compression ratio compared to compression PSI - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2005, 12:07 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

compression ratio compared to compression PSI

Is there a relationship between compression ratio and compression PSI checked at the plug hole? I bought this motor from a friend and he thinks it is 12:1 or better and doesn't remember cam specs other then it was Isky. It is a 350 chev with 202 heads. I have 185lbs at the plug holes and 13 lb of vacum at 1000rpm idle.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2005, 12:13 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

there's no relation. It depends more on the cam than anything else-

K
Old 01-04-2005, 12:16 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

COMPRESSION

If you can get the cam spec's i can back figure it for you pretty close. With out them it's like wizzing up a rope!!!!

Keith
Old 01-04-2005, 12:20 PM

compression

Is this due to valve overlap? Is there a way to measure with a dial indicator to get cam specs. Has solid lifters.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:21 PM

Last photo:

Compression Comparison

In a word, NO. Compression ratio is based on squeezing the swept area into the unswept area of the cylinder. Compression ratio is figured on the gross combustion area in the cylinder,when the piston is at bottom dead center, divided by the unswept area, which is the area above the top of the piston when its at top dead center. This gives you the static compression ratio.
Cylinder PSI is the actual pressure built in the cylinder, when the mixture is totally compressed.
There are a lot of factors governing PSI, cam overlap, cam timing, are two major factors.

For example; a 64 289 2 bbl engine with 9:1 compression, spec'd at 150 PSI.
A 64 260 2 bbl engine with 8.7:1 spec'd at 150 PSI, and a 200 cube 6, with 8.7:1 compression spec'd at 170 PSI.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:46 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

compression

I was just thinking about this all i really need in the intake closing degrees @.050 lift. If the engine is on a stand then you can use a degree wheel. Get it set to true tdc. Then let me know what the intake valve is at degree wise when the valve is at .050 before closing.

I need bore size, stroke, rod length,and the altitude your at.

Keith
Old 01-04-2005, 12:53 PM

Last photo:

PSI

The above PSI specs I used earlier, are, as they are for all engines, based on controlled environment, with atmospheric pressure set at sea level, mean temperatures etc. However, those figures are mostly affected by altitude when all other factors are the same.
150 PSI at sea level, will equate to about 120 PSI at 6000 ft elevation. (approx. figure).

If you have the spec sheet for your cam, it may well tell what the valve overlap is.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:07 PM

Having 185 PSIG and 13" vac tells me a couple of things. You have pretty stiff static compression and a pretty healty cam. I don't think you are running more than 12:1 though. I run just under 200 PSIG and 11.5" vac with 11.85 compression and a 258/266 @.050 camshaft. I do have quite a bit more displacement (454 small block) though it at least gives you some numbers to ponder.

One thing is for sure, if you can run pump gas then you are not running 12:1 compression. Won't work with a 2.02 iron head.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:34 AM
489 Lemans

Last journal entry: Street Legal
Last photo:

ratios

All I use a compression tester for, is to see if all cylinders are equal. I got a reading of 160 psi on 3 cylinders on a 4 banger. It had a broken ring on every piston. The cylinder with 2 broken rings was 80 psi.
Compression ratio is determined by piston dome and cylinder head combustion chamber cc size.
If you take the casting #s off the head. Look them up and it will give you a pretty good idea where you are.
For example; not too many people will dump alot of money into a 78 cc smogger head. Yes, you can put a high dome piston in it, but it isn't usually done.
A 70 cc head would look better and a 64 cc head would tell you there is probably a couple of bucks in there.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:31 AM
The Smell of Nitro in the morn

Last wiki edit: How to adjust valves Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

KBs site that explains it.
http://kb-silvolite.com/article.php?...54ee33dbc145cf
Old 12-28-2010, 06:58 PM

Thanks for the good info.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:36 PM

Last photo:

Personally I do believe that cylinder pressure can be converted to compression ratio. If your compression ratio is 12:1 theoretically that means the compression is 12 times atmospheric pressure. (atmospheric pressure compressed to 1/12th its uncompressed volume) At sea level there is 14.7psi of atmospheric pressure. 14.7 x 12 = 178psi. Not far from 185 and the compression tester could be off that much.

It may not be exact but it should get you close. 178 is an awful lot of compression for a gas engine so I would believe 12:1 to be accurate or close to it.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:15 PM
More for Less Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque454
Personally I do believe that cylinder pressure can be converted to compression ratio. If your compression ratio is 12:1 theoretically that means the compression is 12 times atmospheric pressure. (atmospheric pressure compressed to 1/12th its uncompressed volume) At sea level there is 14.7psi of atmospheric pressure. 14.7 x 12 = 178psi. Not far from 185 and the compression tester could be off that much.

It may not be exact but it should get you close. 178 is an awful lot of compression for a gas engine so I would believe 12:1 to be accurate or close to it.
Doing it this way will be as close as throwing darts at a chart, you'll get lucky every once and a while.

Your "theory" is not even close, intake valve closing point(cam timing) can alter this figure by 40+psi either way. You don't start trapping pressure in the cylinder until the intake valve is closed, there will be a big difference in even the same engine with a either a 45 ABDC intake closure and a 70 ABDC intake closure. I've seen an 11-1 engine pump 230 psi, and I've seen 11-1 pump 150 psi....depending on the camshaft size.

This is the reason why dynamic compression ratio calculators need mechanical compression ratio, stroke length, rod length, and intake closure point to compute a dynamic compression ratio calculation. There is no other way to do it.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:27 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72
Doing it this way will be as close as throwing darts at a chart, you'll get lucky every once and a while.

Your "theory" is not even close, intake valve closing point(cam timing) can alter this figure by 40+psi either way. You don't start trapping pressure in the cylinder until the intake valve is closed, there will be a big difference in even the same engine with a either a 45 ABDC intake closure and a 70 ABDC intake closure. I've seen an 11-1 engine pump 230 psi, and I've seen 11-1 pump 150 psi....depending on the camshaft size.

This is the reason why dynamic compression ratio calculators need mechanical compression ratio, stroke length, rod length, and intake closure point to compute a dynamic compression ratio calculation. There is no other way to do it.
You're talking dynamic compression, I am talking static compression. I think he was in reference to 12:1 static compression. Yes some of that will change based on cam specs, etc.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:36 PM
More for Less Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque454
You're talking dynamic compression, I am talking static compression. I think he was in reference to 12:1 static compression. Yes some of that will change based on cam specs, etc.
When you test an engine with a compression gauge, you are cycling the engine, you are measuring dynamic compression at this point, no other way to do it.

You can't cycle the engine and come up with any meaningful measurement of static compression ratio, but you can take this dynamic reading, combined with the intake valve closing point in degrees After Bottom Dead Center and do the math to come up with a reasonable approximation of static compression ratio. But this can still be influence by altitude, and starter cranking speed to throw the result off.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.