Compressor Confusion - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2011, 05:29 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002
Not sure what to do here. I may have to call around because I can't have these "lift gate service" distributors drop a 500 lb compressor in my driveway and leave me to my own devices. If I were lucky I could get my brother to help move the thing but still it is just too risky. I'll try to find someone local I guess who will deliver and place it in spot where I can simply drill and lag the thing in.

In the end I may have no choice but to deal with Lowes or Home Depot. There is a Quincy dealer local that I can call but chances are I'll be looking at retail pricing.

Settling for a cheaper built compressor just for the convenience of moving it may not be such a good idea, remember with the China specials you will be having to move it again before too long! Seriously there is a major difference in both performance and reliability in the cheap compressors you mentioned and the better built outfits. That HF/Belaire can be bought for about the same price as the Husky but there is no comparison in quality, far better to just hire some help than to compromise on quality!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2011, 08:11 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
Settling for a cheaper built compressor just for the convenience of moving it may not be such a good idea, remember with the China specials you will be having to move it again before too long! Seriously there is a major difference in both performance and reliability in the cheap compressors you mentioned and the better built outfits. That HF/Belaire can be bought for about the same price as the Husky but there is no comparison in quality, far better to just hire some help than to compromise on quality!
Good advice. I'm calling that local shop Monday that sells Quincy. They might have the Belaire or perhaps I can talk them into a setup coordinated from a HF drop off as a service charge. I'll ask if they can service that Italian pump on the US General as well.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:53 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Good advice. I'm calling that local shop Monday that sells Quincy. They might have the Belaire or perhaps I can talk them into a setup coordinated from a HF drop off as a service charge. I'll ask if they can service that Italian pump on the US General as well.
No no, the Belaire is the same as the HF unit, but it's about $500 more. That's what we are getting at.

I don't understand why you can't do what I did and just pull the pump and the motor off and take all 3 seperately, laying the tank on it's side if need be. Hell, maybe someone in your area from this board could help you!

For what it's worth I also phoned the manager of the HF and had them order in a brand new one on a pallet I could buy so I knew mine hadn't been tinkered with by HF's best.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:23 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for all the info on several different threads. I am new to the forum but, looking for a compressor for my garage. I was headed down the Husky path or the cobalt path until this thread. I go to the HF website and cant find the compressor you are talking about being the better of the choices. Which one is it.?

I would like a large tank 80 is good for a start but, need the fill to be quick and fuse size is a concern. can I add another reserve tank later.?

I have a 125 sub-panel in the garage soon to be going to 200. My wife has 3 kilns one 50 amp one 60 amp and one 20 amp one. So she is at 130 amps if she has a large order to fill. But, she cooks at night so my stuff is during the day and I need to take it too 200 anyway. Just need to figure out how to take the house to 320.

So tell me wizards what compressor is the best and will last the longest. I want to will this thing to my kids.

Is it this one or is there one larger I am missing ?

5 HP, 60 Gallon, 165 PSI Two Stage Air Compressor
Item # 93274 Manufacturer: U.S. General Air Superiority
Old 04-11-2011, 08:44 AM

Last photo:

So on my first call today I found someone who will install and service this for around 2K.
The motor is "US Motor" and it is a 2 stage, running at 700 RPM with an 80 gallon tank:
Campbell Hausfeld Two-Stage Air Compressor - 5 HP, 16.6 CFM @ 175 PSI, 230 Volt Single Phase, Model# CE7050

http://ce7050-air-compressor.info/

For my second call I found a Quincy, a bit less money (~200) with a 1399 RPM motor and 16.2 CFM at 175 but only a 60 gallon tank:
Quincy Compressor Model QT54-5-60V Reciprocating Air Compressor rated at 16.2 ACFM at 175 PSIG

http://www.compressorworld.com/quinc...at175psig.aspx

Let me know your thoughts.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:45 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
So on my first call today I found someone who will install and service this for around 2K.
Wow 2k. Wish I was closer I would do it for allot less. That must be the 220 drop and bolting it down and plumbing it. Geez good help sure costs nowadays.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:01 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastsidebuzz
Wow 2k. Wish I was closer I would do it for allot less. That must be the 220 drop and bolting it down and plumbing it. Geez good help sure costs nowadays.
They are discounting the unit but it is still $1895 (no sales tax, from NH...). Delivery is only 50 and they charge labor by the hour.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:08 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
They are discounting the unit but it is still $1895 (no sales tax, from NH...). Delivery is only 50 and they charge labor by the hour.
So I guess we are not talking the HF one. http://www.harborfreight.com/5-hp-60...sor-93274.html I thought that was the one they were talking about in the thread earlier.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:22 AM

Last photo:

If you get lift gate drop off, the compressor will be on a pallet. Rent or borrow ( buy one from harbor freight and return whe done) a pallet jack and put it in your garage. Mines been on the original pallet for 15 years.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:23 AM

Last photo:

It's the one we were talking about.. I'm not sure if it's willable, but it's a good deal!
Old 04-11-2011, 10:31 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyK81
It's the one we were talking about.. I'm not sure if it's willable, but it's a good deal!
So why is he looking at spending 2k when he can spend 8 hundred?

There is one open in MA and one coming soon. 9 within 100 miles, 16 within 200. I think you have states really close to each other back there so a short drive over the boarder in a buddy's truck could get one also. http://www.harborfreight.com/store-finder/

DANVERS MA #345 (14.3 mi)
4 NEWBURY STREET
DANVERS, MA 01923
(Now Open!)
NATICK MA #342 (16.7 mi)
321 SPEEN STREET, STE 3A
NATICK, MA 01760
(Coming soon!)

