Complete car painting kit??? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2006, 04:37 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Well I guess if a person is going to go with the masses for Choosing a Paint Brand then they should buy from one of the PROVEN Companies below. This is the way they RANK:

Quote:
2005 Top Companies

Our ranking is based on annual sales of paint, coatings, adhesives, sealants and related products. For companies based outside the U.S., sales are translated into U.S. dollars using the average currency exchange rate for the company\'s fiscal year/reporting period.

Below is the 2005 ranking page and brief information on each company. The full 42-page report can be found in our print edition.

Brief Company List
1 Akzo Nobel (The Netherlands) $6.529 billion
2 ICI Group (UK) $5.378 billion
3 PPG Industries (USA) $5.275 billion
4 Henkel (Germany) $5.27 billion
5 Sherwin-Williams (USA) $4.91 billion*
6 DuPont (USA) $3.65 billion*
7 BASF Coatings (Germany) $2.515 billion
8 Valspar (USA) $2.44 billion
9 RPM (USA) $2.3 billion
10 SigmaKalon (The Netherlands) $2.11 billion
11 Nippon Paint (Japan) $1.89 billion
12 3M (USA) $1.85 billion*
13 Kansai Paint (Japan) $1.83 billion
14 H.B. Fuller (USA) $1.4 billion
15 Masco (USA) $1.2 billion
16 Rohm and Haas (USA) $1.149 billion
17 Sika (Switzerland) $1.13 billion*
18 COMEX (Mexico) $1.02 billion*
19 AB. Wilh. Becker (Sweden) $945.4 million
20 DAW (Germany) $945.3 million
21 Benjamin Moore (USA) $915 million*
22 Jotun (Norway) $903.4 million
23 Hempel (Denmark) $726.04 million
24 Dai Nippon Toryo (Japan) $590 million*
25 Asian Paints (India) $574.6 million
26 Tikkurila (Finland) $547.29 million
27 Brillux (Germany) $523 million*
28 Forbo (Switzerland) $465.5 million
29 Wattyl (Australia) $381.8 million
30 Orica (Australia) $380.8 million
31 Barloworld (South Africa) $362.37 million
32 Arch (USA) $351 million
33 Kelly-Moore (USA) $335 million
34 Chugoku Marine Paint (Japan) $303.95 million
35 KCC (South Korea) $300 million*
36 Dainippon Ink and Chemical (Japan) $295 million*
37 Dyrup (Denmark) $278.8 million
38 Lord Corp. (USA) $275 million*
39 Altana (Germany) $267.42 million
40 Dunn-Edwards (USA) $265 million*
41 Yasar (Turkey) $264 million
42 Helios (Slovenia) $254.9 million
43 Rock Paint (Japan) $234.93 million
44 Sico (Canada) $233.63 million
45 CIN (Portugal) $219.2 million
46 Renner (Brazil) $205 million*
47 Ameron (USA) $199.6 million
48 DPI South (South Korea) $185.6 million
49 National Paints (Jordan) $185 million
50 Shinto Paint (Japan) $176.6 million
51 Tigerwerk (Austria) $156 million*
52 Cloverdale Paint, Inc. (Canada) $153 million*
53 Yung Chi Paint and Varnish (Taiwan) $152 million*
54 Tohpe (Japan) $150.49 million
55 Industrias Titan (Spain) $145.2 million
56 M.A.B. Paints (USA) $140 million*
57 Ace Paint (USA) $135 million
58 Toa Paints (Thailand) $128 million*
59 Vogel Paint (USA) $125 million
60 Grebe Group (Germany) $124 million*
61 Insl-x Products Corp. (USA) $115 million*

*estimated sales
http://www.coatingsworld.com/article...-companies.php
I reckon that the SIKKENS Brand from AKZO NOBEL is the BEST!

If your Local Jobber doesn't carry it then forget it and move on to the next brand that the list contains above for your paint brand choice! By logical reasoning if the Paint is not listed above then it is SUBSTANDARD.

