Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Compressor Confusion
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2011, 10:52 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Compressor Confusion

Hi folks, sorry for another compressor thread, its a confusing topic. I've been researching and visiting shops looking at 60-80 gallon models today.

I'm picking up a 240z project soon and I'll eventually be doing DA and HVLP. As far as compressors, I've come to the conclusion that I just need a recommendation. I get that the amps are critical for power ratings, and the tank size in relation to HP is about duty cycle. The CFM's are the critical piece. That being said, I'm also concerned about local delivery and service, so I'm finding myself tempted to restrict myself to three local brands:

Ingersoll Rand - namely the SS5L5 rated at an "optimistic" 18CFM@90 and 22.5 AMPS. There is a service center in Boston.

Campbell Hausfeld - namely the 80 gallon with 5HP claiming ??? CFM (19.5 amps) Lowes obviously. Great warranty.

Husky namely the 2 stage 80 gallon with 5HP claiming 12.6 SCFM (22 amps) Great warranty.

So... the CH has mystery meat CFM, that's bad. The IR couldn't possibly be putting out 18 CFM@90 so you can't trust the number. Might as well call the IR rating unpublished as well. The Husky sounds tempting as a 2 stage but... its a Husky. But the Husky is also a CH isn't it? Maybe I need to research what the pump is?

Anyway... I do want to paint a car and DA, so I need something that can handle it. I'm "trying" to say below $1500, but saving a few hundred isn't that critical. I just want to buy ONCE and not overpay if that's possible.

So please... looking for recommendations here. As far as HVLP I'm thinking DeVilbiss Finishline "rated for 23 psi air inlet pressure and 11.4 CFM to produce 10 psi at the tip." DA I'm slightly less concerned about, since I'll be going in bursts and there is no paint drying if I have to pause...

Thanks for any advice about my selections.