Comp Cams Hardware/781 Heads - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2010, 09:07 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Comp Cams Hardware/781 Heads

I am looking for some opinions on Comp Cams hardware/components and Manley valves. I am building a 489 c.i.d. and the foundation is a Gen VI GMPP block.

When I ordered the block, the latest casting, I was told that Mark IV heads will work because of the redesigned water jackets. When I looked at the decks everything seems to match up to the older heads so I had a good set of 781 castings done up. I don't care about the weight and compression will be at 9.75 max and she will only drink 91 pump gas.

The 781's have had good bowl work/machine work, larger 2.19 intakes, new hardened seats, new bronze guide inserts, Viton seals, Manley 11/32 stainless valves and Comp hardware.

Can someone answer the following questions please...

1. - Is the Fel Pro head gasket #Z1037 a good choice? (4.370 on a 4.280 bore)

2. - Anyone ever have trouble/issues with Manley valves?

3. - Anyone ever had trouble/issues with Comp hardware?

I know the questions about Comp and Manley are generic at best but I would like to here from some people that have used these parts on an engine like mine. I have used Comp stuff in the past and never had a problem but this is my first serious, complete engine build. All I have done before is swap springs, camshafts, etc.

Also, this engine is for a street driven car only. 3700 lbs, 4.11 rear, Super T10 (2.43 first gear, 904 steel case and mid-plate), radial tires always, and 5500 rpm max. I am trying to make as much torque as early as possible and keep the band in the low to mid range.

I assembled the heads at home and the machine work was done by one of the best shops here. I used all the recommended Comp components and spent hours getting the installed height within .010 of each other. Everything went together nice and all looks good. My cam choice is going to be the Comp XR264HR or the XR270HR.

I know this is a long post and I really appreciate any replies, answers, comments or suggestions.

Thanks everyone...

Advertisement

Last edited by Kraneking; 03-08-2010 at 09:12 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.