Compressor Confusion - Page 8 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2011, 05:59 AM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002
I don't see how the NPT on the hoses or fittings matters. Its the same internal diameter bottleneck correct?

1/4 NPT Milton V-Style

3/8 NPT Milton V-Style
correct

instead of buying 2 of those hoses, you might consider getting one or two of these HF 50' hose reels i have a couple (1-25' & 1-50') and they seem pretty darn good
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0114111316.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	249.9 KB
ID:	55163  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2011, 03:20 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the tip - I'm on it! I bought a few 1/2 to 3/8 threaded female plumbing adapters today so I can connect to those reels. The HF units are 3/8 NPT.

Also... I redid the compressor hookup, dumping all the crappy iron and going brass and copper. Instead of the union I'm using a sharkbite. Those things are just great!

Oldred that Permatex stuff is naaaaasty. I've got it all over my hands and I can't get it off!

Old 05-10-2011, 04:09 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002
Oldred that Permatex stuff is naaaaasty. I've got it all over my hands and I can't get it off!

Rubbing Alcohol works pretty good for removing it from skin. Now you know why I described it as "That nasty brown stuff"!
Old 05-10-2011, 10:48 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Oldred. I must say I was skeptical that the goop would be effective but I haven't lost a single PSI in the last 8 hours, which I certainly cannot say for the Teflon tape. Great tip!
Old 05-11-2011, 09:17 PM

Last photo:

I dunno, I haven't lost a single PSI in a week, and I'm only using teflon tape, and nothing on the unions..

That being said, you're REALLY overthinking this. You're just using this in your garage, right? Not going to 25 different workstations?
Old 05-12-2011, 05:20 AM

Last photo:

Maybe I'm over thinking it, but its a hobby and I want it done right. I realize most are using unions but it wasn't working for me somehow (even without teflon) I also don't want to waste expensive paint. Anyway, after 8 hours of back to back meetings I'm only too happy to break out the propane and start soldering - even if it wasn't really necessary.

I know I ask a lot of questions but I have no experience or local support so everything is a question.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:10 AM

Last photo:

Oh I'm not downplaying you, just making a joke! If I could do it again, I'd change a few things.

I'd still use 1/2" copper, with my unions, but I would not have a regulator and air filter on the main line halfway around the garage (Wonder if it's choking anything).. I also can't remember if it's a 1/4" or a 3/8" or a 1/2" regulator and filter.

But it had to be done to drop the pressure from 165 to 140 so my other regulators didn't explode.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:08 PM

Last photo:

165... I can only dream! I've got a ton of stuff coming from Northern Tool, I'm FINALLY ready to start buying tools
Old 05-31-2011, 12:57 AM

Last photo:

I got so exited to goto HF and finally get that compressor. I had my memorial 1 day only special 25% off coupon in hand and figured I could get that 824 compressor for 600. Got up at 8 am and drove to HF. Ewed and ahhd at it and told the guy I wanted it and he asked if I had a truck and I said yes. He asked if it had a topper on it I said no and he said good. Then went to the register to buy it and then they pointed out that the coupon does not work on compressors.

That sucked the life out of the day. So now back to the OR plan. Buying it in Oregon tax free that saves me 10%. So need to find one of the 10-15% coupons to see if they discount it. Bought a reel and some hoses so I save 20 bucks. Darn that fine print.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:48 AM

Last photo:

Yeah that sucks, there was a thread about that here recently and those % off coupons we got so excited about a year or so ago just aren't worth much anymore. Last year you could still buy compressors and other high end items with the coupon and get a really good deal such as the nearly $650 I saved on a lathe I bought but unfortunately the rascals have taken the fun out of those coupons!
Old 05-31-2011, 04:19 PM

Last photo:

I have been buying straps, drill parts, air hoses, fittings, magnet to pick up nails in the driveway etc lately. I got a great Metal Band saw that I use the crap out of. It is great. Breaks a belt every week or so. I use it probably an hour or two a day strait cutting angle iron for me into 1/2 inch clips that I use in my bee hives.

Wish I could get the big compressor at a discount.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:01 AM

Last photo:

Well I might have scored but, I need your advice. I was talking to a friend and I said I am saving for the HF compressor. He said your looking for a compressor I got one for ya. So he showed me this one and said couple hundred and it is yours. I need your advice on weather this is worth it.? I think for a couple hundred it must be a good deal. The compressor head is made in Brazil. And according to one of the stickers the oil was changed 1/6/94 and again in 7/15/94 so they took good care of it. I do not think it has been used much since.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Polination_2670.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	502.5 KB
ID:	56019   Click image for larger version

Name:	Polination_2676A.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	259.6 KB
ID:	56020  
Attached Images

Last edited by eastsidebuzz; 06-13-2011 at 01:30 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:27 AM

Last photo:

Tank rust!

That thing is very old and appears to have been home assembled from a collection of parts plus the tank, from what I can see in the pics, has too much rust on the outside so what does the inside look like? Of course you can't see that but but you can see things like the missing belt guard and oil all over the tank under the pump, IMHO you really should pass on that one.

One plus is that old GE motor if it is in decent shape, those old beasts just seem to run forever!
Old 06-13-2011, 08:45 AM

Last photo:

So lets say I give him 50 bucks for it. Can I get the tank hydro'd.? change the seals and it could work. No?
Old 06-13-2011, 09:04 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastsidebuzz
So lets say I give him 50 bucks for it. Can I get the tank hydro'd.? change the seals and it could work. No?

Yes but honestly old compressors, especially the home assembled variety can be a real PITA to maintain. In addition you don't know how well the parts match, did they actually match the components as to proper RPM, HP vs pump, etc or did they just use what they had and hoped for the best? How fast is the pump turning and what is it designed to turn? More importantly is the pressure switch matched to the AMP load and is the pop-off safety valve in place and is it the right one? An example of a common problem is the switch being underrated for the AMP load causing the points to stick shut and preventing the compressor from shutting off when it is supposed to, it may run for a long time before that happens but if it does it can get exciting in a hurry! That problem in conjunction with the wrong (or no) safety valve could be deadly! Has someone tampered with the switch pressure settings in an attempt to correct performance problems, this is an extremely common problem with home assembled compressors. Of course none of these things might be wrong, or any of them, that is just some of the more common problems I have seen with home assembled compressors but unfortunately the list of all the things that can be wrong is a long one. Just a few things to consider.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.