Comments on my T bucket brake set up - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2005, 10:54 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Comments on my T bucket brake set up

I would like comments from knowlegeable folks on my T bucket brake set up. I have a manual MC from a 78 chev 1/2 ton, which had front discs and rear drums, it is a 1" bore MC. I am using late model chevy metric front discs and ford 8" rear drums (it has 1 1/2 wide brake shoes). I am not certain what pedal ratio to use. I see 5:1 and 6:1 are generally recommended for street rods with manual brakes, but the bucket is pretty light. A shorter pedal would be better for clearance issues around the steering column but it stll needs to be safe to drive (which includes stopping). Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2005, 03:54 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

http://www.mpbrakes.com/mpfaqmasters.htm

This site has a lot of good info.....which answers some of your concerns..

DEUCE........
Old 10-25-2005, 06:55 PM

Last wiki edit: Vacuum brake bleeder set up
Wiki Edits: 8

What year car are those front calipers from? In 83 (I think?) GM started using calipers that were made that would retract the piston more in the never ending quest for more fuel economy. To keep peddle travel down they also started using the step-bore "quick take-up" master cylinders. Keep the years paired between calipers and MC's. If the calipers are post 83 use a post 83 MC. If you are looking for post 83 manual brake stuff S10's are a good place to look.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:27 PM

Thanks for the info.

Hi Triaged
Thanks for the information. The calipers I have are 78 Chevy metric versions from a car. The MC I have is from a 78 Chevy 1/2 ton truck (disc/drum set up 1" bore). I never thought of an S-10 as a potential candidate for an MC.
Thanks
Ken
Old 10-25-2005, 08:42 PM

Last wiki edit: Vacuum brake bleeder set up
Wiki Edits: 8

It is hard to tell what people mean by "late model". I was only 2 in 78

I thought the 1/2 ton MC was 1-1/8"?
S10 is 15/16" on the small bore. The large bore depends on if it was manual or power brake. The smaller bore will make stopping hard easier and the step-bore should keep peddle travel down but will make you have to put more effort for gentle stops (which is why the manual brake has a smaller step-bore). S10's used the same spindles/brakes as G-bodies and the suspension is almost identical...they are also very easy to find in j/y's.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:59 AM
abstruse dutch uncle

Last photo:

Manual 1/2 ton was 1", but power brakes did use the 1 1/8".

Anyway Ken, here's my input...

Your caliper pistons are 2.5" diameter.
Your master cylinder is 1" diameter.
IMO you should use the 6:1 pedal.

You can go with a 5:1 pedal to see how you like the feel. If it is too stiff for you, you can change the master to a 15/16" bore or 7/8" bore. Some people prefer a stiffer pedal, some softer. It also depends on some other factors.

The 1978 Chevrolet midsized vehicles with those metric calipers used a manual pedal of about 5.35:1 and a 7/8" diameter master. The power master was 15/16" diameter.

I find the area [pi(radius squared)] of one caliper and the master and then use this formula:
{(1 Caliper Area)/(Master Area)}x(pedal ratio)=Overal Ratio

The overall ratio normally should fall between 30-50:1 for manual brakes. Lower is stiffer, higher is softer. Caliper efficiency, vehicle weight/rear brakes, hose flex, and pad compound are some things that can influence your decision.
90% of factory cars I checked (manual brakes w/ front disc) fall in right around 45:1.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.