Hot Rod Forum banner

Compatible Junk Yard Conversions of Drum to Disk Brakes for a 61 Buick Invicta

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  jcarter 
#1 ·
Does anyone know of a disk brake system from an existing vehicle (Truck or Car) that would be a compatible bolt up with a 61 Buick Invicta? I would prefer not to spend a lot of money on a new conversion system.

I would like to purchase junk yard parts, rebuild the calipers, replace the rotors and master cylinder and eliminate the drum system on the front and possibly the rear of the vehicle. Is there a cross reference book out there that addresses this information?

#2 · (Edited)
A Hollanders exchange book would be the first place I started. I don't know if Cadillac had disk on any of their cars but I would go there first. Try your library, older wrecking yards for the book. Good luck, Dan

#3 ·
Hi! I just finished a front disc conversion on a 57 Buick special.Your's will be the same 5on 5 bolt pattern, I think.I used 88-94 GM pickup rotors and calipers. Bearings and seals for these fit my spindles.I bought the brakets for the calipers from a M. Pemberton from Nevada.Found his ad in a Hemmings mag. Don't know if he makes them for your model.I had to grind a little off the spindle where the drum backing plate attached to get the caliper bracket positioned properly to center the caliper on the rotor.It bolts on using the backing plate holes.You need the rally rims from the pickup to clear the calipers, the old rims hit.I used a streetrod 8" dual diaphram booster,fit nicer than an S10 one I had.For the master cyl. I used a common one that was listed for Chevelles, Impalas, and pickups.I put in an adustable prop. valve and 2 and 10 # check valves. Thought that may be simpler to get working than a prop valve from the wrecker. I now have a firm pedal and back and forth in the shop it feels great. Hope this helps. Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.