Compressor Confusion - Page 6 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2011, 10:56 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Well like Johnny said the starter takes the load off the pressure switch, the caps are not the problem and will never know the difference. As long as the pressure switch can safely carry the current then all is fine but if it can't then the problem almost always shows up as contacts in the pressure switch welded shut. This is not likely to be a problem with that compressor, if it is rated as being capable of running directly from the pressure switch then don't worry about it. I use a Mag starter simply as added insurance but then I had a couple of the darn things just gathering dust anyway, if I had not had them I too would have just used the pressure switch. Over the long run, and I am talking years here, the mag starter will probably prolong the life of the contacts in the pressure switch but for the kind of current draw we are talking here, well like the others said what's the point.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2011, 03:22 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Oldred..

Single phase, 3 phase? What are you guys talking about, in regards to a magnet starter? Misinformation is flying again!
Old 04-26-2011, 03:53 PM

Last photo:

It really doesn't make much difference since it is the load vs the switch capability that determines whether a mag starter is required or not. If upon start-up the current draw exceeds the limits of the pressure switch the contacts could be burned so if that is the case a mag starter is required with either 3 phase or single phase power. With the mag starter the motor power would then be provided by the much heavier current rating of it ( the mag starter) and the pressure switch would then only carry the lighter load of the starter and none of the much heavier load to the motor. So it is a matter of load and the principle would be the same with either 3 phase power or single phase, just wired differently.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:33 PM

Last photo:

Yeah, it's a relay. But I'm not sure if the others know what it is, which bothers me when people google for help with something and wrong information comes up.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:39 PM

Last photo:

For sure, the motor won't know the difference if the power is coming from the pressure switch or the mag starter unless the pressure switch burns out from over-load if the starter is not used. Not a likely scenario in this case however.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:01 PM

Last photo:

Well I went a different direction but at least it is done.

New addition to the garage arrived today. Its old but it can easily keep up with continuous DA, I was able to witness that. Cycles around 100 PSI up to 135PSI and does it pretty quick with DA going, maybe 30 seconds tops? I'm going to guess based on the motor its around ~12CFM? Should be enough for painting with some guns. Die grinding it could not keep up with for long. Ran for ~3 min grinding metal before slipping below 90PSI with the motor trying to keep up forcing a pause.

Old 04-30-2011, 03:24 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002
I'm going to guess based on the motor its around ~12CFM?

With that two stage pump and the fact it is a real 3 HP I would think it would do better than 12 CFM and if it can keep up with a DA that pretty much confirms it.

BTW those GE motors are good ones and that power rating is conservative instead of stretched to the max like most of the new ones, 16.6 AMPS (plus a 1.15 service factor) for 3 HP as opposed to 15 AMPs for up to 6 1/2 HP (yeah right! ) and in some cases even 7 HP when they used that stupid "peak" HP rating. Even now after they had to back-step on the "peak" rating some 15 AMP motors are still rated at 3 1/2 HP and at that will overheat when pressed hard.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:36 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Oldred! I think it was a good buy if it holds up, $550 delivered. As far as CFM's I sure hope so. I didn't as what the "tank assisted" CFM was
Old 04-30-2011, 04:29 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I didn't ask what the "tank assisted" CFM was

That's easy to figure out, it's BS!
Old 05-06-2011, 04:22 PM

Last photo:

Its Alive! I have to say though, I really hate working with these crude metal screw in fittings, particularly the union. It is leaking and I've reinstalled it more times than I care to admit. I might just swap the union for a threaded sharkbite fitting. The temporary Sharkbite plug I have at the outlet is leak free and takes seconds to attach and remove. Seriously...

I can't even imagine doing this whole system in black pipe. I had ONE solder leak in the whole pipe system which I fixed in minutes. Now that is total amateur hour, first time soldering and there are about 40 soldered connections! After fixing the one leak I now just have the annoying, minor leak in the stupid union, which is after the tank ball valve so its nothing.

Oh and I started rigging some shop lights, tilted towards the work area. Am I ever going to finish this garage project so I can work on a..... CAR?!?!?! There's a thought!

