Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - compression on my 383
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2003, 11:31 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Is this a Chevy small block that you've stroked to a 383? If so, then where did you get your 8.8 to one compression figure from? I very cheaply built up a 383 using cast flat top pistons and smog big chamber heads. The compression is 9.4 to one. My cam is a SSI 214/224 which does not have as much duration as your Comp Cams(?)268 cam does. I cannot run the auto on regular gas but it will run fine on medium grade. So I would say you are safe with at least as much compression as I'm running. However, it's important to note that I live at 2000' above sea level so that will make a modest difference in the true compression ratio. Incidently, how are you planning on modifying your compession ratio? In reality, a 8.8 to one 383 small block can be made to run just fine. A high lift short duration cam is just the ticket that will turn that old Chev into a barn burner that will run on regular gas and you won't have to worry about piston to valve clearance and all of the trouble of changing the compression ratio. Good luck