Comp cams new 4 lobe bump sticks ?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2013, 08:27 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Comp cams new 4 lobe bump sticks ??

Hey everyone,

I was thumbing through the newest Hot Rod mag and they where advertising their new 4 lobe Nascar inspired camshafts. I haven't seen anything about these yet. Anyone try one? Is this going to be the new XE line for them? Want to hate on something you know nothing about?

Just curious

Comp Cams’ New 4-Pattern Cam Boasts Advanced NASCAR Technology - OneDirt.com

EDIT... I would LOVE to try one of these cams... but time and money are tight...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2013, 08:32 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Nothing new, and not really "NASCAR inspired" people have been doing even more than4 lobe designs on a single cam for over 50 years.

It is a cheap gimmick to overcharge on a cam though.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:40 PM

Last photo:

So AP, are you saying there are other off the shelf cams with 4 lobe designs? If so what cams?
Old 06-18-2013, 09:00 PM

Last photo:

Isky did it many years ago and during the "Cam wars" of the sixties there were even "5 cycle" cams
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BOBCRMAN@aol.com For This Useful Post:
techinspector1 (06-19-2013), xxllmm4 (06-18-2013)
Old 06-18-2013, 10:27 PM

Last photo:

Ok, so what I guess it really boils down to is this... Is there another off the shelf cam line that puts out more power with the same basic specs?
Old 06-19-2013, 12:07 AM

Last photo:

Bob, what happened with them? Are they still making any of these 5 lobe designs? Just not advertising them? Flash in the pan designs with no real merit?

Camshaft tech has never really been something I have been interested in till the last few months.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:34 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

carb in center, end cyl get less air fuel. make a cam that hold the intake open a tad longer for the end cyl. and get equal power, nothing new..
most custom grind cams from those that make every last 1/10th of a hp do this. and have for 50 years+
Old 06-19-2013, 01:58 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
carb in center, end cyl get less air fuel. make a cam that hold the intake open a tad longer for the end cyl. and get equal power, nothing new..
most custom grind cams from those that make every last 1/10th of a hp do this. and have for 50 years+
So the question remains, is there any current off the shelf cams that do this? I have done some message board research and one person claims with actual dyno numbers... The minimum gain has been 20HP. Call it advertising BS or whatever you want... If a off the shelf cam can make an extra 20 hp based on compatible specs, you got a winner!
Old 06-19-2013, 02:20 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxllmm4 View Post
So the question remains, is there any current off the shelf cams that do this? I have done some message board research and one person claims with actual dyno numbers... The minimum gain has been 20HP. Call it advertising BS or whatever you want... If a off the shelf cam can make an extra 20 hp based on compatible specs, you got a winner!
no, off the shelf cam has been mass produced like this, as it relies on to many factors in the engine for a one size fits all.
and why CNC cyl ports are a waste of money. you don't want them all to flow the same, but there it is, people pay extra for that. for less power
nascar/prostock/road racing, you'll not find cnc mirrored ports every port will be different. their cams have been this way for ever.
every cyl is a single engine as far as they are concerned.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:06 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Bob, what happened with them? Are they still making any of these 5 lobe designs? Just not advertising them? Flash in the pan designs with no real merit?

Camshaft tech has never really been something I have been interested in till the last few months.
Mostly just advertising hype! To sell camshafts..
Old 06-19-2013, 07:52 AM

Last photo:

If you really want a specialized cam, order one from Mike Jones, Chris Straub, UD Harold, Bullet etc.
Buying an off the shelf cam is an exercise in compromises. Its a mass produced cam, that probably isn't held exactly to the specs on the cam card, and some of these designs are 40 years old or more. If you want to buy a shelf cam and have maximum potential, I'd also invest in a degree wheel and learn to use it.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:37 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Hey everyone,

I was thumbing through the newest Hot Rod mag and they where advertising their new 4 lobe Nascar inspired camshafts. I haven't seen anything about these yet. Anyone try one? Is this going to be the new XE line for them? Want to hate on something you know nothing about?

Just curious

Comp Camsí New 4-Pattern Cam Boasts Advanced NASCAR Technology - OneDirt.com

EDIT... I would LOVE to try one of these cams... but time and money are tight...
The idea behind this type cam is that each cylinder breathes a little different. So by test that determines the mixture flow amount, mixture ratio, and power output by cylinder, the cam timing and lift is tailored for each cylinder. The only place this has any significant effect is around max power RPMs.

Another way to approach this does require a flow bench or at least a damn good working knowledge of the whys and wherefores of port flow; then port the intake and head ports with configurations specific to each port's requirements not making them all the same configuration which is what the popular and home porters do. To get each port to not only flow its best with the attached intake but to balance out the power production cylinder to cylinder which reduces odd loads on the crank assembly and block. Now there's a sly tidbit for y'all to chew on. This does appear in an off-handed way in one of Vizards books, I think Michleson and Yunick make a one or two sentence remark also, so I'm not the only skewed brain out there.

Bogie
The Following User Says Thank You to oldbogie For This Useful Post:
techinspector1 (06-19-2013)
Old 06-19-2013, 12:29 PM

Last photo:

I read that article as I had the magazine come in the mail and in my opinion its overrated and more hype like the thumpr cams they sell then anything else. I have seen some so called dyno's done and there is less then 10 horse power compared to a xe comp cam and for a street performance engine its just wasting money and a real cam grinder who knows there stuff could make a original 2 lobe design and it would be way better. I am not an expert on this stuff like others on here but I do have some basic knowledge on cams. I just get my cams made from lunati and put them in and give best tune and drive and be happy and not worry if I am making every last ounce of power since I don't race mine as they are for fun and to enjoy. I learned the hard way about the thumpr cam line and that is another story.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:37 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric32 View Post
I read that article as I had the magazine come in the mail and in my opinion its overrated and more hype like the thumpr cams they sell then anything else. I have seen some so called dyno's done and there is less then 10 horse power compared to a xe comp cam and for a street performance engine its just wasting money and a real cam grinder who knows there stuff could make a original 2 lobe design and it would be way better. I am not an expert on this stuff like others on here but I do have some basic knowledge on cams. I just get my cams made from lunati and put them in and give best tune and drive and be happy and not worry if I am making every last ounce of power since I don't race mine as they are for fun and to enjoy. I learned the hard way about the thumpr cam line and that is another story.
sorry cam ground different for every cyl will out power a mirrored lobe cam every time.
teams spent huge amount of R&D time on port flow(intake/head/valve) exhaust temps per cyl. and o2 per cyl. when they are limited to a single or dual t/b be it carb or efi. only ones that don't are those with 1 t/b system per cyl.
There is big hp and torque to be had, and parts lasting when every cyl. does equal work.
is it worth it for the Reg Joe with a hot rod. most likely not.
but if comp sells a cam and list works best with vortec heads and edle proformer intake it'll make more as it was ground for that intake tract
Old 06-19-2013, 03:02 PM

Last photo:

I was not saying it is not much better then off the shelf grind just saying for a street engine you would not notice much unless your looking for the best et time at a track etc. I read several different articles about those cams and yes they are better then any off the shelf grind period and will out do them all the time and I never said that it wouldn't. Some of the horse power differences were 10 hp or less or more depending on the combo. For a street engine only you would never notice the difference except maybe how the spark plugs look since each cylinder will burn better and maybe some better fuel mileage etc. Never meant anything bad but your info is true. I guess I did not catch the one bit and I was wrong there so shame on me. Thanks for clearing that up I did not think about that one.cheers

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.