Compressor Help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2004, 08:09 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Compressor Help

Hey guys. I am having trouble with looking for a compressor. I restore old cars for fun and I am looking to upgrade my 30 gal sears compressor. I want the larger compressor because I will be painting a few cars a year. I am using a DeVilbiss Finishline spray gun. I know I want at least a 60 gal unit, belt driven and I would love it to be two stage. However, finances dictate other. So I only have $500.00 to spend. I was set on the Puma at Harbor Freight lots of CFM and in the right price range $500.00. Well, Sears is having a special and has a 60 gal two stage compressor for $435.00. The only thing is that is not belt driven and the CFM's are lower than I expected. I have listed links for each compressor below. Based on my usage (painting, etc) requirements what do you guys suggest. Unless you have another suggestion. I just want to get one. I am tired of looking around.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=34887

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00 916561000&tab=spe#tablink

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2004, 02:36 PM

I'm in the same boat as you are. Looking to spend around $500 for a two stage. I saw the Sears also but I don't want a non belt driven compressor. Too noisy. The closest I could find so far is at Lowes. Two stage Camble Hausfield (sp?) $627. If anyone knows of a supplier that sells a two stage, belt driven for something closer to $500 I would be interested also. I don't want to take a chance with EBay either.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:23 PM
Muscle car fan

Last photo:

i got a craftsman 60 cal 7hp single stage compressor for doing painting and bodywork. the bodywork tools i could have used some more cfm for as you need to have it catch up, but for painting itself the compressor is more than enough.

can't remember if mine was 599 or 699 canadian
Old 11-23-2004, 10:04 PM
Old enough to know better

I would not buy a direct drive compressor for any kind of serious use.
If you are ready to buy right now, you might want to check out Sears Friday morning. My son tells me they are having a major Christmas kickoff sale for 5 hours in the morning. I think it is a nation-wide deal.

You might also want to check out

http://www.eatoncompressor.com/page/page/504413.htm

They sell what seem to be some heavy duty compressors at pretty good prices.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:48 AM

Last photo:

Thanks guys I appreciate it I will keep looking.
Old 11-25-2004, 07:03 AM

I debated this same question when I was ready to buy a new compressor. The sears compressors had a good price, but the CFM was not that great and I did not want a direct drive pump. Looked at some Coleman compressors that had a good price, but didn't look like they were very good quality (foam air filter, etc). Also think about how long it will last. Think seriously about the ingersol-rand 60 gal. You can get this through sears. Very good quality compressor with good CFM. Only problem is that it is $1000. I debated and spent the $1000 since it is something that I will have for a lot of years and it can be repaired. It will also handle all the air tools that you have or will have and you won't regret it 6 months down the road. my 2c
Old 11-27-2004, 10:38 AM

Last photo:

I went thru the same thought process on my compressor 2 years ago. I ended up with a DeVillbiss 6.5 HP single stage with 60 gal tank.. I use for re-doing my 52 chevy pick-up(painting,grinding,sandblasting, plasma cutter et..etc. Horse power, cfm and tank size are part of the equation....don't forget DUTY CYCLE( time on versus time off for cooling).....especially if you decide to go with borderline sizing...When I am doing prolonged work, I have a external fan blowing on the compressor. for additional cooling. I wish now that I would have spent the extra for dual stage, bigger compressor.........
Old 11-27-2004, 04:30 PM
Old enough to know better

You will almost certainly never regret buying a good compressor. I got a good deal on an industrial duty used 2 stage and, every time I use air, I'm thankful I got a good compressor. I've found I use air tools more and more. They are fast, light, and safe - even in a rainstorm (yeah, impact wrench and flat tire!)
Old 11-27-2004, 06:12 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Hey Daveh.....You have a PM!!!
Old 11-27-2004, 08:34 PM

Last journal entry: The car as I found it.
Last photo:

I just picked up a new one a few weeks ago. I found an Ingersoll model SS5N5 at Tractor Supply Co. for $750. It is a single stage, 80 gal, 11.8hp peak, 5hp running (the important one) and puts out 18.1 cfm at 90. 100% duty cycle with synthetic oil. This is the same compressor as the SS5L5 but with an 80 gal tank. I started looking at the units for under or around $500 and I am so glad that I stepped up to this one. I used it this weekend to pump about 200lbs of sand through a siphon feed sandblaster, and the compressor was only running at about 50-60% duty with me continually sandblasting. It is unbelievably quiet compared to the oil free units or my beat down 25 year old sears unit. Keep in mind your power requirements too; the one that I got pulls 22.5 Amps full load on a 220V circuit. I donít know if you have a Tractor Supply in your area, but I think that they may be doing a 3 months 0% interest on a TSC credit card. Anyway, that is my 2 cents worth.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:08 AM

Last photo:

I was in the same boat as you and had no luck finding a quality compressor in the $500 range. I saved up and bought a 60 gal, 5hp, 16cfm at 175psi quincy compressor for around $900. I bought it from harbor freight but it shipped directly from Quincy.

That was the best tool purchase I ever bought. You can use a DA or any other type of sander all day without even dropping below 150psi. I still haven't tried my sandblaster with it yet but it should work pretty good.

kev

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.