compression ratio help. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2012, 07:02 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

compression ratio help.

ok i have a sbc 350 40 over with Speed Pro 125 Dome Pistons with 76cc heads i was told if i use a Fel-Pro steel-shim head gasket 0.015-inch compressed thickness my cr should be close to 10.1 ..any one know what my compression should be?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2012, 09:16 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

What do you mean?
Old 08-14-2012, 09:27 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog7373 View Post
What do you mean?
Im trying to find out how much compression my engine has.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:42 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

There's a lot of calculators on line that will give you and exact number.
The Following User Says Thank You to bigdog7373 For This Useful Post:
the82elco (08-14-2012)
Old 08-15-2012, 04:47 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by the82elco View Post
ok i have a sbc 350 40 over with Speed Pro 125 Dome Pistons with 76cc heads i was told if i use a Fel-Pro steel-shim head gasket 0.015-inch compressed thickness my cr should be close to 10.1 ..any one know what my compression should be?
A piston such as the Speed Pro H618CP (0.125" dome) has a dome volume of 3.5cc and a compression height of 1.56". These numbers will be needed when it comes time to use a compression calculator.

You have to be careful when entering the dome or dish volume into the online calculators- some will want you to use a negative number for a dome, others will want a positive number for a dome. The one I linked to above is clearly marked to use a "-" for dished pistons, so in your case enter the dome volume of 3.5cc as a positive number (use no sign in other words).

Most head gaskets for a 4" bore SBC will have a gasket bore diameter of 4.09 to 4.100"

You will also need to know how far "in the hole" the piston is. A stock Chevy 350 block will be close to 0.025" in the hole. But when a block is prepped for a rebuilt engine, often metal is removed from the deck to clean and square up the surfaces. This decreases the piston deck clearance. Also there are "rebuilder" pistons that have a shorter compression height to compensate for milling the castings. Usually the rebuilder pistons measure 1.54", or 0.020" shorter than usual.

The cylinder head will also need to be measured to see exactly what the volume is. For the same reasons as the block is milled, the heads are often milled and also milled to gain compression in some cases. So you need to know the actual volume to be accurate.

All that said, if the heads are actually 76cc and the block is unmilled, pistons have a 1.56" compression height and using a 0.015" head gasket, the static compression ratio is going to be right at 10:1.

To see what the dynamic compression ratio is you need to know the rod length (stock is 5.7") and the intake closing point of the camshaft. This lets you estimate whether a combination of parts will be able to use pump gas w/o detonation, for example.

A couple calculators for dynamic compression ratio:
Dynamic CR

Another dynamic compression ratio calculator

Here is a short page on the compatibility of different cam durations to the compression ratio.

One last thing- do yourself a favor and read up on "quench". It's an important part of the engine build and can make the difference in having an octane hungry pinging engine or a smooth running engine w/o detonation.

BTW, no need to click "thanks".

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.