Advertisement

Last edited by Timer; 02-07-2006 at 04:43 PM.
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2006, 04:45 PM

Last photo:

I've had good luck with omni and limco, both value lines of the big paint companys, ppg and rm or whoever owns it now. But the value lines are going to be more work for you as a painter. Not quite as user friendly and more time spraying putting on more coats for coverage. They have less tints and toners on the mixing banks then the upper lines, and some colors might not have as much brillance I guess you could say, as it would if a higher line like deltron or chromabase were used. They may not have as much metallic control either. I have used marhyde clear quite a bit that I seen you can buy through smartshoppers. Its a little bit thicker then other value line clears, although most I've used have looked pretty decent. The marhyde does have a slight yellowish tint to it though when you pour it out. How do they hold up? who knows I haven't seen anything real far down the road. I still have a car sitting here painted with omni urethane single stage that was painted 5 years ago, and I will say the paint is holding up great, rust is coming through, but the paint still looks pretty good. I guess it depends on what you are expecting and if you want to work a little bit harder to get a good looking paint job. I have never used any kirker products, so I can't comment on them.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:50 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timer
Well I guess if a person is going to go with the masses for Choosing a Paint Brand then they should buy from one of the PROVEN Companies below. This is the way they RANK:

I reckon that the SIKKENS Brand from AKZO NOBEL is the BEST!

If your Local Jobber doesn't carry it then forget it and move on to the next brand that the list contains above for your paint brand choice! By logical reasoning if the Paint is not listed above then it is SUBSTANDARD.

Gee. I didn't see E-bay on that list anywhere..... I guess I'll stick with PPG, DuPont, HOK, and SPI. At least I know their quality products.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:56 PM

Last photo:

The reason the top companies are listed has nothing to do with automotive refinish division.

The top ones you will find are big in ---Industrial, drugs, house paint, or powder coatings. Akzo & ICI 3-5% of auto market?

The automotive market is the smallest market, so in defense of Kirker this has no bearing on anything. Even though the parent company is an industrial company.

More cut and paste garbage that means nothing for the subject they are talking about.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:01 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline
Gee. I didn't see E-bay on that list anywhere..... I guess I'll stick with PPG, DuPont, HOK, and SPI. At least I know their quality products.
Well I didn't see SPI anywhere on that list above for TOP PAINT COMPANIES.
Sorry but it is SUBSTANDARD since it is not on the LIST OF WHO IS WHO in the PAINT LISTINGS. "Remember the BEST just cost a little more!" THAT WAS A QUOTE.

Of Course most economy lines like OMNI, NASON, and Dimension fall under the Big names like PPG, DuPont and S&W from the list above. Of course HOK falls under the Valspar Banner too. No SPI, NO KIRKER, and NO TRANSTAR. DARN!

Heck as far as that goes no EUROCOATE from EBAY either:
http://stores.ebay.com/EUROCOATE-AUTOPAINT-SUPERSTORE

Hmmm wonder if I should start my own label of paint from Kirker or EuroCoate?
They will make paint for me and relabel it and even provide MSDS - Tech Sheets.
Of course it would not be on the list above nor would it be offered from a LOCAL JOBBER. DARN IT!
Old 02-07-2006, 05:05 PM

Last photo:

Hmmm wonder if I should start my own label of paint from Kirker or EuroCoate?
They will make paint for me and relabel it and even provide MSDS - Tech Sheets.
Of course it would not be on the list above nor would it be offered from a LOCAL JOBBER. DARN IT![/QUOTE]

You should! Then you would not have so much time to be clipping and pasting garbage or the other sites you like to send out.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:08 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK
You should! Then you would not have so much time to be clipping and pasting garbage or the other sites you like to send out.

Got any pointers for using the Internet to Build a Dealer and Customer Base?
Old 02-07-2006, 05:10 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timer
Got any pointers for using the Internet to Build a Dealer and Customer Base?
Sure do Cofer,

Last edited by Centerline; 02-07-2006 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Personal attack
Old 02-07-2006, 05:14 PM

Last photo:

Edited personal attack.

Last edited by Centerline; 02-07-2006 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Personal attack
Old 02-07-2006, 05:40 PM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Last photo:

rolling on the floor laughing..... DAYUM Big C, that was fast editing
Old 02-07-2006, 06:03 PM

Last photo:

Hmm, looks like another kirker thread.
PPG stands for pittsburg plate glass, Now I don't see anything that would make me think auto paint looking at the name, 3m and dupont, what don't they make? I wouldn't be surprised if you could buy dupont brand condoms.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenseth17
Hmm, looks like another kirker thread.
PPG stands for pittsburg plate glass, Now I don't see anything that would make me think auto paint looking at the name, 3m and dupont, what don't they make? I wouldn't be surprised if you could buy dupont brand condoms.
If they did, you can imagine the color selection, ay?
Maybe some racing stripes too? vroom, vroom, vroom
Old 02-07-2006, 08:23 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

If you read Timer's posts seriously, which I hope most sensible people won't, you should ignore all of the hard work and time you spent on that car you are going to paint. Just buy the cheapest paint you can find from anywhere. Throw it on the thing, and ignore how it may look a year or two down the road.

