Comp cams took care of failing cam - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2005, 09:43 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Comp cams took care of failing cam

For those who dont know, when I disassembled my turbo engine for the bearing failure I found that the cam lobes had premature wear. I ended up sending the cam back to comp for them to look at it. They listed many things that could have caused the failure and said they thought it was a break in problem.....which I dont think, but oh well.

Anyhow, they said they would give me a factory credit and I could pick any cam I wanted to replace that cam. I have decided to never run a comp cam again since I have had mulitple failures, but it is nice to know they took care of the problem.

I guess I will order a common cam and stick it on ebay or something. If anyone needs a cam, I can get you one at a discount

Chris

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2005, 09:47 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

are you sure the cam failure didn't have anything to do with the bunch of stuff that got into your oil?

K
Old 01-06-2005, 09:52 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:

Nope, not sure at all.........it is possible I suppose.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:09 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hey Chris watch this get dumped for advertising. j/k

It's good to see that Comp made good on the bad cam. Will they would let you credit that towards the cost of one of their roller cams? (for your S-10.)
Old 01-06-2005, 10:14 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ghetto Jet
Hey Chris watch this get dumped for advertising. j/k

It's good to see that Comp made good on the bad cam. Will they would let you credit that towards the cost of one of their roller cams? (for your S-10.)

Hehe....did not ask about a roller cam, but I doubt it. They would likely give me the price of that cam as a credit to a roller. It would still cost me too much to fit my budget right now. I am going to try another flat tappet cam. I decide to go with a summit cam.....and not just for price. They were the only ones who had a cam close to the specs I wanted without having a custom grind. The grind I bought was almost identical to a custom grinder I talked to and also very close to what Cstraub recommended.

Chris
Old 01-07-2005, 09:07 AM
Time is short, are you ready?

Last photo:

Summit Cam & Lifters

Summit = Crane = No problems (IMO)

But I would think twice about using the standard hydraulic lifters that come with Summit kits. Look at using the Speed-Pro HT 817R race lifters. I don't see them at Summit, but Jegs and Scoggin-Dickey have them. They have a heavy duty snap ring. In fact, it is not even a snap ring, but a very rigid clip. It allows for setting near zero lash and high RPM without the fear of the snap ring popping out. I wish I could find a picture on the web, but no luck.

Good luck with your rebuild, Ed www.edgesz28.com
Old 01-07-2005, 10:04 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

Hmm? Bearing failure: Turbo: Worn cam

Chris, is there a way to check your oil pump? Maybe not enough flow/psi? That turbo is tough on oil with the additional heat it produces. Just a thought.

I think its stellar that they will back it up. I would have thought they'd bailed...

Jeff
Old 01-07-2005, 10:15 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

The bearing failure was because the machine shop did not brush the oil passages and I did not because I asked them to. Lesson learned the hard way. The turbo does add heat to the oil, but I run a thermostatic controlled oil cooler with a 1100 cfm fan mouted directly to it.

Chris
Old 01-07-2005, 11:05 AM
wind & fire = guides to power

Last photo:

Rust in the oil, babbit in the oil, no wonder it had premature wear!

I have sold many summit cams and even owned one myself. They have a very wide lobe in general, both good and bad for a turbo engine(depending on comp ratio and boost levels). With the 114 lob sep they commonly have they build great cylinder pressure even with a low compression engine. Be careful with the octanes when you first run the cam under boost.
I had one in a 400 sbc, forged dish tops and a little blower...bad spark knock on pump gas even at low boost levels.

-ps- what are the specs?
Old 01-07-2005, 01:35 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

NXS,

Like I said, it is possible for that to have caused the wear, but seems to me that the lifters would have shown some wear. Do you work for Summit or something? The cam I got is 234/234 dur. 488/488 lift with 114 lsa. It is about perfect for my engine, but, I wish it had a little more lift. Cstraub recommended more intake lift, but the custom grinder that camaroman7d recommended was recommending a 234/490 straight across so was dead on with them. That cam was close enough I think it will make alot of power.

Chris
Old 01-07-2005, 05:18 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

sorry to hear again about you having to take that beautiful motor apart chris. i have heard alot about comp cam failure but every time i have heard about one they have replaced the cam for free. lots of posts, as i think i posted once already when you first said your cam went south, blame it on comp cams' red lube they supply with the cam. i threw mine out. i used good ol' clevite cam lube. now get this, clevite changed their formula to RED! so for all i know they started letting comp make their stuff-aahh!!! so i have no idea what will happen to my cam now till i find out if the comp lube is the same as the new clevite formula. just too much! other guys think it best to use stock rockers on break in and switch to 1:6's after break in. maybe it works maybe not, but it made me make a last minute change back to 1.5's before i tried to start my engine again.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:22 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

I dont like the comp lube and dont use it. I like cranes lube.

Chris
Old 01-08-2005, 08:15 PM
wind & fire = guides to power

Last photo:

I like that cam, it should work nice and be very driveable...just watch the octane on the first couple of passes! Oh, and I don't work for Summit but i've worked on a couple of road race teams. When I sold the Summit cams I was working at a speed shop and we had the full SBC selection from them on hand at all times. Very popular(price) and very good with the dish tops Comp was our #2 seller, more popular with the deep pockets and flat tops.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.