Old 05-06-2011, 04:32 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I have to say though, I really hate working with these crude metal screw in fittings, particularly the union. It is leaking and I've reinstalled it more times than I care to admit.

Let me guess, they are "Made in China" right?

It's getting really hard to find decent pipe fittings anymore but if you need only a few and are willing to pay more for them then go to a hydraulics shop and get hydraulic pipe fittings. They cost about four times as much but go together smoothly, they are made of steel instead of cast unknownium and they don't leak!

Also you might try a real plumbing supply outfit and ask for American made iron fittings, some places still have them.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
That's easy to figure out, it's BS!

Oldred.....I have a pressing question..

I am looking at a couple compressors and I am totally ready to get the HF model but I need to compare it to another... Please help me decide between the two..I like the features of the Industrial air but the HF is so cost effective.

this
http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...sor-93274.html

or this

its made by sanborn and I have heard good stuff about older sanborn compressors but not much on newer model sanborn stuff...I am pretty sure it is American made.

http://www.farmandfleet.com/products...ors%2f%3fp%3d1

I need to buy a compressor to replace my Portercable one that popped a pinhole while I was deployed to Afghanistan....I have been home for a week and need to buy ASAP so I can get to my projects....

Thanks in advance
Old 05-06-2011, 05:31 PM

Last photo:

Wow man that's a tough one. I am several years behind now since I retired and have lost track of who is still American and who is just importing now so I can't give you a qualified answer on that IndustrialAir outfit, two things stand out to me however-they don,t say it is American made (but then neither does the US General and it is) and they do not list the CFM rating for whatever reason just "Maximum" CFM @175 PSI plus no HP rating specs which is puzzling to me. The US General at that price is a real bargain and well worth the cost. Personally before I would buy the IndustrialAir unit, and I am not suggesting not to buy it, I would have to have several questions answered

What is the SCFM@90 PSI (or maybe 100PSI)

Where is it built, is the pump Chinese?

Where is the motor built and what brand is it?

What is the AMP rating on the motor

These are all important considerations and for whatever reason they are extremely vague about this information, most of the features they do list is simply standard fare on most any compressor of that class.

Wish I could be more help but I am not familiar enough with the IndustrialAir outfit and they just don't give enough info to work with.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
Wow man that's a tough one. I am several years behind now since I retired and have lost track of who is still American and who is just importing now so I can't give you a qualified answer on that IndustrialAir outfit, two things stand out to me however-they don,t say it is American made (but then neither does the US General and it is) and they do not list the CFM rating for whatever reason just "Maximum" CFM @175 PSI plus no HP rating specs which is puzzling to me. The US General at that price is a real bargain and well worth the cost. Personally before I would buy the IndustrialAir unit, and I am not suggesting not to buy it, I would have to have several questions answered

What is the SCFM@90 PSI (or maybe 100PSI)

Where is it built, is the pump Chinese?

Where is the motor built and what brand is it?

What is the AMP rating on the motor

These are all important considerations and for whatever reason they are extremely vague about this information, most of the features they do list is simply standard fare on most any compressor of that class.

Wish I could be more help but I am not familiar enough with the IndustrialAir outfit and they just don't give enough info to work with.

Try this link....
http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/...sor/p3706.html

all the specs seem great!

More info about this company
http://www.air-compressor-pump.net/s...ir-compressor/

Last edited by ndm; 05-06-2011 at 09:13 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:10 PM

Last photo:

Odd, I went to Compressors Direct and could not find that thing but there it is big as life!

Well the specs do indeed look good and simply put it is a bigger compressor than the US General, quite a bit bigger in fact, and for very little more money.

An interesting note at that site is that down in the lower left right next to the picture of "Steve and his recommended alternatives" is the Belaire version of the US General, same compressor but a different name and price. Also to the right is the best one of all the Quincy 5 HP but at a much higher price than what you are looking at for the two you are choosing from. I am surprised that Compressors Direct is so much higher on that Industrial air outfit, but for the price you have found it for and considering the air flow and other specs it may be the better buy because that sure is a lot of performance for the price.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.