Compression Values For Engine That Refuses To Run - Page 7 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #91 (permalink)  
Old 04-18-2012, 12:26 PM
malc's Avatar
Living At The Speed Of Life
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Espaņa Right Coast
Posts: 3,263
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 90
Thanked 94 Times in 80 Posts
I´ve not seen a pawn shop in Spain.

Nevertheless, what I´m getting is cheapish, good enough though to see what I need to know.
I was going to get a Summit dial but can´t wait the week for it to arrive.

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #92 (permalink)  
Old 04-18-2012, 12:46 PM
painted jester's Avatar
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW
 

Last journal entry: mopar hump back
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central Michigan
Age: 68
Posts: 1,840
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 103
Thanked 292 Times in 240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by malc
I´ve not seen a pawn shop in Spain.

Nevertheless, what I´m getting is cheapish, good enough though to see what I need to know.
I was going to get a Summit dial but can´t wait the week for it to arrive.
I saw in your earlier posts you were from spain!! Are there any places you can rent an indicator? And by the looks of your lifters I dont see any bowled bottoms which indicate wear on the cam!! And ive seen cam lobes wore terribly bad and engines still idle!! But I have seen the fuel pump actuating rod wear down and the fuel pump not get a full stroke!! you may want to pull your pump and check the length of the actuating rod thats located behind the fuel pump plate and rides on the cam it may have excessive wear?

Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #93 (permalink)  
Old 04-18-2012, 01:52 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Age: 67
Posts: 827
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 27
Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Or, if your pump is of the servicable variety, open it up and check the diaphragm and the valves. A stuck valve, a bad diaphragm. Either could be part of the problem.

Pat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #94 (permalink)  
Old 04-18-2012, 01:58 PM
malc's Avatar
Living At The Speed Of Life
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Espaņa Right Coast
Posts: 3,263
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 90
Thanked 94 Times in 80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by painted jester
I saw in your earlier posts you were from spain!! Are there any places you can rent an indicator? And by the looks of your lifters I dont see any bowled bottoms which indicate wear on the cam!! And ive seen cam lobes wore terribly bad and engines still idle!! But I have seen the fuel pump actuating rod wear down and the fuel pump not get a full stroke!! you may want to pull your pump and check the length of the actuating rod thats located behind the fuel pump plate and rides on the cam it may have excessive wear?
Chris
I just put a straight edge to several of those lifters at random,
held them up to the light and all have dished bottoms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #95 (permalink)  
Old 04-18-2012, 02:00 PM
malc's Avatar
Living At The Speed Of Life
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Espaņa Right Coast
Posts: 3,263
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 90
Thanked 94 Times in 80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatM
Or, if your pump is of the servicable variety, open it up and check the diaphragm and the valves. A stuck valve, a bad diaphragm. Either could be part of the problem.

Pat
I´ve tried two pumps on it already, one Edelbrock and one Holley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #96 (permalink)  
Old 04-18-2012, 02:57 PM
thinwhiteduke's Avatar
Living In The Past
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Downunder
Age: 54
Posts: 428
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 36
Thanked 36 Times in 32 Posts
Still sounds like a vacuum leak to me.

Duke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #97 (permalink)  
Old 04-18-2012, 06:38 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
refuses to run

They guy talking the fuel pump rod wear is correct, the guy asking about oil return hole is also correct. Im my opinion I would do as another guy said and bolt on a electric pump before your pressure regulator and it will probably start. also im concerned about your broken oil filter housing adapter. why was it broke and is new one install correct. do u have the adapter lined up correct? steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #98 (permalink)  
Old 04-19-2012, 04:36 AM
malc's Avatar
Living At The Speed Of Life
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Espaņa Right Coast
Posts: 3,263
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 90
Thanked 94 Times in 80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77sportcoupe
They guy talking the fuel pump rod wear is correct, the guy asking about oil return hole is also correct. Im my opinion I would do as another guy said and bolt on a electric pump before your pressure regulator and it will probably start. also im concerned about your broken oil filter housing adapter. why was it broke and is new one install correct. do u have the adapter lined up correct? steve
I´ll check the pump pushrod next and the lift at the rockers.
The oil return hole is there, no problem there since I built the motor.

