Hot Rod Forum banner

Compressor Confusion

69K views 164 replies 22 participants last post by  eastsidebuzz 
#1 ·
Hi folks, sorry for another compressor thread, its a confusing topic. I've been researching and visiting shops looking at 60-80 gallon models today.

I'm picking up a 240z project soon and I'll eventually be doing DA and HVLP. As far as compressors, I've come to the conclusion that I just need a recommendation. I get that the amps are critical for power ratings, and the tank size in relation to HP is about duty cycle. The CFM's are the critical piece. That being said, I'm also concerned about local delivery and service, so I'm finding myself tempted to restrict myself to three local brands:

Ingersoll Rand - namely the SS5L5 rated at an "optimistic" 18CFM@90 and 22.5 AMPS. There is a service center in Boston.

Campbell Hausfeld - namely the 80 gallon with 5HP claiming ??? CFM (19.5 amps) Lowes obviously. Great warranty.

Husky namely the 2 stage 80 gallon with 5HP claiming 12.6 SCFM (22 amps) Great warranty.

So... the CH has mystery meat CFM, that's bad. The IR couldn't possibly be putting out 18 CFM@90 so you can't trust the number. Might as well call the IR rating unpublished as well. The Husky sounds tempting as a 2 stage but... its a Husky. But the Husky is also a CH isn't it? Maybe I need to research what the pump is?

Anyway... I do want to paint a car and DA, so I need something that can handle it. I'm "trying" to say below $1500, but saving a few hundred isn't that critical. I just want to buy ONCE and not overpay if that's possible.

So please... looking for recommendations here. As far as HVLP I'm thinking DeVilbiss Finishline "rated for 23 psi air inlet pressure and 11.4 CFM to produce 10 psi at the tip." DA I'm slightly less concerned about, since I'll be going in bursts and there is no paint drying if I have to pause...

Thanks for any advice about my selections.

See less See more
#27 · (Edited)
ToddMcF2002 said:
16.2 CFM at 175 but only a 60 gallon tank:[

For the ten thousandth time-- THE SIZE OF THE DAMNED TANK IS NOT IMPORTANT!!!!!

Both you guys need to forget about the tank size NEVER,EVER select a lesser compressor because it has a bigger stinkin tank! You will see ZERO difference in performance between a 60 gallon tank and an 80 gallon, it WILL NOT keep up with your tools any better because of the bigger tank-that is not the purpose of the tank! That bigger tank has to do with duty cycle and will make a small difference in wear and tear over a long period vs the 60 gallon tank and also make a small difference in power consumption over a long period, both due to fewer, but longer, high load start-up cycles. This effect is negligible for a home shop that does not run the compressor full time 8 to 10 hours a day 5 or 6 days a week. For the power and CFM range that we are talking here the 60 gallon is in all likelihood the better choice anyway that's why it was chosen for the Quincy. On the cheaper compressors like the CH and Husky the 80 gallon tank is chosen for one reason, they know that most guys will run straight to the biggest tank in the store! :rolleyes:

I am not saying a big tank is bad, although on a lower CFM compressor it can be, basing the selection on tank size is a huge mistake, A BIGGER TANK DOES NOT MAKE A BIGGER COMPRESSOR!!!

Fellows buy those compressors based CFM rating and quality and forget about the size of the tank!!

CFM is what runs your tools NOT the tank! This has been discussed to death and explained time and again so do a search and make the right decision before spending your money.

#28 ·
Below is a list I threw together. And yes his two 2k units are nice at 17cfm but, it is double the price. So I could buy 2 of the HF ones. Maybe I could put them in tandem and get 32.6 cfm.? for only $1,600.

