Compatible w/ 62 Buick? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2004, 07:13 PM
How can it go faster?

Last journal entry: Been a long Winter
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Compatible w/ 62 Buick?

Just started restoring a 62 Buick Special....what rear ends are easily compatible with this car? What engines also?

Must go to concert, will type more later.
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2004, 05:18 PM

Last photo:

The only bolt in would be from an Olds 61-63, f-85.. or the same years in Buick Special.
Old 08-14-2004, 01:49 PM
How can it go faster?

Last photo:

is there any benefit to using any of the rear ends you listed? I don't know the gearing at all. I am thinking of putting a bigger than stock motor in the car and I would like to beef up the rear end some. It depends on the condition of the original motor when I get it pulled.
Old 09-13-2004, 03:53 PM

62 buick special

if youre interested i have a 4 door, wrecked in the drivers front, with a good running 215 v8, and autonatic trans for sale. i bought it for a parts car for my 2dr, but decided to go another way with it. there are alot of good trim parts. unfortunatly there are not alot of parts available for this car. all of the steering, suspension, brakes etc are specific to this and the f-85 only. if you are interested e-mail me, donr8cer@aol.com. if you need any specs, i have a motors book and would be happy to e-mail any info i can. Thanks, Don.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:54 PM
How can it go faster?

Last photo:

Thanx don, I replied to the above email. Making connections like this is what breeds the spirit of the World Wide Web....

Old 09-13-2004, 09:06 PM

Last photo:

Is this is the independent rear suspension model? If so, I believe these rear suspensions came from the early model Corvairs, Don't know about parts interchangeability. Clarks Corvair Parts still sells parts for these cars.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:05 AM

Last photo:

Buick Special is a front engine rear wheel drive.
Corvair is rear engine rear wheel drive.
Nothing other than the name GM is the same.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:25 PM

Last photo:

Yes, I realize Corvairs were rear engined. I owned two of them. The early Corvairs had a swing axle rear suspension. Rear engined cars have differentials and axles just like an independent rear suspensioned front engine car. GM used this suspension in the early sixties in the Pontiac Tempest for sure, and I think they MAY have in the Buick Special series. The early Tempest, F-85 Olds, and Buick Specials were called Y bodies by GM.

My cousin had a '62 Tempest with a 326 and the independent rear suspension. I don't know how old you are, but I am 56. I have been a hotrodder since the sixties. I haven't owned every car from that period, but I drag raced a lot of them and helped friends work on them.

As has been the habit with GM, cars from the same body category are usually similar or the same underneath the sheet metal, such as the Camaro/Firebird. I don't know for sure if the Buick had the same differential and suspension set up of the Tempest, that is why I asked if it did.

Just to prove my point, at least regarding the rear drive early Pontiac Tempest, read this link:

http://members.aol.com/redbat01/web/page7.html

If you go down to paragraph 10, you will find the following quote

"The Tempest not only had a loud buzzy engine. It also had swing axles. Ironically, the Tempest's rear suspension was a virtual duplicate of the early series Corvair suspension that DeLorean despised.

Here is another link regarding the 1962 Buick. Check the fourth post down
http://www.buicks.net/cgi-bin/forum/...2;t=000225;p=1

"The body on the 61 through 63 compact Buicks is a unitized construction having no separate frame. The design is a modified version of the unitized body/frame design done on the Corvair. The Buick Special/Olds F-85/Pontiac Tempest of these years (known as the bopettes) all used the same basic design, known as the Y body."

Regarding your contention that the Corvair had nothing in common with any GM front engined cars of that period, you stand corrected.

There is a wealth of knowledge on this board. I suggest you be a little more sure of your facts before you post.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:52 PM

re; 62 buick special.

i have two 62 buick specials, a 63 tempest and have owned four corvairs. the special and f-85 are the only two that share rear and front suspension. the tempest and corvair very used similar rear suspension, and very similar front suspension in the early (first generation???) corvairs, but nothing but the design is the same. the temprest has the original "iron duke" half a v-8 with a powerglide. one special has a 215 aluminum v-8 and two speed auto, the other has no engine currently, but is going to be a hot rod, father/son project. due to the rear steer, were planning a front mounted pinto rack, and swaping spindles side to side for pan clearance, fuel injected 4.3l chevy v-6 and 700r4 trans. another f-85 and special only item is the wheel bolt pattern, good luck finding wheels. you can have the hubs, axles, and drums redrilled to a different pattern or use unilug wheels with slotted wheel bolt holes. good luck with your projects, Don.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:43 PM

Last photo:

Very interesting.

I wonder if the person above will read your message.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:33 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Some of these answers given seem to be typical internet misunderstandings.

Also jhs914 the ages are posted by some folks. stu claims to be 63. He sems old since he knows a bit about the old vehicles.

Me? I am a youngster at 50
Old 09-15-2004, 02:47 PM
How can it go faster?

Last photo:

I don't know squat about all the other cars, what I do know is that I have a 62 Buick Special sitting less than 20 ft away from me and it has the unibody, solid rear suspension (using coil springs in the rear too) w/ only one axle. 215 V8 w/ 2 spd DynaFlow tranny.

Just my 2cents worth.... thanx for all the debate though....
Old 09-15-2004, 04:44 PM

Last photo:

Whew.

I'm glad you settled this one.
You should be able to install different gears in the differential to give you better bottom or top end. Depending on what you want.
You say it has a two speed DynaFlow transmission.
If the transmission pan has only one bolt it is called a "Buick Special". Nothing more nothing less.
The DynaFlow is a great big honking thing that weighs a bazillion pounds. Cast iron case.
It does have two speeds but when the selector is placed in D position it starts out and ends up in high gear. No up shift no down shift no side shift.
There is a variable pitch stator in the convertor that gives the impression of a passing gear but no gear change happens.
L position is low gear only.
That would leave p for pass and r for race.
Oh yes. N for nuttin.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:54 PM
How can it go faster?

Last photo:

well, my tranny wieghs about 80 lbs or so...quite light. It is aluminum case and says DynaFlow right across the case in large letters cast in the case. It has the Low and Drive and Reverse and Neutral and Park shift positions. No input shaft from the motor to tranny either, odd.....the torque converter is just a big turbine looking thing. It has the single bolt in the pan as you described. I will go take a pic right now and get it posted....
Old 09-15-2004, 07:00 PM

Last photo:

Yup that's a Buick Special transmission.
Weight and all aluminum are the give aways.
Can't remember for sure why it would say DynaFlow.
Haven't seen one in many many years.
Use the transmission as an anchor for your fishing boat.
They weren't much better than the TurboGlide or FlightPitch.

Last edited by stu; 09-15-2004 at 07:02 PM.
Closed Thread

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.