which companies? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2006, 11:51 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

which companies?

Who are the recommended companies for buying a replica body? Is it necessary to buy body and chasiss from same place? What companies should I stay away from? Trying to start a build and would like opinions.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2006, 01:19 PM
Last photo:

Stay far away from Streetbeast. They also have been going by another name to try and get away from the bad rep Streetbeasts has. Someone else will have to give you that name, as it escapes me at this time.

Wescott, Redneck, and Outlaw all build a quality glass body. You can purchase rolling packages from each that come with a frame, brakes, IFS and a rear axle. However complete you want it.

Check my progress link below to get an idea of what is involved in building one of these.

Vince
Old 08-16-2006, 04:17 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302/Z28
Stay far away from Streetbeast.
I'll second that! StreetBeast is the only company I'm aware of that is selling "Ford" replicas that aren't allowed to call them "Fords". Ford took them to court about this and because they're "replicas" are so bad they're not allowed to use the Ford name in their advertising. Everyone else who makes decent reproductions can use the Ford name. That should tell you something about StreetBeast kits. They're not even close to the original.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline
I'll second that! StreetBeast is the only company I'm aware of that is selling "Ford" replicas that aren't allowed to call them "Fords". Ford took them to court about this and because they're "replicas" are so bad they're not allowed to use the Ford name in their advertising. Everyone else who makes decent reproductions can use the Ford name. That should tell you something about StreetBeast kits. They're not even close to the original.
Anyone familiar with B&B Roadster. They offer a 'glass 34 Coupe that looks promising. All I have done is check out their website and a little research on the net. I would appreciate opinions and advice.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:58 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by unstable2
Anyone familiar with B&B Roadster. They offer a 'glass 34 Coupe that looks promising.
I would NOT buy one ...

Do you really think they look like a 33 - 34 Ford coupe ???
Look at the firewall edge ... and the overall shape ... of the roof line ...

ALSO .. Look at the door handle location on the B&B car ...

Looks as bad as a Street Beast ... to me ...

Outlaw has a good reputation ... for 34 3W coupes
But cost a good bit more than the B&B ...
you get what you pay for IMHO ...

Last edited by Deuce; 08-17-2006 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:20 AM
Last photo:

Good comparisons Randy. At the Louisville meet I saw a Streetbeast 34 on the road one evening when we were headed to Dillon's steak house. From the rear it was really obvious, so much so that before I said anything my wife asked me what it was....now it has to be bad for that.

The parking lots at Dillons and Buca Di Beppo were full of rods, including three 69 Camaros from Louisana .

Vince
Old 08-17-2006, 09:33 AM

Last photo:

unstable2,

You might take a look at Lone Star Classics (lonestarclassics.com) located in Ft. Worth, TX.

My personal experience with them is from a couple of years ago when I was very seriously considering their '53 CORVETTE replica. I actually went over to their facility and looked at the display models they have on display. I was very impressed with the quality. They were extremely helpful, even gave me one of their assembly manuals and answered all my questions. Of course, they were trying to sell me something.

The ONLY reason that I did not buy from them is that I stumbled onto a partially completed kit and a guy that was in dire need of cash. The two make a great combination!

I did have to fly out to San Francisco to inspect the car and it cost me $800 to get it shipped to Dallas - but still turned out to be a great deal, especially considered all of the '53-'55 ORIGINAL goodies that I got with it. Turns out that I could recoup the cost of the car by selling the goodies.

But I digress! Give Lone Star a look. I also suggest that you check around on the web for various car clubs, boards, and forums and you just might stumble upon a real good deal! I will caution though, DO NOT BUY ANY KIT (NEW, USED, PARTIAL, etc.) SIGHT UNSEEN!!! A plane ticket is a lot cheaper than a garage full of crap!

Good Luck and keep us posted on how it's going!

texastomeh
Old 08-17-2006, 09:46 AM
just passin' thru

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Last journal entry: Willys - Body and Paint
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

As the owner of a '41 Willys body and frame from Outlaw performance, I have no negative comments regarding their quality. It may all depend on what type body you are looking for...Some manufacturers may not make the body style you want.
The best piece of advice I can give is to ask around at the shows, and you'll get a feel for who makes a quality product.
When you decide, if at all possible, take a "road trip" to the manufacturer and tour their facilities. Meeting them one-on-one at their facilities (not their booth at a show) can be a very good indicator. If they have no interest in giving you a tour and answering all questions, walk away.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Willys with wheels.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	14170  
Old 08-17-2006, 11:29 AM
Last photo:

Echoing the above comments I would add the following advice. At the shows the first question you should ask about a body or car you like is did the owner build it. If not take their advice with a grain of salt. IMO if the owner did not build the car they have zero idea what it took to bring the body to the condition you see it, and as such are not qualified to comment on the quality of the brand of body.

Vince
Old 08-19-2006, 09:53 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Brookville ???? Not me

Stay away from Brookville's '30 - '31 roadsters unless you like lots of rework. Their '32 may be OK but when I bought my '31, they had put all their good labor resouces on their '32 roadster and neglected the others. Now that they are building a deuce coupe, my guess is that they MAY have done the same thing and the roadster may be suffering

Dave
Old 08-19-2006, 04:05 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Here's my comment from experience. maybe it will help.

I don't have a problem with plastic cars.

About 8-9 yrs ago there was an outfit south of Kansas City making and selling deuce roadsters bodies that had a twist in them and the body contour was assymetrical right and left, very noticeable across the door top as viewed from the rear. The curvature was too flat on the right side. After lots of looking around I discovered 4 different brands of deuce roadsters being made from as far away as the west coast that their bucks had been pulled off the same irregular original. Every one had the same "flat side" on the right. It was really noticeable from the rear. When adjusting the twist out of the body, the doors wouldn't fit and needed to be redone.

Metal is expensive, but so is putting all your time and effort into a crappy plastic car.

Caveat emptor...... let the buyer beware.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:09 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Myself I woudl hope you would get the instruction manual from Speedway for their Track-T. It is step by step instructions and can apply in general to any kind of fiberglass car..

I have had good luck with those guys in the past and Smitty has been in business for 50 years now so they must do something right..

Now as far as where to get one it depends on just what you wish for and can aford..

Sam
Old 08-23-2006, 02:32 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

[QUOTE=OneMoreTime]Myself I woudl hope you would get the instruction manual from Speedway for their Track-T. It is step by step instructions and can apply in general to any kind of fiberglass car..

I have had good luck with those guys in the past and Smitty has been in business for 50 years now so they must do something right..

I agree with this - also consider Total Performance as they too have an assembly manual though quality wise does need a bit of massaging - though their cars are OK

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.