I think this broke due to age and maybe me overtightening the oil filter
a few times.
The new adapter is installed right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #99 (permalink)  
Old 04-19-2012, 01:21 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Age: 67
Posts: 827
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 27
Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Dished Lifters?

Hey Malc.
Seems like you're pretty astute. This is probably just semantics. Just to make sure we all understand, when you say the lifters are "Dished", that sounds to me like they have a concave face. If the face is (rounded) convex, good. If it is dished (concave) . . not so much. I trust you mean that the lifter faces have a spherical crown, and are convex in form.

PatM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #100 (permalink)  
Old 04-19-2012, 03:05 PM
malc's Avatar
Living At The Speed Of Life
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Espaņa Right Coast
Posts: 3,263
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 90
Thanked 94 Times in 80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatM
Hey Malc.
Seems like you're pretty astute. This is probably just semantics. Just to make sure we all understand, when you say the lifters are "Dished", that sounds to me like they have a concave face. If the face is (rounded) convex, good. If it is dished (concave) . . not so much. I trust you mean that the lifter faces have a spherical crown, and are convex in form.

PatM
The lifters are concave, I put a straight edge on them and held them up to the garage light, definately concave.

Just got me reasonable pic of a lifter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #101 (permalink)  
Old 04-19-2012, 03:16 PM
malc's Avatar
Living At The Speed Of Life
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Espaņa Right Coast
Posts: 3,263
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 90
Thanked 94 Times in 80 Posts
Here´s a macro shot of the base, the marked inner ring is concave.



This shot viewed large inmy gallery shows the surface pitting.

Last edited by malc; 04-19-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #102 (permalink)  
Old 04-19-2012, 03:59 PM
T-bucket23's Avatar
Hotrodders.com Moderator
 
Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Age: 57
Posts: 5,204
Wiki Edits: 26

Thanks: 7
Thanked 114 Times in 99 Posts
You need to get back to the basics. You are in way to deep. I really didnt understand you pulling the heads when compression was normal and consistent across all cylinders.I would in this order

1,Plug all vacuum ports at the carb and see if it will run.
2,Turn the idle up to what ever it takes and take 1 plug wire off at a time to see if any make no difference.
3, Check fuel pressure with a gauge, don't guess.
4, Check voltage at the coil.
5, Check engine grounds
6 put a timing light on it at whatever you can get it to stay running at and see
what the reading is.
7 Vacuum gauge at whatever rpm it will stay running at, report the reading
and if it is steady.

get back with results
__________________
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity



Chet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #103 (permalink)  
Old 04-19-2012, 04:22 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Age: 67
Posts: 827
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 27
Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Gotta agree with Chet that there is some basic stuff that oughta be done. In addition to his list, though, I'd have to add checking the lift produced by the cam. Lifter faces should be convex.

Pat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #104 (permalink)  
Old 04-19-2012, 05:50 PM
T-bucket23's Avatar
Hotrodders.com Moderator
 
Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Age: 57
Posts: 5,204
Wiki Edits: 26

Thanks: 7
Thanked 114 Times in 99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatM
Gotta agree with Chet that there is some basic stuff that oughta be done. In addition to his list, though, I'd have to add checking the lift produced by the cam. Lifter faces should be convex.

Pat
It could be an issue but I dont think it will give him the issue he has. Personally I think there is a huge vacuum leak that is preventing the carb from working at idle
__________________
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity



Chet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #105 (permalink)  
Old 04-19-2012, 07:22 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Age: 67
Posts: 827
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 27
Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts
I don't disagree. But it seems to me that concave lifters will destroy the lobes on a cam P.D.Q. Don't you think that the edge around the concave area will begin its damage by shaving the rear (highest) edge of the lobe? If he cuts apart the filter, that may tell the story. I'm not a pro wrench, but "Dad always said" those lifters need to be convex.
With some of the recent goings on here, I've gotta mention, absolutely no offense intended, but I do think it needs to be pursued.

PatM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Saginaw refuses to shift when hot Saito Transmission - Rearend 9 01-04-2011 07:06 PM
My wife refuses to support Bailouts!! Javelin360 Hotrodders' Lounge 14 06-21-2009 09:31 AM
Adjust Values Wayne Wagstaff Hotrodding Basics 4 05-14-2007 11:08 AM
392 Hemi Values FM2000 Engine 1 06-16-2004 12:25 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.