Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Compress Mustang rear disc brake caliper piston
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2010, 04:43 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Compress Mustang rear disc brake caliper piston

The rear disc brakes on my 2005 Mustang GT use a caliper where the piston has to be turned as it is compressed to allow space for the new pads.

I tried doing it by hand with a needle nose pliers, but could not get enough leverage to turn and push in the piston at the same time. The notches in the piston that are used for leverage to turn it are not very big.

I bought a universal tool at the parts store that looks like a little cube with nubs on its. The nubs are supposed to fit the notches in the piston, and you use a 3/8" socket extension to push and turn it. However, I'm not sure the cheap tool will get a good grip on the notches in the piston, and I will need three hands to hold the caliper, turn the piston, and compress the piston all at the same time.

Is this the right method, or have I missed something? A standard C-clamp will not work, because there is no way to turn the piston as it is compressed.

Thanks,

Bruce