Common myths exposed - sorry Chevy guys - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2007, 09:51 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Centerline I think you are comparing chickens to Geese.

I won't argue that these high zoot big block engines are desirable and the cost of building most big block engines runs close to the same give or take a few hundred when you get into strokers and roller cams and what not.

I won't even argue the cost of "serious" hard core race parts for small blocks.

But for the average work for real hourly wage, support a young wife and kid guy who clears 500 bucks a week. The small block chev is the more affordable way to go as far as building and decorating a street or 12.5 or slower bracket car.
The 600.00 383 stroker kit from Northern Auto parts may not be your cup of tea but for the guy working for 12.00 an hour it is a deal he can handle. Same with the number of intakes and other goodies for a reasonable price.
I have small blocks, big blocks, a 455 Olds, a 331 Desoto, and a 360 Mopar.
a performer intake for the 360 costs almost twice the cost of one for the 350 Chev. A simple rering kit cost 50% more from the same vendor. Same pieces, different engine.

A better comparison than your big block pie in the sky strokers would be comparing what it would cost to build
A .030 over 350 Chev, 351 Windsor and 360 Mopar with identical pieces from intake to pan. Nothing really exotic, just a strong street build with a dual plane intake, hydraulic cam, roller timing set, decent pistons, high performance oil pump, the good gaskets, rings and bearings. throw in a set of up to date aluminum valve covers for good measure.
Each individual component being from the same mfg. and same vendor.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2007, 11:11 AM
C6, the C5 of tomorrow

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Yea Mopar and Ford engines are OK, but then you have to find a transmission

Get a chevy and it all just works.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:18 AM
Bottle Fed

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce
But I would rather not switch ...

I believe that the brand of vehicle you drive/like/mess with has a lot to do with what your first performance car was. Mine, like so many others ... was a 55 Chevrolet. Easy to install a V8 ( mine was originally a 6 cylinder/straight drive with OD, 2 door 150 series post car ). Graduated to Big Block Chevelles, Novas and a few Camaros. Still easy to install V8's or even Big Block V8's. Most everything interchanged easy ( except the old 348/409 engines ) .

When I finally got where I could buy a 32 Ford ... the Chevrolet engine still was the choice ... for me. Small, compact, and plentiful.

Without a doubt ... they fit better, are easier to find parts for ... and are used by more folks ... for engine swaps.

Big Block Chevrolets ... ruled the streets ... in my area back in the late 60's and early 70's. Ford had the FE 427's ... but almost nobody had one ... and if they did ... it was not a street car ... same for the Hemi's. Sox and Martin had super quick drag cars ... but on the street ... Hemis sucked. The 440 six pack cars hauled ^$$ ... but I only ever saw a handful of them ... and the LS6 454 Chevelles and BBC Novas and Camaros could generally out run them ... on the street. The standard 440's and 383's could not keep up with MOST of the good soild lifter/4 speed BBC Chevelles. The same for the Z28's ... you cannot run with a BBC with 302 inches ... no matter what the reputation is now ...

NOW ... the 5.0 Mustangs pretty much dominate the street action around here. At out local speed shop, most everything in stock and on the shelf is for 5.0 Mustangs. ( most are 347 strokers around here ).

Some of us older guys ... could do something about them ... but @ 60 years old ... I am not going street racing ( jail time, possible loss of the roadster ect ) and my roadster cannot get on the track ( no rollbar ) because of safety rules ... so the younger guys rule the streets.

When I get my 3W coupe finished ... I may try a few of the street 5.0 Mustangs ... at the quarter mile drag strip ... ( with a roof on my 3W ... no rollbar required until 11.90 )

@ 2700 pounds and with 430 Horsepower ... I believe I can outrun most of the " Street " Mustangs If not ... I do have a adjustable NOS nitrous spray ... setup which should get me close to 600 horsepower.

actually the roll cage requirement was dropped to 11.49... go spank some Mudstains...
Old 10-10-2007, 06:39 PM
Viva la Migra!!

Last photo:

I need em cause they're cheap

But for the average work for real hourly wage, support a young wife and kid guy who clears 500 bucks a week. The small block chev is the more affordable way to go as far as building and decorating a street or 12.5 or slower bracket car.

I couldn't have said it better myself. I just dropped a crate 350 in my truck and used the $400 I got back in core charge money to pick up all the chrome my heart desired . and an edelbrock intake . add a new edelbrock carb , and for 1,950 dollars I got a small block w/chrome oil pan , valve covers , water neck , timing cover and an aluminum intake and shiny carb . Oh, and a cool chrome air filter , too.
Try that one with a Ford or a Dodge engine.

Let me know how it went.

don't get me wrong , I dig all American steel . I have owned Buicks , Pontiacs , olds's and Fords . hell a Merc , and some chevy's , too. I still say Chevy's are cheaper to build . small blocks , anyway .

Salud!
Old 10-13-2007, 01:27 AM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopt 48
The 600.00 383 stroker kit from Northern Auto parts

A better comparison than your big block pie in the sky strokers would be comparing what it would cost to build
A .030 over 350 Chev, 351 Windsor and 360 Mopar with identical pieces from intake to pan. Nothing really exotic, just a strong street build with a dual plane intake, hydraulic cam, roller timing set, decent pistons, high performance oil pump, the good gaskets, rings and bearings. throw in a set of up to date aluminum valve covers for good measure.
Each individual component being from the same mfg. and same vendor.
1. it's not chinese made, is it?

2. somebody with more time than a college kid with a full time job take a look into a parts catalog. < I doubt building essentially identical engines from Ford, Mopar, and Chevrolet would be very different... maybe if you built a BOP or AMC engine it would cost more though.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:48 PM

Last photo:

transmition no problem with mopar . 727tf one of the strongest autos you can find. came hooked to Hemi and six pack motors and if you do your history
was in some of the fastest s/s cars of the 60S.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.