Compressor Help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2009, 04:32 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Compressor Help

Ok well I got my compressor wired up and bought a shut off valve and fittings for my line. When I turn my compressor on the pressure gauge shows no pressure. Its the gauge mounted on the electrical box along with the pressure relief valve.

Here is a quick pic of what mine looks like. Is everything where its supposed to be? Cause on the website that shows the compressor it shows the valve box on the front of the compressor not the side.

Is the gauge bad? The little box has 3 openings. The top (pressure relief valve) the left side (pressure gauge) and the bottom (capped off)
I let the compressor run for like 2 minutes and the gauge still showed nothing. I opened the ball valve and let a bunch of air out. So I know its getting pressure.

Also what do you guys use to seal your fittings? Teflon tape isnt cutting it.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2009, 06:49 PM
Eschew Cowards

Gague is probably fine, you just putit in the wrong place in the air circuit.

Attach the gague to the ball valve to determine if the gague is good, and work from there.

For the 53,987th time, Teflon tape is not a sealant. Teflon is a lubricant and it is mixed into the plastic tape carrying the teflon. The purpose of teflon tape is to allow you to pull fittings tight. The plastic tape will fill in some of the imperfections in the thread.

Go get a can of Tite Unite and pull the fittings up properly.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:12 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzİ
For the 53,987th time, Teflon tape is not a sealant.
Seem kinda exciteable.

53,987 might be a tad inflated, considering you have- as of this writing- a total of 15 posts on this forum.

Check into some decaf- I hear it helps.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:13 PM

Last photo:

Well the box on the side come already attached to the compressor and the motor already wired to the box. I think they call it the pressure switch.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:19 PM
Eschew Cowards

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
Seem kinda exciteable.

53,987 might be a tad inflated, considering you have- as of this writing- a total of 15 posts on this forum.

Check into some decaf- I hear it helps.
This isn't the only place I've posted that gem. 53,986 times are on other sites, and telling it to people directly. I have a scoresheet right here.

DeCaf is like lite beer, it's a cheap substitute for phoneys who like to pee a lot.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:27 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

after you get that gauge working right make sure you pull that pressure releaf valve to see if its holding back pressure and not in the wrong hole too or you'll be sorry.It might not be a bad idea to do some research and get to know the basics of compressor operation. this stuff can really hurt you or worse ,not to be taken lightly.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:56 PM

Last photo:

Well I got it working. I took the gauge out and put it back in and it worked. confuses the hell out of me. I do understand how a compressor and all its componets work. I just didnt know if it was in the right plug or not. My new compressor is GREAT builds pressure FAST and yes the release valve works. When i switch the compressor to off you can hear it let out a tad bit of air.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:01 PM

make sure the air cleaner stays clean and the oil is clean and you'll be ok.now the fun starts
Old 04-08-2009, 06:12 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbrown
yes the release valve works. When i switch the compressor to off you can hear it let out a tad bit of air.

Nope, that is not the relief valve and has nothing to do with the relief valve but it is certainly good that it is working! What you are hearing is the pump unloader valve that bleeds the pressure off of the pump when it shuts down so that when it restarts it will not have to restart under a load which would require far more start torque than the motor is designed for. The way this circuit works is there is a oneway valve between the supply line from the pump and the tank which allows air to flow from the pump into the tank but not back from the tank into the pump. The unloader is then activated by the pressure switch when it shuts off the power to the motor and the air pressure that is in the pump and supply line to the tank is discharged, that is the short hiss you hear and it is normal. Failure of that valve is probably the leading cause of motor failure due to excessive starting torque so it is a good idea to check periodically to make sure it is working properly.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:32 PM

the pressure relief is a piece about 2.5-3" long and 1/2 -3/4" in circumferance it has a ring through it there may be two ,if you pull the ring the air will come out. If the electrical switch fails to shut the motor off it prevents the pressure from building up to high and blows the access air off the tank. dont pull the ring under full pressure it'll scare the crap out of you wait till its around 40lbs to test just pull the ring then push it back in ,being that its new it should be ok but I check my compressor every two weeks top to bottom,the whole shop depends on it so does everybodies check

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.