Compressor Confusion - Page 7 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2011, 09:17 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
Odd, I went to Compressors Direct and could not find that thing but there it is big as life!

Well the specs do indeed look good and simply put it is a bigger compressor than the US General, quite a bit bigger in fact, and for very little more money.

An interesting note at that site is that down in the lower left right next to the picture of "Steve and his recommended alternatives" is the Belaire version of the US General, same compressor but a different name and price. Also to the right is the best one of all the Quincy 5 HP but at a much higher price than what you are looking at for the two you are choosing from. I am surprised that Compressors Direct is so much higher on that Industrial air outfit, but for the price you have found it for and considering the air flow and other specs it may be the better buy because that sure is a lot of performance for the price.
Thanks a bunch...I think I will go ahead and pick up the Industrial....I mean...its not that much more and the only real problem is how the heck to get it in my van and into its home...But I am still considering the HF/Belaire simply due to the great price

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2011, 11:08 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002

Its Alive! I have to say though, I really hate working with these crude metal screw in fittings, particularly the union.
If you're talking about the unions we suggested, I see you're using teflon tape, which should not be used.

That is not how the unions seal. It's not like a tapered thread which does the sealing. These have soft mating surfaces. Perhaps it leaked in the first place which is why you tried the teflon, but if you tried it right from the get go, that might be the problem.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:58 AM

Last photo:

I had missed that Teflon tape or I would have warned against it. Not only does it not work well for sealing but if you intend to paint with that compressor it can be a disaster! Some guys have used it with no problems (yet) but that stuff can cause "fish-eye" in paint and has been the cause of many painting problems that could not be identified as to the cause, Teflon and Silicone are two substances you want to avoid like a plague around fresh paint! What I use is Permatex non-hardening gasket sealer (the nasty brown stuff NOT Silicone) and as much trouble as it may be that Teflon should be removed if that air supply is to be used for spraying paint,
Old 05-07-2011, 07:00 AM

Last photo:

OK didn't know that, thanks for the tip. I'll look into this Permatex stuff.

EDIT:
Looks like they have a lot of gasket products. Any thoughts on which one?

Last edited by ToddMcF2002; 05-07-2011 at 07:22 AM.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:36 AM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

where is the union leaking at?
the middle collar that hooks the two halves together, or at the ends that hook union to the rest of the system?

if its leaking in the middle and you have sealer on it, remove it (the sealer)
and try it again
if you put it together dry and its leaking, just take it back and get another one
Old 05-07-2011, 07:42 AM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002
OK didn't know that, thanks for the tip. I'll look into this Permatex stuff.

EDIT:
Looks like they have a lot of gasket products. Any thoughts on which one?
I think he is talking about this stuff it works good
Old 05-07-2011, 08:42 AM

Last photo:

Aww ****.. I used teflon tape on the threads of the pipe threads.. Hope I don't have paint problems!!
Old 05-07-2011, 10:05 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts37chev
I think he is talking about this stuff it works good

That works great but the no. 2 is usually a bit easier to find, either works equally well, actually either should be available at AutoZone, Advance Auto, Etc.

http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut..._2_Sealant.htm
Old 05-07-2011, 10:15 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyK81
Aww ****.. I used teflon tape on the threads of the pipe threads.. Hope I don't have paint problems!!

That's bad! Believe it or not particles of that stuff (or maybe it's gasses? ) that are small enough to pass through a filter can wreak havoc with paint. Considering the cost of paint and the tremendous amount of work when fish-eye occurs removing that stuff is a good idea. There are a lot of guys who have used it that would swear it has not hurt anything and then there are guys who are swearing because they did use it! I personally have seen it cause problems and I have read of others having problems because of it so there is an element of risk involved, from what I know about it and have seen myself I would not chance it for painting..
Old 05-08-2011, 11:12 AM

Last photo:

Not sure if it's possible without a lot of de-soldering.

Now would the problems show up in the epoxy as well, because if so, I think I'm in the clear.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:20 AM

Last photo:

Problems would show on Epoxy just like any other paint but the problem is you never know when it will decide to get you! I would suggest you at least use a secondary filter at the gun and as time goes by the chances of problems will decrease, or at lest they should.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:34 PM

Last photo:

Sanity check please!

I'm about to order my filter/regulator, couplers and hose.
My plan is to come out of the 1/2 NPT filter / regulator to 2 outlets with 3/8" male NPT at the end of the hardlines. One for paint, one for tools.

FILTER/REGULATOR:
Milton filter/regulator $89 1/2 NPT:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...ct_41031_41031

HOSES: (2) 3/8 NPT 3/8 hoses, 50 feet each:
This will require my hardpipe to reduce from 1/2 to 3/8 at the outlets...
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/SPE...T72?Pid=search

FEMALE COUPLER, HOSE END: Milton "V" 3/8 FNPT couplers (2) for the tool end of the hose:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...9829_200319829

MALE COUPLER, TOOL END: Milton "V" 1/4 MNPT couplers (4) for the tools themselves
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...9829_200319829

NPT thoughts....
I guess my assumption is that all tools / paint guns are 1/4 NPT female? Does it really matter whether the NPT sizes on the hoses are 1/4 or 3/8? Isnt the inside diameter the same regardless of the NPT? It sure looks like it from the pics....

If that is true I'll just get 1/4 NPT couplers and hoses with 1/4 NPT, they are far more readily available. That will make my hardpipe reduction to 1/4 female easier to spec out since those sizes are easier to find.

Thanks for any help!
Old 05-09-2011, 08:46 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndm
Thanks a bunch...I think I will go ahead and pick up the Industrial....I mean...its not that much more and the only real problem is how the heck to get it in my van and into its home...But I am still considering the HF/Belaire simply due to the great price
Please keep in mind, that purchasing a 5HP compressor anymore, is actually more like a 3HP. Check the actual specs on the electric motor and the Head unit on the compressor. I have a Speedaire "which is actually a Campbell Hausfeld industrial brand, and the motor even states 5hp right on it, but the specs are actually only 3hp. This is a major problem in the compressor industry and for some reason nobody seems to care enough to prevent companies from doing this.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:13 PM

Last photo:

I don't see how the NPT on the hoses or fittings matters. Its the same internal diameter bottleneck correct?

1/4 NPT Milton V-Style

3/8 NPT Milton V-Style
Old 05-10-2011, 05:15 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodin1
Please keep in mind, that purchasing a 5HP compressor anymore, is actually more like a 3HP. Check the actual specs on the electric motor and the Head unit on the compressor. I have a Speedaire "which is actually a Campbell Hausfeld industrial brand, and the motor even states 5hp right on it, but the specs are actually only 3hp. This is a major problem in the compressor industry and for some reason nobody seems to care enough to prevent companies from doing this.

You are referring to those ridiculous "Peak" HP ratings which has been discussed many times here in the past but fortunately it is not used much anymore. We have pointed out many times here that the AMP rating is the most important thing to look for because HP ratings don't mean much on motors anymore but as I already mentioned it is not near as bad as it once was.

Also about nobody caring enough to do anything about it, there was a class action lawsuit that did indeed clamp down on those outfits but in that case it only covered the 110 volt compressors. They had to back down on the ridiculous HP claims for 220 volt models not long after due to the threat of another class action lawsuit so someone does care enough and they are doing something about it..

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.