Complete car painting kit??? - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2006, 09:53 PM
Tool & Die Repair God!!!

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

re: Complete car painting kit???

Thanks Timer, that was some good info, I have to paint a friends work car so I'm gonna have him pay for the paint kit and we'll see how it does. Also just wanted to add that the kirker on ebay was from their ebay store. I wish we all lived closer so I could have everyone over for a bar-b-q. That would be interesting --Kevin

Advertisement
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2006, 10:16 PM

I just used the $160 kit on my Factory Five 65 Roadster body. I am into this car for well over $35k in parts alone plus countless hours of labor assembling it since late 2004...so this was not a small project for me. I spent many hours doing body work in which I used all Evercoat products (Featherfill G2 primer, Rage Extreme, and easy Sand).

When my body was totally straight I ordered the Kirker kit from Smartshoppers... I sprayed the entire body with two coats of Kirker Enduro Prime (did not come with kit) then sprayed the body with Kirker Perfect Prime (came with the kit), after I had worked the Perfect Prime (which by the way sanded beautifully) to 400 grit I painted with the Mack Blue Ultra-Glo paint (part of kit). I am extremely happy with my results and the way all the products from the kit worked. I also contacted Kirker directly with questions along the way and received VERY detailed answers within hours. If I were to start all over I would use them again in a second!

My advice is, try to speak to people that have actually used the products in question and make your decision from there. I think the bottom line is if you follow the directions for the products and do the job at hand well the result will speak for itself.

Good Luck

PS. you can see pics of my project here: http://www.mykobra.com/links.htm
Old 02-07-2006, 11:12 PM

Last photo:

Sorry workingclass I should have warned you that this was coming when I replied to your original post. I figured If I didn't bring up the long standing hatred that exist on this forum regarding any mention of kirker and just gave you MY honest opinion and experiences with it that your post could be answered in a manner which would be helpful to you regarding your question. Anyway I stand behind my orginal post and would like for you to know that the hood I posted had not been buffed as someone had stated in another post. Not sure if that comment was directed at me or not?

Not my job to make up your mind for you and I don't feel like debating this just like to wish you luck with your project.

Kobra4Kris, Car is looking good. Hope the masses don't shun you for mentioning kirker on your first post. A link in a kirker debate is what led me to this site and I have felt like the odd man out over here ever since my first post. Hope the site doesn't give you the same feeling. Still dreaming about a blower after seeing that setup on your Cobra. Let me be the first to welcome you to this site for what its worth.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:36 PM

bloverby, thanks for the welcome. Yup, I found this thread through a link from another forum too.

I hope to install the body over this weekend, I'll shoot you some pics of it on. You know how I feel about the blower issue...you WON'T regret it. I promise.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:43 PM
Tool & Die Repair God!!!

Last photo:

re: Complete car painting kit???

No apology needed bloverby, and thanks for all your help and everyone else who chimed in to put their 2 cents in. I figure now I got what I had coming and I appreciate all the feedback about the kirker products good and bad. I think i'm gonna go for it on my buddys car and I probably will on my impala. Keep on wrenching--Workingclass
Old 02-08-2006, 04:31 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

I only posted here to hopefully help someone avoid some of the problems that I have seen over the years. I have seen, and had it happen to me, where a cheaper brand was used, and caused more work and cost on a job. As was posted, the true test is over time, not what it looks like right after spraying, or a day, a week, or even a month later. Some of the cheaper, paints and primers will shrink up, crack, change colors, and do many other things over time. I doubt that you will find any paint manufacturer that will say, " We use the cheapest crap that we can find to produce our produts. That way we can sell them alot cheaper than everyone else, to save you money". The fact is, in my opinion, when something is so much cheaper from one company than from everyone else, there is something going on there. When you can buy a whole "kit" to do a car for what the primer costs from somewhere else, I have to wonder where they are saving the money at. For an example, you can go to Harbor Freight and buy a set of vice grip type pliers for about $10, when the same pliers of the "Vice Grip" brand is going to cost you $50+. Now, for light work the Harbor Freight ones may work. Then again, if you put any real pressure on them, they will fail.

Now, Timer, you apparently are here for no other reason than to start agruements. It gets old fast, and as far as I am concerned, you have overstayed your welcome. I see that you said that you have not used Kirker products. I have doubts that you have ever done any type of bodywork or sprayed any type of paint. All you do, as was said before is, cut and paste useless information. Get a life.

Aaron
Old 02-08-2006, 05:05 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers
Last photo:

Timer gives good advice- don't mix products and to follow the instructions.
Even if the retailer tells you something is compatible, don't believe them.
Even if the manufacturer rep. tells you their product is fine with
someone elses, Don't do it.
If you do, and you have anything go wrong you'll never be able
to establish blame unless it's all one brand of product.
Even the reatiler and factory reps will backstep and say
"you didn't follow the mfg instructions"
You'll get no help from anybody.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:05 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

lets see, 50 grand in parts, months if not years of sweat. now for the most important part of my car. what people will see. of course , buy cheap paint ????? sorry but when it come to paint supplies cost is not a factor. even on a budget. loose some of the bling and buy top shelf quality stuff for your paint job. and i dont care who makes it but cheap is cheap for a reason. i will never understand this, i'm so confused
i build for a living and know from experence that cheaper will bite you on the butt. one redo and all the savings went down the crapper. you will never see me recomend cheap paint or cheap paint guns to a novice, they need all the help they can get
Old 02-08-2006, 06:14 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers
Last photo:

Shine-you hit the nail on the head, you're absolutely right.
But, you're a professional wanting a professional job, Duh!!!
Now, let's see. if I were getting my car painted by someone, who would I
pick?, A professional using top quality products or ??????????.
I'd pick you everytime.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:03 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

This thread has been invaded by a number of people who spend a lot of time on D71/Don/Timer's forum. Most of which are pushing Kirker products.

Timer/D71/Don has been pushing Kirker very hard on several forums. Therefore I can't help but believe that he is in some way connected with Kirker. This violates our policy on advertising especially since he admits never using the product himself. He has also violated our copy/paste policy with his adds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timer
Personally I have never used Kirker.
Second I have warned Timer/D71/Don before about his attitude and I have had to edit one post of his in this thread already for a personal attack. Therefore Timer/D71/Don has been banned from this forum. If he believes he has been treated unfairly and wishes to be reinstated he will have to e-mail Jon and discuss it with him.

As a warning to the rest of the members here, we will not allow violations of our advertising policy or personal attacks as D-71 encourages on his forum. If you can't follow the rules here then I strongly suggest you spend your time elsewhere.

This thread is closed.

Last edited by Centerline; 02-09-2006 at 08:21 AM.
Closed Thread

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.