Hot Rod Forum banner

Comments appreciated! Poor acceleration on Jeep CJ-7 with AMC 360 Engine

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  amcramblermarlin 
#1 ·
Hi everyone.

I've a 1977 Jeep Cj which I've recently modified and restored. But it never accelerated as I expected it to do.
After a coupld thousand miles, when changing the tranny fluid, I found a lot of debris in the pan. I don't know why!!!
Later I checked the pan and there's not more debris or metalic particle inside the fluid.

It doesn't rev. much more than 4000 rpm and when taking off, it seems there's much gap from stop to full stall???

I'm wondering what parts are not matching, or have I damaged my converter?

I really appreciate if I get some comments/Ideas as I'm really lost. :drunk:

Thanks so much,
Houman

Just a little note about the driveline sepcs:

-GM TH-400 tranny with TCI pro-super kit
-TCI Torque converter Saturday Night Special 2000rpm flash stall
-AMC 20 rear end with 3.73 ratio

And the engine is an AMC 360 with:

- CompCams Xtream energy XE256H 1200-5200
- Harland Sharp Roller rockers
- Edelbrock Performer Intake
- Edelbrock Thunder AVS 500 cfm carb
+ much more

See less See more
#3 ·
AMC Enthusiast

A stout running V8 Jeep CJ should be able to pop a wheelie? (...or at least snap it's stock rear u-joints?)

If the torque converter button does not fit properly into the pilot bushing area of the crank, the converter will be forced the other direction and "eat into" the transmission's front mounted oil pump assembly. This could be caused by subbing a Chrysler torque converter with wrong size crank button?

Or the bits of metal in the trans fluid indicates failed clutch friction plates, and probably failed friction drive plates (clutch packs) A standard rebuild fix, about $150 "banner kit" + new fluid, ten bucks for technical overhaul manual... plus one's time to do it. = find a tranmission supply house for DIY -They should be able to get a new trans pump for you too.

Difficult rpm climb seems to point to converter "eating into" the transmission's oil pump from improper converter type or install problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.