5 HP, 60 Gallon, 165 PSI Two Stage Air Compressor
Item # 93274 Manufacturer: U.S. General Air Superiority
Air delivery: 13.5 CFM @ 165 PSI, 15.8 CFM @ 90 PSI, Only: $799.99

Campbell Hausfeld Two-Stage Air Compressor - 5 HP, 90 PSI: 17.2, 16.6 CFM @ 175 PSI,
Model# CE7050 Only: $1999.99

Quincy Compressor Model QT54-5-60V Reciprocating Air Compressor
rated at 16.2 ACFM at 175 PSIG Our Price: $1,650.00

Husky 5 HP 80 Gal. 2 Stage Air Compressor Delivers 12.6 SCFM at 90 PSI $1,079.00

Kobalt 80-Gallon Hi-Flo Single Stage Air Compressor 14.0 SCFM @ 90 PSI $828.59

Kobalt 80-Gallon Two Stage Cast Iron Industrial Air Compressor
17.5 SCFM @ 100 PSI, 15.8 SCFM @ 175 PSI, $1,198.00

#29 ·
Now if you really want the Cadillac of compressors. This one is sweet at 22.6 at 175. So they must be close to 30 at 90. Shipping is probably a couple hundred. Might be overkill for me. Unless I make some extra at the craps table and splurge.

Quincy Compressor Model QT7.5-7.5-80V Reciprocating Air Compressor rated at 22.6 ACFM at 175 PSIG
MSRP: $3,001.00
Price: $1,871.00

Quincy Compressor Model QT7.5-7.5-80V Simplex Reciprocating Air Compressor rated at 22.6 ACFM at 175 PSIG. The Tank Mount Unit is built on a 80 gallon tank and powered by a 7.5 hp, 230/1/60 or 208/230/460, ODP, efficiency motor, the operating at 1026 rpm http://www.quincypistonaircompressors.com/tankmountedaircompressors.aspx

#30 ·
eastsidebuzz said:
And yes his two 2k units are nice at 17cfm but, it is double the price. So I could buy 2 of the HF ones. Maybe I could put them in tandem and get 32.6 cfm.? for only $1,600.

Yes you could buy two of the cheaper units but that is comparing Apples to Oranges. The HF compressor is a good home shop unit and the Husky/Kobalt/CH are marginal from a quality standpoint but the Quincy is a true industrial unit that will outlast all the others by a wide margin. While that kind of quality may not be necessary for a home shop if you need a heavy duty air supply for a full time shop then yes the price of the Quincy is well worth it and in that situation would easily be worth more than two of the China specials! Comparing a Quincy to a Kobalt/Husky/CH is like comparing a Harbor Freight socket set to a Snap-On set!

eastsidebuzz said:
I would like a large tank 80 is good for a start but, need the fill to be quick and fuse size is a concern. can I add another reserve tank later.?
The 80 gallon tank would be good on a compressor of 20 CFM or so and between about 16 and 20 CFM it would just be a toss-up between it and a 60 gallon, less than 15 CFM and a 60 gallon would be a better choice. Adding another reserve tank to an 80 gallon tank on a compressor the size we are talking about here would be a terrible idea, what it would get you is an overheated pump due to the extended recharge cycles and due to the loss of efficiency from the heat it would actually degrade the performance (and shorten pump life) instead of increasing it. Why would you do this? Think about it, any increase in run time is going to be hardly noticeable and even then ALL of it will be lost to the proportionally longer recharge time so you gain exactly nothing! Well you do gain an overheated pump like was already mentioned.

#31 · (Edited)
oldred said:
Yes you could buy two of the cheaper units but that is comparing Apples to Oranges. The HF compressor is a good home shop unit and the Husky/Kobalt/CH are marginal from a quality standpoint but the Quincy is a true industrial unit that will outlast all the others by a wide margin.

The 80 gallon tank would be good on a compressor of 20 CFM or so and between about 16 and 20 CFM it would just be a toss-up between it and a 60 gallon, less than 15 CFM and a 60 gallon would be a better choice.
Oldred, You are a great teacher. I learned allot in the last 24 hours from you. Thank you.

Now I need to re-think if I need the extra for the extra money. China=bad US=good. So need think budget more.

#32 ·
I am looking at the Harbor Freight unit as well. I'm talking to a mover about picking it up since HF offers no services. They were pretty clear that if anything goes wrong I have to bring it back to the store. That's a pretty big issue for me, not sure it is something I want to deal with...

#33 ·
Oldred,

I am thinking of the Quincy 60 gallon 5hp 1310 RPM 15.2 ($1,399) or the 80 Gallon 5hp 942 RPM 17.2 machine ($1,999). Which one is better for the money and would be better on electric in the long run.

