Compressed air setup. What's the right way and the wrong way? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2013, 06:50 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Compressed air setup. What's the right way and the wrong way?

I'll admit that I'm a little confused when it comes to running air lines. I have a Eaton compressor that I purchased for regular air tools, maybe some painting, but more that anything for sandblasting. I'm using the 3/4'' maxline kit but may also use galvanized, or black pipe. I talked to someone yesterday from TP Tools and they told me the filter or regulator should be at least 25' from the compressor. True or not? I've seen so many pictures where I've seen them coming from the compressor. Jumper hose or no hose? I started with a jumper hose and then installed a regulator, filter, lubricator combo. Now I'm hearing the lubricator is not even necessary.

So this is what I'm going to try to start with. Jumper hose from the air compressor then the regulator which is now separated from the lubricator. Next install a coalescing filer. Will this be necessary sence I'll have the regulator, filter? Then I start my maxline from there. Run it straight a few feet and then up, install an elbow and over another 6 to 8 feet. This is where I will make my first drop. The second drop where be on the right side of the cabinet. On my second drop my plan may be installing it the same way TP Tools has in there diagram for the green moisture removing kit without the riser. What is the purpose of the risers anyways and do I really need it. I've seen pictures of others doing it this way. Metal Piping Kits - TP Tools & Equipment this is where the other piping would come into play. If I do it with the maxline piping more fittings. There fittings are not cheap. I may also run it straight down and half way down go across a few feet with the maxline. I'm sure there's other ways. Sorry if it sounds confusing. I may do a little painting but I like to do this the right way first cause I got a lot of money invested right now. The main questions are will it work? And where should the regulators, filters, dryers be located.
Any help is appreciated. Please show pictures of what you guys have.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2013, 08:11 PM

Compressed Air System Install Air Filter Photo 10

This is another idea I came across. Although he later says this is about 50' of line from the compressor.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:27 AM
Grand Master of the Universe

Last photo:

Be sure to run the lines so any water that collects runs back to the tank. In other words, as you run, run uphill until you drop. Then end each drop with a bleed valve below the "T".
Old 07-19-2013, 07:31 AM
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought

Last journal entry: Lakeroadster's '31 Model A Tudor
Last photo:

I ran my lines as shown below and haven't had any issues. Note it shows the regulator installed away from the compressor, just as the manufactured. Here's a link: Air Piping Layout

Old 07-19-2013, 05:34 PM

If I'm using the maxline piping are the risers really necessary?
I thought of something different by starting with the 3' jumper hose and start at an angle towards the as high as possible. Go straight across. From the compressor shutoff valve is 18'. Go Straight across about 8' and make the drop. On that drop T off twice with one having a Regulator, filter and then a coalescing filter. This will be for regular tools.
The one below it will have a separator, and Pressure Regulator and use that as Sandblasting and possible a little easy painting. Would this work or do I need to add anything else.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:29 PM
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought

Last journal entry: Lakeroadster's '31 Model A Tudor
Last photo:

Yes the risers are needed. They help minimize water vapor carryover.

Be sure to install ball valves at all low points, including the compressor air tank, so you can "blow down" any water at the end of the day, each time you use the system. This is especially critical if you live in an area of the country that has high humidity, like Indiana.

That's also why they have the regulator far away from the compressor, so as much of the oils and/or water from the compressor can be knocked out naturally before it gets to the filter / regulator.

Last edited by lakeroadster; 07-19-2013 at 06:39 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:28 PM

There is already one shut off valve at the tank. There's also an automatic drain valve as well at the bottom of the tank.

Thanks
Old 09-22-2013, 08:53 AM

Last journal entry: Actual Car Work
Last photo:

Here's some info on the science behind proper pipe sizing that you might find useful.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.