Consider this. Someone came to your door selling a paint that you have never heard of. The price was lower than what you have seen anywhere else. Would you just buy it, because you could save money, then spray it on the car that you just spent weeks, months, or even years, working on to get it right?

I am not saying that you should go out and buy the most expensive paint that you can find. Just buy something from a reputable compnay that will be there is you have a problem. Make sure that the paint that you are buying for your baby isn't some "close out" type of deal, that you will wish later that you had passed up.

Aaron
Old 02-07-2006, 09:39 PM

Last photo:

Adtkart don't go putting words into OPEN recommendations and then sticking my nick name on them as the originator. You are saying those things not me. Go ahead and take the CREDIT for telling people ""just to use any old paint they can find cheap"" = ADTKART.

I am providing info and people can make their own decision based on what they have to work with for budgets and what not. I would hope that as ADULTS they can make their own decisions and put their own best interest to work after doing whatever research they feel is necessary. Personally I have never used Kirker. If I were NEW then might be terrified of it after reading some of the comments from some of the REGULARS here about Kirker.

What I see everytime a post is made on this Hotrodder forum about Kirker is people like you going NUTZ. Have you ever used Kirker?> This post was all but over until JCCLARK had to put out his tired 2 cents from a BOTCHED HOME CHEMIST EXPERIEMENT = MISMATCH of PAINT BRANDS THAT FAILED! When people do not follow instructions and it results in a failure then who is at FAULT?

Just so People Know this is a bit about Kirker's History:
Quote:
Kirker Automotive Finishes

Established in 1898, Kirker Automotive Finishes is one of America’s oldest paint manufacturers still in existence today. For more than 100 years, we’ve manufactured high quality paints and related products, using only premium raw materials and the latest coatings technologies.

We are proud of our quality record and are committed to manufacturing user-friendly products that work right each and every time. Kirker’s focus on quality assurance and careful attention to detail help to ensure that our coatings stand up to the most demanding automotive industry standards.

Our R&D efforts are focused on improving existing products and identifying new items to suit emerging needs as they arise. We listen to the people who use our products and trust their opinions. We think customer feedback should be an important driving force behind any company’s innovation. That certainly is the case at Kirker Automotive Finishes.

Over the years, we have worked hard to build the Kirker Automotive Finishes reputation and grow our business. With ever-expanding distribution and a rapidly spreading customer base, Kirker Automotive Finishes continues to define itself as the country’s primary source for low-cost automotive refinish materials.

About Our Parent Company:
Kirker Automotive Finishes is one of several divisions owned and operated by Coventry Coatings Corp., a New York-based business established in 1987. In addition to the product line from Kirker Automotive Finishes – which it acquired in 1996 – the company maintains a diverse portfolio of industrial, high-performance and specialty coatings which it sells under trade names such as Coventry Coatings, North American Technologies and Trylaner.

Late in 2004, Coventry Coatings Corp. moved all operations to a new location in Newburgh, New York. The move effectively doubled production and warehousing space for Coventry Coatings Corp. The new facility is much more modern than the company’s previous confines, and provides significant operating efficiencies.

http://www.kirkerautomotive.com/html/about_kirker.html
ADTKART

Years ago on the Various Forums people would jump up and down and SWEAR to GOD that OMNI would not last a YEAR. There were people that SWORE on their MAMA's LIFE that MC161 didn't have any UV protection because it is WATER COLOR CLEAR! THOSE PEOPLE have now been Proven WRONG and FADED or CHANGED THEIR TONE!
Do you know what I see when people knock, The Kirker and have not tried it? THE SAME THING ALL OVER AGAIN! Where are all the PEOPLE WITH LEGIT CLAIMS FOR FAILURES ESPECIALLY since KIRKER has BEEN AROUND FOR SO LONG = over a 100 years? Shouldn't there be a lot of LEGITIMATE COMPLAINTS somewhere if KIRKER was a terrible paint? Where are they hiding?

The temptation with Cheap materials is to ABUSE them because they are after all NOT EXPENSIVE. People that buy and use EXPENSIVE PAINTS tend to take a lot more care so as NOT to WASTE IT.

I am done here = for now! You guys crack me up!
Old 02-07-2006, 09:46 PM
Tool & Die Repair God!!!

Last photo:

re: Complete car painting kit???

Look fellas, I'm newer to all this and all i asked is if anyone new anything about the kit advertised in the mag. And also if its possible or wise to clear coat over epoxy primer as a flat base coat far that nostalgic look. I'm laughing my ***** off right now reading all of this. This has to be the best question I ever asked on here. Thanks rodders--Kevin
Closed Thread

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.