Looking to run some 2 nail guns at the same time. Airsander and nail gun. Not sure what else no more then 2 devices at the same time. The sander is always wiping out the compressors I have now.

#34 ·
Depending on which sander and how much CFM it needs (the manufacturer ratings are usually so absurd they don't mean much) the 15+ CFM might still run out of air after a while but running that Quincy continuously will not hurt it, with an air hungry tool like a sander even the 17+ CFM might not keep up over a long period. With either compressor I doubt you will be disappointed since I am not talking about running low on air after only a minute or so like the cheap compressors that CLAIM similar CFM ratings and the larger one might even out-run the sander, 15+ CFM is not at all bad for a home shop and from the Quincy (unlike the cheapo compressors) you can count on actually getting what it is rated for! The nail gun(s) are going to be a non-issue and if that sander is all you are concerned about then 15+ CFM is probably going to be just fine for you unless you mean you will be running more than one at a time. As far as power consumption I would think the larger outfit would be better in that respect because it has a larger more efficient pump, there is no question that 17+ CFM outfit is the more desirable of the two if the extra cost is not a problem. If just running that one sander and a couple of nail guns is what you will be doing the smaller one should fill the bill nicely unless the sander is going to run a big percentage of the time, one thing is for sure you will never regret having a compressor that is too big but you will always regret having one too small!

#35 ·
oldred said:
one thing is for sure you will never regret having a compressor that is too big but you will always regret having one too small!
So I would think the larger fills quicker then the small. So the power used would be comparable or negligible.? What I don't want to do is buy a v8 when a v6 is less gas mileage. I am assuming that the 5hp is my v6 and it is the same on both compressors just the compressor piece is different and runs at different rpm's.

#36 ·
eastsidebuzz said:
So I would think the larger fills quicker then the small. So the power used would be comparable or negligible.? What I don't want to do is buy a v8 when a v6 is less gas mileage. I am assuming that the 5hp is my v6 and it is the same on both compressors just the compressor piece is different and runs at different rpm's.

Just because a motor has a power rating of 5 HP does not mean it is always making that much power. Basically the rating means it has the potential to make that much power and draw a proportional amount of electricity to the power it actually makes, this is dependent on the load applied. The larger compressor would draw more power while running but that will be partially off-set by the fact the bigger slower turning pump will be more efficient and make more air per watt of power consumed. The power cost differences between these two compressors will be small and any savings would probably be with the bigger one but only over a long period, it actually would be negligible unless you are running a full time multi-duty shop.

#37 ·
I found a local hobbyist who wants to sell me a rebuilt compressor and used air heater for $700.
Its a 3HP motor on my choice of a 60 or an 80 tank. Price includes delivery and placement (with my help of course). The tank is big for the motor but he says he can paint (low CFM) on it and DA.
Prolonged die grinding was the real limitation he's claiming. I'm going to get this wrong name wise, but I think he said the motor was a "Wayne 6200". Thoughts?

#39 ·
ToddMcF2002 said:
I found a local hobbyist who wants to sell me a rebuilt compressor and used [AIR HEATER] for $700.
Its a 3HP motor on my choice of a 60 or an 80 tank. Price includes delivery and placement (with my help of course). The tank is big for the motor but he says he can paint (low CFM) on it and DA.
Prolonged die grinding was the real limitation he's claiming. I'm going to get this wrong name wise, but I think he said the motor was a "Wayne 6200". Thoughts?

Air heater? :confused: Are you sure he didn't mean air cooler?

As far as the tank is concerned that would depend on the CFM but this sounds like a home assembled outfit and I imagine the CFM is unknown. With only 3 HP I seriously doubt the CFM is high enough to warrant the use of an 80 gallon tank and in all likelihood the 60 gallon would be the better choice, in fact I can just about guarantee the 60 gallon would be better suited! The 80 gallon probably will work without any major problems but there certainly would be no advantage to using it unless it is in better condition, I would strongly suggest using the 60 gallon but look them over and take the one that looks to be in the best condition.

BTW, from the description of the set-up that price sounds waaay high to me!

