Compressor and gun - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2006, 01:08 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Compressor and gun

I need to spray 2k epoxy primer and possibly some paint later on.
I went to Harbor Freight and found this compressor:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=47065

I'm looking at this gun:
http://stores.channeladvisor.com/the...=RP8609/R400GB

Am I getting close to what I need to paint 2k epoxy primer and possibly some paint?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2006, 01:22 PM
Experienced Amateur

Last wiki edit: Automobile body and frame rotisserie
Wiki Edits: 2

For another $100-150, you could get one thatd put out about 3-3 1/2 times as much air.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJr
For another $100-150, you could get one thatd put out about 3-3 1/2 times as much air.
Thanks for the helpful hint, man, why didn'y I think of that? Oh yeah, it was because I DON"T HAVE THE MONEY!!
Old 09-24-2006, 10:36 AM
Experienced Amateur

LOL Well I would wait til I could get a good one rather than trying to get by with one too small. Cuz Im afraid that one will be very frustrating trying to make it work.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:23 AM

Last photo:

Lincoln, After reading some of your other posts I think I understand what you have in mind and for that reason I believe that gun would work just fine for you. However the Harbor Freight "cheapie" would work just fine too and it costs even less. As I understand it you want nothing more than to replace rattle cans for spot priming and to spray some epoxy on a frame and maybe some spots on the body? For that I see no reason to buy a gun/compressor setup that would be capable of an entire paint job. The HF gun has a 1.4 tip and the Tuul Shed gun has a 1.5 which may handle the epoxy better but I think the 1.4 should be ok, maybe someone more familiar with the tip requirements for epoxy can help out here. I use a primer gun with a 1.6 tip for epoxy and I have not tried it from a gun with a 1.4.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=47016
Old 09-24-2006, 12:09 PM
Experienced Amateur

1.4 is OK for most epoxy primers but I wouldnt go any smaller. I think a 1.5-1.6 is about the middle of the range. I tried it once with my topcoat gun which has a 1.3 and I didnt like it, but it does much better using my 1.4 gun or my 1.8.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:17 PM

Last photo:

I have a couple of those HF guns left over from when we used them to spray rebuilt equipment with Rustoleum, I will go mix up some epoxy (omni MP 170) and try it with the 1.4 tip and we will find out how well it works Bear with me here, I will try to get around to doing this today.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:23 PM
Experienced Amateur

Ohoh, oldreds gonna primer his house with epoxy just to test out his gun
Old 09-24-2006, 12:39 PM

Last photo:

Here kitty, kitty
Old 09-24-2006, 12:54 PM
Experienced Amateur

LMAO oldred.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:13 PM

Last photo:

Old red is probably gonna spray that kegger he has sitting in the garage. A little epoxy fumes + alcohol = one nice primer job, lol. Stand back people.
I can see how lincoln is getting confused here, with so many people telling him different things. Like I said you don't need an overly expensive gun for primer IMO. I've done a complete paint job back in the centari enamel days with a 3 hp compressor of decent size and conventional gun. Also painted a limo for a friend with a smaller compressor in a backyard tarp tent they had built, both in my younger days. Is it ideal, no. Were they absolutely perfect, no, not many paint jobs have no flaws anywhere. Can you get by, yes with the right choice of gun, a fairly decent size compressor and weather and some basic tools for prep. Choose the right paint and it can be buffed out. Don't know many people that never need or want to buff. Someone new with a spray gun will most likely be buffing. He started out wanting to put rattle can junk on his car. But now you are trying to talk him into buying a real big compressor. It took me many years to get the tools and compressor I have now, and if I were rich I'd have more and better ones. True its wise to buy the biggest compressor, best spray guns you can afford if you will be doing a lot of the work, but many hobbiests and backyarders get by with less and turn out some decent work. How bout some good suggestions on good tools on a budget.
Old 09-24-2006, 04:29 PM

Kenseth17 and oldred

Thanks for the encouragement!! You understand my problem perfectly. Someone has offered me a Sears model 919-156240. Although it is branded Sears it is a Devilbiss gun with their name on it. He doesn't know the tip size though and I have Googled it with no luck. Anyway it's worth a shot and I think I have enough info to find a usable gun if it doesn't work. With your encouragement I feel a little more confident now and a little less likely to sit in the garage with the engine running.

Kenseth17 - Sorry about your man's bad luck at Dover today!! Really thought he was going to pull it off!
Old 09-25-2006, 04:25 PM

Last photo:

Ok I finally got around to spraying that epoxy with the 1.4 tip HF gun and as I would have guessed it worked just fine. I just thinned with Acetone to the recommended max of 10% and everything was normal, at least with the Omni MP 170 which seems to be a decent epoxy for not much money. I would not even think of recommending this gun for painting but for primer it should be more than just adequate and in all probability would produce decent results with paint also.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:28 PM
Paintshop Dog

Last photo:

Kenseth17 - Sorry about your man's bad luck at Dover today!! Really thought he was going to pull it off![/QUOTE]

I'm not! HA HA HA HA HA HA!
There is no Bow-tie on that 17!

Anyway back to the subject. I'd advise you to remember your compressor can be your best friend or your worst enemy. You've got to think "big picture". What else might you want to use it for? How long do you intend to keep it? ...It's probably going to be with you a while, and get used alot ,therefore, this is not a good place to skimp on the "shop" budget.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.