It is just me but, I am driving 3 hours to Oregon because it saves on sales tax to get one and there is an HF within 15 minutes of me. I hate giving sales tax to my Governor but, that is a whole other conversation.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:39 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
16.2 CFM at 175 but only a 60 gallon tank:[

For the ten thousandth time-- THE SIZE OF THE DAMNED TANK IS NOT IMPORTANT!!!!!

Both you guys need to forget about the tank size NEVER,EVER select a lesser compressor because it has a bigger stinkin tank! You will see ZERO difference in performance between a 60 gallon tank and an 80 gallon, it WILL NOT keep up with your tools any better because of the bigger tank-that is not the purpose of the tank! That bigger tank has to do with duty cycle and will make a small difference in wear and tear over a long period vs the 60 gallon tank and also make a small difference in power consumption over a long period, both due to fewer, but longer, high load start-up cycles. This effect is negligible for a home shop that does not run the compressor full time 8 to 10 hours a day 5 or 6 days a week. For the power and CFM range that we are talking here the 60 gallon is in all likelihood the better choice anyway that's why it was chosen for the Quincy. On the cheaper compressors like the CH and Husky the 80 gallon tank is chosen for one reason, they know that most guys will run straight to the biggest tank in the store!

I am not saying a big tank is bad, although on a lower CFM compressor it can be, basing the selection on tank size is a huge mistake, A BIGGER TANK DOES NOT MAKE A BIGGER COMPRESSOR!!!

Fellows buy those compressors based CFM rating and quality and forget about the size of the tank!!

CFM is what runs your tools NOT the tank! This has been discussed to death and explained time and again so do a search and make the right decision before spending your money.

Last edited by oldred; 04-11-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:21 AM

Last photo:

Below is a list I threw together. And yes his two 2k units are nice at 17cfm but, it is double the price. So I could buy 2 of the HF ones. Maybe I could put them in tandem and get 32.6 cfm.? for only $1,600.

5 HP, 60 Gallon, 165 PSI Two Stage Air Compressor
Item # 93274 Manufacturer: U.S. General Air Superiority
Air delivery: 13.5 CFM @ 165 PSI, 15.8 CFM @ 90 PSI, Only: $799.99

Campbell Hausfeld Two-Stage Air Compressor - 5 HP, 90 PSI: 17.2, 16.6 CFM @ 175 PSI,
Model# CE7050 Only: $1999.99

Quincy Compressor Model QT54-5-60V Reciprocating Air Compressor
rated at 16.2 ACFM at 175 PSIG Our Price: $1,650.00

Husky 5 HP 80 Gal. 2 Stage Air Compressor Delivers 12.6 SCFM at 90 PSI $1,079.00

Kobalt 80-Gallon Hi-Flo Single Stage Air Compressor 14.0 SCFM @ 90 PSI $828.59

Kobalt 80-Gallon Two Stage Cast Iron Industrial Air Compressor
17.5 SCFM @ 100 PSI, 15.8 SCFM @ 175 PSI, $1,198.00
Old 04-11-2011, 11:37 AM

Last photo:

Now if you really want the Cadillac of compressors. This one is sweet at 22.6 at 175. So they must be close to 30 at 90. Shipping is probably a couple hundred. Might be overkill for me. Unless I make some extra at the craps table and splurge.

Quincy Compressor Model QT7.5-7.5-80V Reciprocating Air Compressor rated at 22.6 ACFM at 175 PSIG
MSRP: $3,001.00
Price: $1,871.00

Quincy Compressor Model QT7.5-7.5-80V Simplex Reciprocating Air Compressor rated at 22.6 ACFM at 175 PSIG. The Tank Mount Unit is built on a 80 gallon tank and powered by a 7.5 hp, 230/1/60 or 208/230/460, ODP, efficiency motor, the operating at 1026 rpm http://www.quincypistonaircompressor...mpressors.aspx
Old 04-11-2011, 11:50 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
And yes his two 2k units are nice at 17cfm but, it is double the price. So I could buy 2 of the HF ones. Maybe I could put them in tandem and get 32.6 cfm.? for only $1,600.

Yes you could buy two of the cheaper units but that is comparing Apples to Oranges. The HF compressor is a good home shop unit and the Husky/Kobalt/CH are marginal from a quality standpoint but the Quincy is a true industrial unit that will outlast all the others by a wide margin. While that kind of quality may not be necessary for a home shop if you need a heavy duty air supply for a full time shop then yes the price of the Quincy is well worth it and in that situation would easily be worth more than two of the China specials! Comparing a Quincy to a Kobalt/Husky/CH is like comparing a Harbor Freight socket set to a Snap-On set!

Quote:
I would like a large tank 80 is good for a start but, need the fill to be quick and fuse size is a concern. can I add another reserve tank later.?
The 80 gallon tank would be good on a compressor of 20 CFM or so and between about 16 and 20 CFM it would just be a toss-up between it and a 60 gallon, less than 15 CFM and a 60 gallon would be a better choice. Adding another reserve tank to an 80 gallon tank on a compressor the size we are talking about here would be a terrible idea, what it would get you is an overheated pump due to the extended recharge cycles and due to the loss of efficiency from the heat it would actually degrade the performance (and shorten pump life) instead of increasing it. Why would you do this? Think about it, any increase in run time is going to be hardly noticeable and even then ALL of it will be lost to the proportionally longer recharge time so you gain exactly nothing! Well you do gain an overheated pump like was already mentioned.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.