Compression fittings on brake lines - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2011, 05:16 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

I had a brakeline with a compression fitting blow in front of my face on Thursday and I got lucky.Turned my head when it happened and the vehicle was on the hoist looking for a brake line leak.I had an employee push on the brake pedal and that is when it happened.I have the hydraulic Mastercool flaring tool kit at work and love it and has paid for itself already although it is not cheap.

Advertisement
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2011, 06:36 PM

That's what I thought. I've used them in antique car restorations and never had a problem. When you consider the engineering principle of the fitting there's no reason why they would fail under brake compression, which is not that high compared to other hydraulics. If they leak it's easy enough to catch the problem before it becomes dangerous. Usually there is an indicator for low brake fluid in your gauges. A catastrophic failure would be extremely unlikely. I don't know where all this hysteria comes from. has anybody ever seen a death dealing catastrophic failure of comp fittings in an ordinary car?
Old 09-25-2011, 07:03 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by outerrealm
.....has anybody ever seen a death dealing catastrophic failure of comp fittings in an ordinary car?
NO. Because auto manufacturers have been using double flare mild steel lines and single flare SS lines for decades and they do that for a reason.

Compression fittings are NOT designed to hold the kinds of pressures that are seen in an automotive brake system. A compression fitting will handle 300-500 psi just fine but a modern brake system can have pressures just in normal stopping of 1200 psi. Under a panic stop that can double. There is a reason flared tubing is used in automotive applications.... ITS CALLED SAFETY !!!

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

“Life is hard..... and it's even harder if you're stupid.” - John Wayne
Old 09-25-2011, 07:18 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Here's the way I look at this......Compression fittings on brake lines would be more expensive and wouldn't do as good a job as flared lines.....Why would you use them?
Old 09-25-2011, 07:41 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicafd
I had a brakeline with a compression fitting blow in front of my face on Thursday and I got lucky.Turned my head when it happened and the vehicle was on the hoist looking for a brake line leak.I had an employee push on the brake pedal and that is when it happened.I have the hydraulic Mastercool flaring tool kit at work and love it and has paid for itself already although it is not cheap.
Why am I not surprised

Chet
Old 09-25-2011, 08:03 PM

So where are the stories of catastrophic failures of these? Accidents must have made headlines, big fat consumer alerts must have issued, Ralph Nader must have weighed in? By the way, I'm driving a geo metro, I might reconsider in the case of a bigger or more modern car
Old 09-25-2011, 08:14 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
Here's the way I look at this......Compression fittings on brake lines would be more expensive and wouldn't do as good a job as flared lines.....Why would you use them?
I will repeat the question.....WHY WOULD ANYONE USE THEM?
Old 09-25-2011, 08:30 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
So where are the stories of catastrophic failures of these? Accidents must have made headlines, big fat consumer alerts must have issued, Ralph Nader must have weighed in? By the way, I'm driving a geo metro, I might reconsider in the case of a bigger or more modern car
Your little POS Geo has a modern braking system which equals (for most intelligent people anyway) a high pressure system. Doesn't matter the size of the car. Especially one with disk brakes, which yours has.

ONLY AN IDIOT WOULD INTENTIONALLY USE COMPRESSION FITTINGS ON AN AUTOMOTIVE BRAKING SYSTEM.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

“Life is hard..... and it's even harder if you're stupid.” - John Wayne
Old 09-25-2011, 08:39 PM

The brakeline with compression fitting that blew in my face was not secured very well.I use brake line by the roll,less connections to leak.Can get it in 25 feet and 50 feet.There is lot of psi coming out of the brakes.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:50 PM

Uh, why would I use them? Duh, to fix my brake lines. Because there's no reason not to. I used them on a 3 ton 1959 Cadillac hearse which I drove constantly for 6 years without a problem. I don't buy into factually unsubstantiated hysteria. By facts I mean where are all of the accidents and disasters caused by these? If they're so unsafe there should be hundreds, thousands of incidents about these. You people who are preaching so loudly, post a link showing a catastrophic failure of these in a passenger vehicle. By the way, when these fail if they do, what do they do? Explode? Melt? Ascend to heaven? Or do they just start to leak a bit in which case easily remedied? By the way, let's have a little maturity here. It's just a debate, there's no need to impugn someone's intelligence or suggest they're an idiot for making their own choices based on their own experience and advice of reputable people. Anyone can do their own research, they don't have to rely on hysterical rantings of people who can't speak respectfully and reasonably.

Last edited by outerrealm; 09-25-2011 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:55 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Uh, why would I use them? Duh, to fix my brake lines. Because there's no reason not to. I used them on a 3 ton 1959 Cadillac hearse which I drove constantly for 6 years without a problem. I don't buy into factually unsubstantiated hysteria. By facts I mean where are all of the accidents and disasters caused by these? If they're so unsafe there should be hundreds, thousands of incidents about these. You people who are preaching so loudly, post a link showing a catastrophic failure of these in a passenger vehicle. By the way, when these fail if they do, what do they do? Explode? Melt? Ascend to heaven? Or do they just start to leak a bit in which case easily remedied?
So, even though they cost about 3x as much, you would still use them rather than use a much cheaper fix........just to prove a point?

Just wondering.....
Old 09-25-2011, 08:59 PM

Prove what? What are you talking about? I'm not making choices to prove a point. I make choices based on reliable substantiated information and advice from those I trust. Still waiting on that link to one of the many fatalities there must have been that were caused by these
Old 09-25-2011, 09:04 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Guys - ya can't argue with that kind of stupid logic.

OP - fix the friggin' thing RIGHT. You and your POS car may not be worth much, but the family you could possibly injure or worse are!!! A length of 3/16 or the metric equivalent is less then five bucks for 48" at NAPA. Even a 6' length of SS for my '31 was less then ten bucks.

DAM' !!!!

Dave W
Old 09-25-2011, 09:09 PM

Last photo:

I am not disputing whether these fitting would hold the pressure or not.......I am just asking if you would patch in a piece of brake line with a couple of compression fittings, where you could have replaced the whole line the regular way for the same cost?...Just seems kind of dumb to me.

What if that patched up line develops another leak a couple of feet down the line......a couple more compression fittings?

Its your car, do what you like....glad I am not on the same road
Old 09-25-2011, 09:45 PM

The compression fittings blow apart.Some of the predone lines,the flares are not done right sometimes.Have had a heck of a time getting them tight.The roll of line work great on trucks beside the frame rails coming back from the rear to the front.I do like my Mastercool set up and the manual set stays in my toolbox.
Closed Thread

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.