Comp cams computer controlled series cam for Ford 302 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2012, 06:27 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Comp cams computer controlled series cam for Ford 302

Recently there has been lots of talk about people having trouble with comp cams camshafts going flat. Specifically XE series cams. I am looking at a comp cams computer controlled series cam for my 87 ford 302. It is supposed to work with my factory computer which is the main reason I chose it.

The cam in question is the 31-255-5.

Is this cam one that fails commonly? What do I do to avoid it besides the obvious - proper break in and proper amounts of ZDDP in the oil.

I am afraid of losing a cam and having to tear down the engine and rebuild it - I don't have that kind of money laying around and my engine is still a good engine as it is, just needs more torque for pulling a 5500# trailer. Stock specs is 270ft lb @ 2,400 rpm. I would like to see 300 to 350 ft lb. I plan to add headers and a better exhaust at the same time, as well as a new timing chain (and lifters) , a bunch of gaskets and seals and an oil pump.

Can someone fill me in on the steps to a proper cam change on a 302? I under stand the basic steps, but there may be some details I dont know about that are important to be done.

Insert cam. Drop in lifters, mount rocker arms, install push rods, torque rockers to spec. Install timing set, lining up the timing marks, then install the timing cover, intake and valve covers. Fill engine with oil, zddp additive, start engine, run at various speeds above idle for 20 mins. Change oil again/add zddp. Change oil again at 500 miles, keeping zddp in with every change.

Did i miss anything (other than coating the cam lobes and journals with assembly lube before installing it ad soaking the new timing chain in oil)?

Any help would be appreciated. I am not a total newbie as I may appear, ive done plenty of engine work, but mostly on SBC and BBC engines and never a new cam. Basically just installing heads, intakes, oil pumps, main/rod bearings, seals, etc. However Ford V8s are totally new to me and I know there are differences between the sbf and sbc/bbc. I know the 302 may need the rockers shimmed but I am unsure how to check for proper pushrod and/or shim sizes. I also dont know if I need to change valve springs with this cam, or break it in with only the outter valve springs (if it has more than one spring on each valve), etc.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2012, 08:44 PM

Last photo:

no one has anything to say? :-(
Old 02-21-2012, 11:09 PM

Last photo:

You can rent this at no charge at Autozone (see picture) remember when priming a Ford the drill needs to turn counter clockwise.And you may want to check these out http://www.mre-books.com/engine/smallblock.html I have picked up some from www.half.com used at great prices.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0095 (Small).JPG
Views:	69
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	63242   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0096 (Small).JPG
Views:	61
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	63243  
Old 02-22-2012, 01:31 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB
You can rent this at no charge at Autozone (see picture) remember when priming a Ford the drill needs to turn counter clockwise.And you may want to check these out http://www.mre-books.com/engine/smallblock.html I have picked up some from www.half.com used at great prices.
This article also has some good pics and info to help with your build:http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2001/09/efimotor/
Old 02-22-2012, 07:55 AM

If you just want a computer-compatible cam that won't go flat, why not keep the stock roller HO cam? With AFR 165 heads it's good for 400 HP.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:27 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesmurf
If you just want a computer-compatible cam that won't go flat, why not keep the stock roller HO cam? With AFR 165 heads it's good for 400 HP.
Its not a HO engine nor roller cam unfortunately. Its a 302 in a truck. The reason for the cam switch is that I am interested in more low end torque for towing/hauling. I am even thinking of advancing the cam so the torque comes in sooner.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.