to build.

If you want something a little more streatable there was a "street wedge" version in '64 (426 wedge) that had a single 4 bbl. carb and hydraulic cam. It still made very respectable HP though.

Last edited by Centerline; 01-21-2008 at 09:56 AM.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:00 AM

Last photo:

426 standard bore

This would be better

or maybe this one

Of course a 383 runs great and has plenty of power..factory dual quad setup makes it better and probably rare than even the crossram...

I do have a standard bore 1963 426 max wedge block that we have been keeping for a project..was going into a Willys gasser but that got scratched. The big block mopars are pricey to build but are great motors and unique. Not sure on selling the AAQA block yet? Dont forget a 340 six pack setup would be pretty cool too.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:15 AM

Last photo:

The biggest problem with 413 is getting pistons that don't sit way down in the hole. $$$$

And the motor home heads are totally different and unuseable for car applications. 2 inches taller, water outlets on the front, unique exhaust port holes and manifolds. Some of them have wierd crankshaft snouts.
361s and 413s were made up into the mid 70s.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:30 PM

Its important to note that the Truck 413 is different than the 59-65 413's! The 59-65 413's had 516 closed chambered heads and steel cranks! Yes the pistons are more expensive than the other RB engins due to popularity. The truck 413's while similar have totally different heads and exhaust manifolds and are extremely low comp engines. The early 413's have non-hardened exhaust valve seats and higer comp ratios. IMO they are very comparable to the 383 but with alot more torque!!! I put a 64 in a 78 Dodge truck with 3.55 gears and a 440 Magnum cam with a factory 4 bbl. It was awesome!!! Very cool when you its a 413 and they say "huh?"
Old 01-28-2011, 10:57 PM

Last photo:

Just a vague memory from long ago, but I one time I looked at a "performance" Chrysler car, something like maybe one of the 300 series cars, or something like that. Anyway, remember doing a little research on it and it seems I found something about the right hand motor mount being different on the block becuz of the frame of that particular model car or something.

Probly very rare, but might not hurt to take a look.

My father and uncle drove 413 New Yorkers for a number of years.

Surprisingly fast for a big car, at least for it's day.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:57 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

We had a '61 300 w/the 413 wedge and the wide-A dual 4 intake on it. Awesome looking mill.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.