Common frame for rod? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2002, 11:42 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Common frame for rod?

I'm thinking about doing a "Rat Rod" around maybe a 30' to 35' Ford Sadan or so. You know rusty body with no paint sort of thing. I would like to use a small block chevy for power. Is there a "modern" frame( i.e. a Ford Ranger truck) that would work with this instead of needing to get a high end rod frame? I guess I'm just looking to build something to tool around with without breaking the bank.

Thanks for the input,

Tim

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2002, 11:32 PM
Fantastically cannibalistic!

Last photo:

You will see if you look around on the site that a fram swap never really turns out very well, you'd be better off to just find a car with a frame or build your own.
Old 04-19-2002, 07:42 PM

Smile

If you decide to do aframe swap make sure you get good measurements.Wheel base will be easy enough to change,but you may have to move body mounts, or something else.Check length, width,and even height. Hope this helps.
Old 04-20-2002, 07:33 PM

Sounds to me the look you are going for would pretty much limit your options to only the original frame. Mixing the rusty body look with a different frame may not only look like an eye sore it may just ride and drive like one. Thats my opinion, Sorry i dont mean to take the wind out of your sails. Good luck
Old 04-22-2002, 07:55 AM

Thumbs up

Sure you can put an old body on a late model frame.I have put a 1926 model t coupe on a jeep cj7 frame, it was a perfect fit.Also put a 1927 model t roadster pickup on another jeep cj7 frame.Both looked like they were made that way from factory.I am sure you can find a frame that fits your body choice.A ford ranger is the right width for a model t,it may be right for your body style.I started to use one with my t`s but decided to go 4x4.You may have to change the rear springs as original ones extend pretty far behind axle,but that is easy.Just find a frame that is close and set body where you want it and make mounts.It is that easy.Hope this helps.
Old 04-23-2002, 05:13 AM

I dont know how experienced you are, but if you have the steam, you could start by using a front clip, and make the intermediate frame, and then use a rear clip,
ickey Thompson once told me, "Its Just Iron, and It dont KNOW": Well, I believe theres a way, and if you want to be different, go for it. I would suggest that you use a frame that has the correct motormount for your engine choice, mounting the body, should not be that big a deal, plus it gives you a head start on lowering the body on the chassis for the "slammed" effect. Sounds like a fun project. As for ride, there is no way, it can be bad if you use late suspension. GET IT ON YOUNG BLOOD> "Its All Good" Diesel Louie
Old 04-23-2002, 09:57 PM

Sorry guys, i think i left you with the wrong impression. I am all for "daring to be different" and the true hobby of rodding ,i have just seen too many projects that havent lived up to their owners expectations, or the motor vehicle safety inspection. I always favour staying away from the frame swap, just my opinion. I Guess really i have seen to many of these swaps performed without safety in mind. Yes ,using an already proven platform like from a ranger makes perfect sense. Its alot of peoples attitude towards the safety of these vehicles ,or weapons as i call them.Too many times i have seen stuff out on a test run with only two wheelnuts holding the wheel on , and one or two bolts holding the body on because they were the only two bolts that would line up. Sorry ,after i had added that reply i thought i would leave the wrong impression. I had a long day and was a little miserable . Go for it. You will never know unless you try and you made the first step . And that was a wise one i might add and that was asking, and asking us guys with experience. Never be afraid to ask . And please for the sake of your life or someone elses, just do it safely.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.