Compressor Breakthru open letter to Willys36 Oldred - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2007, 01:08 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Compressor Breakthru

Oldred and Willys36 (a fellow engineer) are considered by me to be innovators, inventors and thinkers and doers beyond anyone I've seen. Just read the many posts by oldred and check out the Parts, tools, molds, and designs on Willys36 albums. I am pleased to announce my innovative breakthru here on Hotrodders and to finally have something they have not thought of first. After much thinking, searching, reading and experimenting in the area of compressors and their HP ratings, True, Peak, Rated, law suits regarding HP, RPM, SCFM, and ETC, I have solved a problem for all who don't have 220Volts to their shop. I have used a 60gal, belt drive, single stage, vertical compressor with a harbor freight 3450 RPM, 1HP, 110V compressor grade motor for 4 months with sandblasting, DA (this of course is the most challenging), Die grinder, HVLP and it operated all of these at a very acceptable rate (as compared to my little direct drive 25gal horizontal). The pump doesn't know if it's being turned by a windmill, gas motor, dog on a treadmill or 110Volter. I matched the RPM of the 220volt motor that this compressor was designed with and tried several pulley sizes on the motor thinking I should "gear down" to help the 110V. Gearing down will give you more "power", sort of, and gearing up (larger pulley on the motor) will give you more RPM at the pump. The prototype, secret, experimental unit did not trip it's thermal overload and was operated on a 20A circuit. Horsepower, after all, is a function of how it handles the "workload" and, in general, how the motor "performs". I suggest that you can now buy a used unit with a bad 220V motor or a unit with a 3 phase motor (that is very hard for someone to sell) and use a good grade 110V motor you have been saving to use somewhere or buy the HF for $75. Shoot holes in this all you want: I did it during my 56GMC 4X4 Carryall Restomod project and it worked!!! If I get an attaboy from Willys36 and Oldred, I will consider it an extreme compliment. Of course, everyone on this site has been very helpfull to me and is as great a value as anyone else. I did not sand or paint an entire vehicle, just weld repair panels, general fill, sand and prime with epoxy primer. The majority of the body work is done by the painter. Until this experiment is duplicated, repeated and empirically examined, it is just my judgement. Bartamos. (but it works!)

Advertisement

Last edited by bartamos; 03-23-2007 at 10:49 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2007, 12:26 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Thanx for the kudos, I'm humbled. However I'm a little uncertain about your setup. You didn't mention the cfm and pressure rating of your setup. IF you are replacing a 220V, 1hp motor with a 110V, 1hp motor it still of course work fine since HP is HP regardless of the voltage. However, if you are replacing a 5hp, 220V motor with a 1hp, 110V, that is a real trick which I would contend is impossible until I see it w/ my own failing eyes!! Let us know more about your setup.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:16 AM

Last photo:

Nice to hear from you. well deserved Kudos. I understand your question. The unit I experimented with was oldish and numbers on the plate were completely faded.

Last edited by bartamos; 03-23-2007 at 10:47 PM.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:32 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

What size pulleys did you use on the motor and pump of your new "prototype, secret, experimental unit that did not trip it's thermal overload and was operated on a 20A circuit." unit.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:24 AM

Last photo:

Same stock pulleys that were on them.

Last edited by bartamos; 03-23-2007 at 10:40 PM.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:23 PM

Last photo:

Not sure how to respond to this one but here goes, Replacing a 3 to 5 HP 220 volt motor with a 1 HP 110 volt is EXACTLY the same as replacing with a 220 volt 1 HP motor except for wire size and breaker requirements. To make it simpler one could compare the wattage of the motors for a more accurate measure of power available but no matter what the voltage if the motor is underpowered it probably wont last long. If you use smaller pulleys on the motor and/or larger ones on the pump then it may last ok but CFM will drop. This may be a viable option for someone without the right power available but they would have to accept lower performance or shortened motor life.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:48 PM

Last photo:

Hi Oldred. thanks for your reply. It may be that the motor will not last "long", don't know.

Last edited by bartamos; 03-23-2007 at 10:41 PM.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:02 PM

Last photo:

Good luck.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:43 PM
1976 Ranchero GT

Last journal entry: Almost time for the first drive!
Last photo:

I don't want this to sound rude at all but your time might be better spent reading up on how to run a 220 circuit. It is very simple and very cheap for any handy person to do there self. I think it is neat to mess around with stuff like you are doing though..
Old 03-23-2007, 04:55 PM

Last photo:

You are probably right.

Last edited by bartamos; 03-23-2007 at 10:42 PM.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:27 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Well, I am totally in the dark. I have NO clue what you are talking about.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:44 PM

Last photo:

Sorry, I switched to short and sweet postings like the guidelines say.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:24 PM
"May the Schwartz be with you"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: Finally getting going...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by willys36@aol.com
Well, I am totally in the dark. I have NO clue what you are talking about.
Maybe something to do with "free energy"?.........

Sounds like he is happy with it at least.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:50 PM

Last photo:

The bottom line is that energy from the motor is being stored (and very inefficiently at that) in the form of compressed air, this energy is then recovered as the air is released and allowed to expand. It just stands to reason that one can not store more energy over any given period of time than the motor produces.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:03 AM
point on positive

Last photo:

a question I would ask is would there be a speed too slow as to not get enough oil moving in the pump say in a wind or water paddle wheel set up? or a wife that peddles slow I was thinking of buliding a wind powered or water paddle wheel driven project and have some concern about low rpm and splash lube problems. It's true with a big enough storage tank cfm is a non-issue and topping it off is all it needs ...another hurdle is a way to govern once full and the wind/water is still wanting to turn it.

Last edited by milo; 05-03-2007 at 02:53 AM.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.