Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - compound, buff, polish
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2012, 02:38 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I have used a lot of products over the years. I always want to minimize hours, and get a factory quality "street & show" finish.

The one I finally settled on was to sand with McGuires 1200 paper (levels faster)... buff with 3M 06031 compound with a white waffle pad... then polish with 3M 05973 with a gray waffle. It gave me a great finish every time!

It worked great for about 15 years... until recently... when they discontinued the 06031 buffing compound. The other 3M buffing compounds I have tried to substitute could not seem to handle 1200 sand scratches! Now I had to increase my sanding time and paper expense... or find a solution.

I called my paint store of 20+ years, and told them what I wanted to do, and what product might get it done???

My buddy Ray told me that there was a new 3M product... "3M 06085"... that would finish 1200 scratches... but the stuff was $40 a quart!!!

Well... "time is money", so I told him to send me a bottle. I just finished a Harley "bagger" in the new Camaro "Synergy Green".... and this stuff works GREAT!!!

Instead of buffing with one pad and product... then polishing with another pad and product... I just used the new compound with a white pad. It buffed up faster than anything I had ever used... and I actually used less compound than before to do it! I didn't even bother to get the polish and gray pad out!!! It may be necessary for darker colors... but on this job, the bright green looked great without it! :-)

It gets my recommendation! Even for the extra materials cost to the customer, it will save him more dollars on labor.