#40 ·
Thanks oldred and yes, air cooler. I need to understand better the end to end system. I thought 30ft of tubing with water traps / filter was enough to cool and filter the air but this guy insisted the little refrigerator cooler along with the filter was a must have.

I did some digging and the Wayne 6200 is 1950-60 vintage. Great for its day apparently and you can still find parts.

As far as price, I am tempted by this purely because of the low overall price commitment for an end to end system (minus piping) and the fact that if any individual component goes I can replace just that. I'm not convinced though and perhaps the price is too high like you say.

#41 ·
Those old compressors can be like old (classic) cars and to some of us they can be a fun hobby but for everyday use by someone not familiar with them they can be a lot of trouble. Something else I should have mentioned earlier is those tanks could be a major headache if they too are that old. You have no way of knowing the condition and having them hydro-pressure tested is a MUST if you want to do this safely! An old tank can be a time bomb and an exploding 60 or 80 gallon tank could easily destroy a garage and do serious personal harm, fortunately most of the time they just spring a leak and catastrophic failure is rare but it DOES happen sometimes! Don't take anyone's word that is a tank is ok unless it has been hydo-tested because no matter what they say they just simply don't know, that old line that the old tanks are better built and will last forever is BS. I strongly suggest thinking this over and consider all the problems you are likely to encounter as an "antique" compressor owner because in all probability you will encounter these problems.

One more note about the tanks, look them over thoroughly and look for repairs of ANY kind especially around factory welds. If there have been any repairs or ANY welding on the tank that was not done at the factory then don't use the tank under any circumstances. A tank that has been welded on for repair or modification is extremely dangerous even if it is just a small weld, if either tank has been "repaired" I strongly suggest not using it. I am not exaggerating the dangers of an exploding tank and I have seen it personally twice, once time was when a 40 gallon tank took off the cab of a DM800 Mack truck and another blew a hole in a garage wall big enough to drive a truck through-trust me on this it does happen!

#42 ·
I have gotten allot of education on compressors the last few days. Glad I found this forum (thanks oldred) and a few others off of posts in this fourm. These are some of the ones I found especially helpful outside of here.

http://www.oldsmobility.com/oldsmo/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5
http://www.tptools.com/StaticText/airline-piping-diagram.pdf
http://www.tptools.com/StaticText/AirConsum.aspx
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=90894

I also went to HF to get a paint shaker (looks cool might mix paint for me). But, I looked at thier compressors again. That whole Chinese junk thing worries me. They have one that looks good but, not sure. $799. See pictures below. Not sure if this one is the junk one.

I am also still thinking of the Quincy at $1399 http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200350475_200350475

As for the compressors I am still wobbling at $799 vs $1399 Wondering if I get the $799 one and next year when cash is more flush buying the quincy one maybe even going up to 7.5 Quincy and selling the the HF one for $600 I am sure people would jump all over that.

So my question is what else do I need that I am not thinking about. I think I need a water separator. I am going to just put in compressor, electrify it and want to plug in with a hose. fancy stuff will come later. So I need something to separate the water next to it right? Where should I get that from.? Is that a whole other week of research?

#43 ·
We have been trying to point out that the US General compressor at HF is NOT Chinese and it is not junk. That one you have in the pics is an American built compressor except for the very good quality Italian built pump. That is a good compressor and the fact it is from HF means little as it is actually a rebadged Belaire. That US General is a good home shop outfit and is hard to beat for the money but of course the Quincy being more of an industrial type unit (and priced accordingly) is going to last longer and will have a heavier duty cycle. It all depends on the kind of service you need, if you are only looking at home shop needs the the US General will perform well and last a while but if you need full time service 8 to 10 hours a day 5 or 6 days a week then the Quincy is the obvious choice.

Also if you only need home shop service and can spend the extra money then you can count on that Quincy for many years, maybe a lifetime. :)

#44 · (Edited)
OK. Glad I posted the pic's. Just saved myself $600 bucks in the short run (I know in the long run the Quincy is the better investment). The guy at HF did mention that was an American made as far as mostly assembled here in the USA. Some of the innards could be Chinese he did comment.

I am definitely leaning way farther toward the HF one now as my starter big boy compressor. Wife is also leaning toward that price over the $1400. Since I will most likely need more pieces and have not accounted for that. She knows me.

