Complet Build Up - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2003, 07:10 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Complet Build Up

ok i'm thinking about just taking ever bolt of my car take everthing that isnt welded down to my car and strip it to bare metal paint it and just build it from the ground up has anyone ever done this before and have any advise for my??

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2003, 08:02 PM

Did it on an MGA and a few cycles. Use freezer bags for small parts and label them .Take lots of pictures of what goes where. Keep everything together. Don't get frustrated with trying to remove something that won't come apart, then cutting it off or somehow destroying it thinking you'll get a new one. You'll find out a new one isn't available or will cost $$$$. Good luck (I've still got a couple of motorcycles in parts boxes. It's easier to take them apart than to put them together!)
Old 07-21-2003, 08:06 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

what he said....
use baggies and a sharpie to label EVERYTHING..... as you get older, i know your a young an', you'll find yourself wondering where the hell this or that went.....
Old 07-21-2003, 08:52 PM

Hey forgot one thing: Make diagrams of all electrical stuff so you know what wire goes where.

What kind of car is it?
Old 07-22-2003, 09:43 AM

88 camaro thanks one of the reasons i want to do this is because i want my car to be mine if anyone understands what i'm saying and i'm not real experienced in fixing up cars mostly because i'm 16 and i want to do this to get alittle more experienced and learn by doing because you can only learn so much from forums and books
Old 07-22-2003, 10:41 AM

I understand about wanting the car to be yours. I can never resist a little customizing on anything I do. but if you're not real experienced you might want to bite off a smaller project at first. Maybe think about the things that need repair or upgrading and work on them first. If the car runs well already, you might concentrate on the body work and paint. Or if you want more performace, go after some engine mods. A complete tear down is a big, big job and it's easy to get discouraged when you're into something that could last years. The rebuild on my MGA took 5 years and it was basicly just a go-cart with a body compared to a modern car like a Camero.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:35 AM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last journal entry: The Blower and test fit.
Last photo:

The fact that you are willing to do it yourself is great, but I wouldn't recommend a frame off resto as a first project. I would do like fast said and tackle some little projects first. It's very easy to get discouraged, and haveing the car undrivable is the worst one.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:48 AM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

i thought since i was gonna rebuild my engine and put in a new steering box, that i might as well replace the bushings,etc............ .
.................................................. .............. ...................................... .................................................. ............................. ..........that was damn near 4 years ago....... if i'm lucky, i'll have her back on the road this fall...... but it'll be a new 72 ford f-250, and it will be all mine, i can dig it, but be prepared to spend some serious time and money............
and if you don't already have one, get a digital camera BEFORE you start....... A pic sez a thousand words.........(wiring, vaccum, etc...)
Old 07-22-2003, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by crazy larry
i thought since i was gonna rebuild my engine and put in a new steering box, that i might as well replace the bushings,etc............ .
.................................................. .............. ...................................... .................................................. ............................. ..........that was damn near 4 years ago....... if i'm lucky, i'll have her back on the road this fall...... but it'll be a new 72 ford f-250, and it will be all mine, i can dig it, but be prepared to spend some serious time and money............
and if you don't already have one, get a digital camera BEFORE you start....... A pic sez a thousand words.........(wiring, vaccum, etc...)
exactly thats what i want once i finish i wont have a 88 camaro i will have a NEW 88 camaro

years?? i'm not worried about being discouraged i have gone hours working on my car with out stopping once i start something i cant stop until its finish
Old 07-22-2003, 12:58 PM

Last photo:

If the car runs and is still on the road then DON"T DO IT!!!

You are better off doing a running restoration. Work on it a little at a time. Start simple like stripping a door or fender. Don't start the next piece to you have finished the one you are working and it is on completely fixed, painted, and back on the car.

Takes up less room and more importantly less chance of ending up with a dissembled car worth nothing.

Last edited by asennad; 07-22-2003 at 01:05 PM.
Old 07-22-2003, 01:03 PM

yea i guess but i wanted to do it now because i live at home and since i am at school i will have all the tools necessary to build this and in 2 years i will graduate and i wont have all the tools
Old 07-22-2003, 04:15 PM
Fantastically cannibalistic!

Last photo:

unless you have a dependable daily driver and spare time and money don't take it apart, just make it as nice as possible with interior and exterior goodies.

HK
Old 07-22-2003, 04:25 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

I usually dump all the fasteners in a big paint bucket! The ones that don't fall into the dirt & trash on the floor and get lost , that is.
Old 07-22-2003, 05:22 PM

from what i saw on Trucks TV it didnt look that complecated
Old 07-22-2003, 05:32 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Those TV show leave out a BUNCH of work. A ground up restoration will take at minimum a year if you have a real day job like most of us do. Plus, unless it is a unique collecter car, you will have MUCH more money in it than you will ever recoup. There are legions of unfinished basket cases out there from people who bit off more than they dould chew.

Don't get me wrong, it will be a great educational experience but expect to lose money on the project and plan on it taking eons longer than you think it will now.

If you want a reliable ride, do like HK suggests and only fix the stuff that's broke.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.