Hot Rod Forum banner

Compressor Advice

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Ken's 39er 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,

I have searched most of the threads and they are all several years old so I wanted to ask what is the best compressor for under $1,000. I have been looking at Puma Puma Belt-Drive Stationary Vertical Air Compressor — 80-Gallon Vertical, 5 HP, 14.5 CFM, Model# TE6580V | 19 CFM Below Air Compressors| Northern Tool + Equipment
and also at a Belaire 216V.

Also Open to other suggestions.

I will be using it to restore our 55 Ford Victoria. So some mild sand blasting, sander, air tools, etc. No painting as I am not set up for it yet.

#2 ·
Check out this comparison: Comparing 3 Items| Northern Tool + Equipment

I know you are wanting to stay under $1000, but if you are going to do very much sand blasting, painting, or air powered sanders, I would recommend at minimum the PUMA compressor that is $1189. The quincy compressor if by far the best on that list, but also the most expensive. For a home compressor the puma would likely do what you want, but with what you described that you want to eventually do with it, I think you would be better off and much happier to spend the extra few hundred and get the bigger PUMA. Now if you plan to use it several hours a day, 5-6 days a week, spring the money for the Quincy. It is a bigger investment initially, but it will outlast the PUMA by 4 1/2 times. Just some things to think about.

Kelly

#5 ·
I agree with Kelly 100%. In your first post you mentioned that you weren't set up for painting "yet"....and I completely understand the "Wifey" part...trust me I understand. However, if you are planning on painting, if you are contemplating painting, if think there is more than a 50% chance that you are going to be doing any painting...hide an extra $200.00 from some where, steal it out of her purse a dollar at a time...but...invest in the larger compressor. If you don't get the larger compressor now and you decide later to do any painting or run air tools like a DA sander in the future, it's going to be virtually impossible to go back to the wife and tell her you need a bigger compressor in 6 months or a year from now.

It is never a bad idea to get a larger compressor than you need. It will last longer, you can do more things with a larger compressor, less heat which in turn means less condensation which in turn means that your air tools will last longer, shorter cycle times...the list of reasons for getting a larger compressor goes on and on...it's just a good idea.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Ray

#7 ·
My advice is to Hold Out...I know it's a PITA and I wouldn't want to be without one but, the biggest mistake so many guys make is to get one that meets there needs for that moment and later they are hindered with a compressor that needs to be just a little bit bigger to sand that vehicle, or paint, sand blast, anything that takes a few more CFM or a little more reserve and then it becomes a woulda, shoulda, coulda scenario. I've seen it many times. That extra couple dollars today can make your life so much easier in the future.

Ray

#8 ·
I just received my Quincy model 2V41C60VC yesterday. Bought it from Northern Tool on sale for $1329 plus free shipping. It has returned to its original price of $1500 but will probably go on sale again. Other online stores might also have it on sale now. Tell your wife it is on SALE and the sales tax break might be going away soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.