Comp Cams High Energy 260H vs 268H in BBC - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2011, 01:02 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Comp Cams High Energy 260H vs 268H in BBC

I'm trying to decide which cam and lifter kit to buy. I am pretty sure I have a worn lobe or bad lifter or something in my 454 because of a ticking noise it has in it that I cant seem to pinpoint. It runs pretty good tho still.

Anyways, I'm thinking a Comp Cams high energy cam would be great. The 260H sounds great, but then again so does the 268H.

Either way - will either cam work with stock valve springs?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2011, 06:29 AM

Last photo:

the 268H will work with stock springs until 4500 rpms. The 260H will work with stock springs.

if you are using a stock stall converter, stock compression, and equal to or less than a 3.08 gear, then use the 260H. (no question). The 268H will need better then stock exhaust and intake, 9:1 cr, 2400 stall, 3.40+ gears.

should use an oil additive durning the break in with the 260H and use the additive at each oil change if you use the 268H. www.zddplus.com.

BC Engineering makes an overhead cam oiler kit for the BBC. I have tried it and it seems to work. $50.

I use the 260H in my BBC's and liked it. Works well with 8 to 9:1 cr, 3.08 gear, stock converter, stock manifolds, 4300 pound truck. I also had good results with the small summit brand cam for the BBC.

what gear, trans, weight car, stall, compression, exhaust, intake, carb........ is your setup??????

compcam also makes a DEH series cam if you don't want to use headers. A deh255 and a deh265, if I remember correctly. (??). The deh255 is like the smallest summit brand cam.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:47 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454C10
the 268H will work with stock springs until 4500 rpms. The 260H will work with stock springs.

if you are using a stock stall converter, stock compression, and equal to or less than a 3.08 gear, then use the 260H. (no question). The 268H will need better then stock exhaust and intake, 9:1 cr, 2400 stall, 3.40+ gears.

should use an oil additive durning the break in with the 260H and use the additive at each oil change if you use the 268H. www.zddplus.com.

BC Engineering makes an overhead cam oiler kit for the BBC. I have tried it and it seems to work. $50.

I use the 260H in my BBC's and liked it. Works well with 8 to 9:1 cr, 3.08 gear, stock converter, stock manifolds, 4300 pound truck. I also had good results with the small summit brand cam for the BBC.

what gear, trans, weight car, stall, compression, exhaust, intake, carb........ is your setup??????

compcam also makes a DEH series cam if you don't want to use headers. A deh255 and a deh265, if I remember correctly. (??). The deh255 is like the smallest summit brand cam.
This engine is stock ('74 454 with '78 454 heads/intake) I think its 8.25:1 compression. I have headers, 2.5" dual exhaust dumping right behind the cab, and magnaflow mufflers. The intake and carb are stock (qjet and matching cast iron intake). Has 4.10 gears, stock converter, stock TH400 trans. Truck weighed in at 4,860# at the scrap yard the other day AFTER I dumped the scrap, so that should be pretty accurate. I do have a tool box full of crap so it could be about 4500 or 4600 alone.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:37 AM

Last photo:

stock BBC compression is around 7.75:1 cr. Can't run much cam with that.

I would install a 260H and that is it.

how tall are your tires??

what are the head casting numbers??
Old 07-06-2011, 09:38 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454C10
stock BBC compression is around 7.75:1 cr. Can't run much cam with that.

I would install a 260H and that is it.

how tall are your tires??

what are the head casting numbers??
Tires are right at 30 to 31" something like that. 225 75 16 (if i remember correctly, i know that's pretty close)

The heads a 781's.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:04 AM

Last photo:

781's are good heads but have big chambers (120cc). These heads used with stock flat top pistons and 454 cids will make around 7.75:1 cr.

Those tall tires will make that 4.11 gear seem more like a 3.60 or 3.70 gear which is a good match for the 268H, but the low compression, stock intake, and stock converter don't match the 268H that well.

I think you would be better off with a 260H and use the stock valve train (springs, retainers, rockers, valve covers, ......).

Might also be a good idea to install a new timing chain (double roller) when you do the cam swap.

don't forget to use an oil additive for the break in and maybe for a few oil changes. www.zddplus.com
Old 07-06-2011, 03:22 PM

Last photo:

Engine has a brand new timing chain in it already. Would like to bump up the compression but I dont know how to without changing pistons on heads (both very expensive projects).

I plan to get a performer intake (but keep/tune the qjet) and refurbish/recurve the distributor.

I dont plan to change the converter or tires.

The 260H sounds like a good choice but it sounds also like a stock replacement pretty much, with little or no power increase. It does mention possible better fuel economy tho which is a plus. I think tuning the carb, and refurbishing/recurving the distributor will help on mileage significantly as well.

How would an Edelbrock Performer Plus work for my application? It has an off-idle to 5500 RPM power band, 293 degree intake duration and 302 degree duration on the exhaust, and .500 lift on both intake and exhaust.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:43 PM

Last photo:

The comp cams XE250H looks great as well....
Old 07-06-2011, 04:03 PM

Last photo:

a stock low performance 454 cam has 0.400" lift and less than 200 degrees of duration at 0.050". I would think this is the cam you are using now.

A 260H makes a big difference over a stock smogger 454 cam, even through comp calls it a "stock replacement" cam.

Yes, the XE cams will make more power than the high energy cams, but the aggressive ramps tend to go flat and make more noise. Plus you don't need extra exhaust duration since you are using headers.

If you are on a budget then it is hard to beat the summit racing cam and lifter kits. The smallest summit BBC cam also works well with stock springs.

$105 pus $8 shipping for a cam and lifters is hard to beat.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-K1300/
Old 07-06-2011, 05:01 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque454
I'm trying to decide which cam and lifter kit to buy. I am pretty sure I have a worn lobe or bad lifter or something in my 454 because of a ticking noise it has in it that I cant seem to pinpoint. It runs pretty good tho still.

Anyways, I'm thinking a Comp Cams high energy cam would be great. The 260H sounds great, but then again so does the 268H.

Either way - will either cam work with stock valve springs?
what is the cam you are using now? stock?
are the rockers bottoming out the slots?(ticking noise)
Old 07-06-2011, 05:24 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts37chev
X2 inquiring mind want to know.

Cole
Old 07-06-2011, 05:25 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts37chev
As far as I know its a stock cam and yes it is ticking. Seems to run great (acts like nothings wrong) but theres that ticking noise. It isnt a consistent tick tho it will tick a couple times then maybe be silent for a second or two and then tick again. Its just kinda random, tho it does tick more often than it doesnt tick. If that makes sense.

Not really sure what the deal is. I would think that if it was a bad lifter or cam lobe that it would tick each and every time the affected valve was operated.

The strange part is that the engine these heads came from did the same thing, but I found out that it DID have a flattened cam lobe and a concaved lifter bottom. This makes me think that maybe there is a problem with the heads, however I had them all apart when I put the heads on this engine (didnt rebuild the heads, but I did replace the valve seals and so all the springs and stuff were off the heads) and I didnt see anything wrong with anything. Perhaps its just coincidence..

Still yet, I'm sure it could atleast benefit from a cam and lifter change, even if it doesnt really NEED it. Guess I wont know until I remove the old cam if it really needs it or not.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.