So what else should I get to run it.? To plug in a tool into that thing I should have _____ minimum. (ie water separator etc regulator etc.) Not going to do any painting just sanding nail gunning etc.

I build bee hives and run nail guns and sanders mostly. Will use it for other stuff I am sure later and will add in that whole water cooling system I read about when I get the garage/shop built. If you ever want to start bee keeping come over to our forum http://www.beesource.com/forums/index.php

#45 ·
I don't know what he means about "Chinese innards" and I suppose almost nothing is 100% USA made anymore but the US General/Belaire is far more than just "assembled" in the USA. That thing is about as American as you are going to find anywhere and I have to admit I was very much surprised, and impressed, when I learned they were indeed a real Belaire product and not just a stripped down unit based on an AMERICAN built Belaire tank.

This is where that US General compressor comes from and it is not Chinese, scroll down the page and you will find the US General you are looking at but it will be a different color with a different name.

www.asedeals.com/air_compressors_copy.html

I just visited your site and yes I am very interested, I will definitely be checking it out. :thumbup:

#46 ·
eastsidebuzz said:
I have gotten allot of education on compressors the last few days. Glad I found this forum (thanks oldred) and a few others off of posts in this fourm. These are some of the ones I found especially helpful outside of here.

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=90894

Be careful here, I checked out that site and IMO that thread contains some terrible advice, most is good but a lot of it is just plain wrong!

#47 ·
eastsidebuzz said:
That's the same unit I was being quoted for:
For my second call I found a Quincy, a bit less money (~200) with a 1399 RPM motor and 16.2 CFM at 175 but only a 60 gallon tank:
Quincy Compressor Model QT54-5-60V Reciprocating Air Compressor rated at 16.2 ACFM at 175 PSIG

That unit (the QT-54) is also known as 2V41C60VC. Quality and quiet unit based on the reviews. I have to say, I'm getting tired over thinking this and oldred has convinced me of the risks. The Quincy seems to be a great value for the money and I can get it supported locally. Its also slightly cheaper here:

http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/Quincy-2V41C60VC-Air-Compressor/p855.html

#48 · (Edited)
By the way, the specs the guy gave me on the phone for the QT-54 are wrong. It is the same unit:

http://www.mesaequipment.com/Html/Products/Quincy/qt54.html

W-A-I-T NEVERMIND, proven myself wrong again. There are multiple units. The more expensive one I've been quoted runs at slower RPMs which must be quieter and is slightly more powerful.

So the 2V41C60VC must be actually the QTV-54-60E running at higher RPMs and slightly less power and CFM than the QTV-54-60.

Why do they make it so complicated....

#49 ·
Todd, becasue if it were easy we would all figure out that the HD is junk.

I am 99% sure I going to go with the HF one. I will drive the 200 miles to Portland so I can save the 80 in taxes though. (need to go for work anyway)

It is sure hard to spend the other 6 Franklins right now. I am sure I will need something else with I get this thing. I think the HF will be a great place holder for a Quincy in the future. I am not doing any kind of auto repair just building bee hives and general wood shop use. Like I said I have learned allot but, am over thinking my needs.

oldred said:
Be careful here, I checked out that site and IMO that thread contains some terrible advice, most is good but a lot of it is just plain wrong!
So do you think that whole air cooling system with pipes running up an an angle with drains everywhere is needed for general wood working?

#50 ·
eastsidebuzz said:
So do you think that whole air cooling system with pipes running up an an angle with drains everywhere is needed for general wood working?

Yes you certainly do need a good pipping system with the proper drains and there are several good configurations to fit your particular situation. This has been discussed in detail in several threads here so a search might bring up some info you might have missed. When I said there was some bad advice in that thread I did not mean all of it, actually most was right on, what I was referring to was mostly for compressor selection. Mostly it was such things as look for the biggest tank, etc and a couple of other compressor errors.

#51 ·
Harbor fright

Hey eastside, HF has discontinued their air driers. It is normally about 36$. I picked one up for 8$. They only had one left when I bought it. The desicant can be regenerated and you can get extra packs at their store. I don't know how well the drier works but for eight dollars I'll try it. :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.